Travelling to Nationals-This permit for Illinois

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanothercowgirl

Reaction score
If I have to go through Illinois do I need the permit to do so??

It says on the Illinois website...."All equine entering Illinois for any reason other than slaughter must be accompanied by a negative test for EIA conducted within a year if the animal is more than one year of age, certificate of veterinary inspection issued by an accredited veterinarian within 30 days of entry, and an entry permit number issued by the Illinois Department of Agriculture. NOTE: animals passing through Illinois and not being unloaded in the state are not required to obtain an entry permit or meet Illinois entry requirements. These animals are required to meet the entry requirements for the state of destination only."

I am not planning on unloading my horse in Ill. so technically I would not require one according to this but if I were to have a breakdown or an accident then I would HAVE to unload my horse and then I would need one?

The following information will be required for the entry permit number:

Name and mailing address of owner of the animal

Date of the EIA test

Location where the animal is going

Also says the above info is needed...I don't have an Ill. location as obviously I am going to Tulsa so I am just wondering what folks who have to travel through Illinois generally do in regard to this???

Thanks!

Pam my sister and I have travelled through Illinois several times with horses and have actually stopped in Illinois for a couple shows. We had our coggins and health certs that you need to cross the American border anyway and that was it. We didn't have any trouble at all and no one asked to see anything else.

I don't know if you "technically" need it or not if you're not stopping, but it's free and you can get it via a telephone call, so I just always do. Here is the info/phone number:

Entry permits numbers are available by calling the Illinois Department of Agriculture, 217/782-4944 and are issued 24 hours a day, seven days a week. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR OBTAINING AN ENTRY PERMIT FROM THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE.

Here is a link to the actual site:

http://www.agr.state.il.us/AnimalHW/equinereq.html

At Congress, they did look for the permit number on the health certificate. I would call the animal health commission there, explaining you are traveling thru the state. But, I would bet you would have to get it (it's easy, your vet just gives them your information and they give you a number).

Oh, FYI, the state speed limit there for vehicles pulling trailers is 55 mph. It drove my husband and I CRAZY going to Congress, so I finally got behind the wheel and found me a trucker with a radar detector!
default_wink.png
: 70 all the way baby! :risa8:

You do not need one to pass through the state, but as mentioned its free so you can do it if you wish
default_smile.png
Its just another hoop to jump through. I didn't get one when I passed through the state. Its small enough that its only an hour or two, so no worries
default_smile.png

Hi Pam -- we have done both ways -- with permit & without as you are only through sort of a corner of Illinois-- however -- IF you have a breakdown & have to unload the horses -- you may be needing it -- it is free - you can phone that number & get it or your vet can phone - it is FREE & assures you will have no possible hassle. THe hting is -- after you are in the state of Illinois you cannot as a Canadian get it as it is required to ENTER the state soo better safe than sorry -- no cost or hassle to get it.

Back