Tri colored bay pinto = Bay Pinto

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_smile.png
Ironically we were just discussing this at a breed and judges meeting recently. Things that "real" horsemen do NOT say:

Confirmation

Tri-Colored

intermixing Paint and Pinto

calling something a stud colt

List goes on and on... but like what clothing you wear - REALLY does reflect negatively on what folks think of you...

Exactly. Perhaps, instead of "real", I should have said "professional" or "serious". I try to keep what I say professional and businesslike in my horse dealings. Odd/bad words and phrases make me cringe... like the above "stud colt", "filly colt", etc. You really DO need to watch what you say/how you say it, as it reflects- good or bad- on how OTHERS perceive you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Perhaps, instead of "real", I should have said "professional" or "serious". I try to keep what I say professional and businesslike in my horse dealings. Odd/bad words and phrases make me cringe... like the above "stud colt", "filly colt", etc. You really DO need to watch what you say/how you say it, as it reflects- good or bad- on how OTHERS perceive you.
I understand advertising in a professional matter is important, especially for those in the industry. One who is serious in the horse business respect terms generally accepted by registies and the like. To be sure, when I register a bay pinto horse, I don't put "tri colored" in the color description. So I totally get the fuss. Many are serious minded, and seem touchy on the matter. All in all, I understand "tri colored" is an option to describe a pinto horse with three colors on his body..., and a term not used, recognized by many who are in the horse industry. Doesn't mean they are better horseman, just more serious and detail oriented about it. Personally, I like the term "tri colored"...I love paints and pintos, and the word gets my attention. I don't feel snobby about using it. In closing,I'm really glad I decided to shared my original conversation. Now, I realize...horsey terms are a serious matter for many. I super appreciate everyone writing about it. Take care
default_saludando.gif

I understand advertising in a professional matter is important, especially for those in the industry. One who is serious in the horse business respect terms generally accepted by registies and the like. To be sure, when I register a bay pinto horse, I don't put "tri colored" in the color description. So I totally get the fuss. Many are serious minded, and seem touchy on the matter. All in all, I understand "tri colored" is an option to describe a pinto horse with three colors on his body..., and a term not used, recognized by many who are in the horse industry. Doesn't mean they are better horseman, just more serious and detail oriented about it. Personally, I like the term "tri colored"...I love paints and pintos, and the word gets my attention. I don't feel snobby about using it. In closing,I'm really glad I decided to shared my original conversation. Now, I realize...horsey terms are a serious matter for many. I super appreciate everyone writing about it. Take care
default_saludando.gif
Great way to look at it
default_smile.png
Gives some food-for-thought for folks when writing ads, etc whom they wish to attract...

Thanks Candi. By the way, I like your name, "CW Colored"
Right back atcha!
default_smile.png
It's hubby and I's first initials and then we *mainly* show "color breeds" - and focus on performance
default_smile.png

Took me a while to get our logo "just right" but LOVE it now!

I'm sorry, but a three colored horse can be described as tri colored. Nothing petty about it. Paint is a breed, and pinto is color. I could say tri colored paint if it had three colors on his body or "bay paint".

Tricoloured (horse)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A tri-coloured horseTri-coloured (archaic: oddbald) refers to a horse with three different coat colours in a pinto spotting pattern of large white and dark patches, usually bay (a reddish colour with a black mane and tail) and white.

If you ask any college teacher you will find that wikipedia is not a source to be used, in fact if it is used a person will lose points. That said, I too walk away from ads that seemed to be wrote by the uneducated. If you must use tri color, then leave the bay out. Just list it as a tri color pinto.

If you ask any college teacher you will find that wikipedia is not a source to be used, in fact if it is used a person will lose points. That said, I too walk away from ads that seemed to be wrote by the uneducated. If you must use tri color, then leave the bay out. Just list it as a tri color pinto.
That's interesting...My college professors never shared that about wikipedia. Perhaps now they want one to look harder for research purposes, thus the lose of points for wikipedia??? Well anyway, I popped on there just as a quick source. There must be something said about the term, as I was able to find a classification for tri colored horses for sale on equine now. Crazy world. Something for everyone
default_yes.gif
http://www.equinenow.com/tricolor.htm

That's interesting...My college professors never shared that about wikipedia. Perhaps now they want one to look harder for research purposes, thus the lose of points for wikipedia??? Well anyway, I popped on there just as a quick source. There must be something said about the term, as I was able to find a classification for tri colored horses for sale on equine now. Crazy world. Something for everyone
default_yes.gif
http://www.equinenow.com/tricolor.htm
Just for reference, we are restricted from using Wikipedia at my college and old high school.
default_yes.gif

ANYONE can put information on wikipedia which is why is not allowed to be used as a credible source. You don't know where the information is coming from let alone if it's even remotely correct.

Yikes, times really are changing....I understand many schools are using online books instead of regular text books!
default_smile.png
On line books, but not wikipedia, where you could actually post the information yourself to back up what you are saying!

I'm in the group that sees a term such as 'tri-color' being used to describe a bay pinto as silly--an ad that uses this term definitely, for me, loses credibility. I presume the seller figures it sounds more exotic than 'bay pinto' and that's why they use the term. Bay is simply bay, it's not 'two colors' so adding white to it doesn't make it tri-color.

Tri-color works for collies and even calico cats, but pinto horses? not so much.

Sorry, you did ask, so we're just answering the question.

The times that I hate when people say tri-colored is when they try to say that it is a 'rare' color, something special and ask more money for the rare horse. I was told in the past that in order for it to be tri-colored it had to have the 3 colors on the body, that the mane and tail did not count or below the knees. I always say bay pinto for my horses and if I get a dun or buckskin I will call them dun pinto or buckskin pinto. Not tri-colored pinto.

Marsha

Well if we all want a really good chuckle I once saw a sales ad for a "tri-colored" pinto mini "stud colt" for sale. He was black and white with blue eyes...I guess the blue eyes were what they considered the third color!!!!!!!!
default_new_rofl.gif
This horse also had a negative "cogens".

Latest posts

Back