Trasportation question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
In the next month or so I will be transporting a mare and her young month old foal from Michigan to Missouri. What is the youngest horse you have ever transported? Does anyone have any advice to help me get these 2 beauties down to my home in Missouri as safely and comfortably as possible? Thank you all for your help.

Will the foal be one month old when it moves or closer to two months old? Are you hauling them or are they going commercial?? How long is the drive estimated to take, either way you transport them?

Most young foals do just fine when they are with there mothers. I personally would haul them myself verses a shipper but that is up to you. Give them plenty of room and when we have a mare and foal on board we try to keep water in her "room" at all times.

I've shipped a one month old foal with it's dam from OR to OK in the past with no adverse effects. Just make sure they have plenty of room so the foal can lay down.

Plenty of room for mom and foal. Plenty of water. And don't forget to take some Electolyte paste for mom to keep her drinking water! If she dehydrates at all, it will affect her milk production.

MA

This might be obvious, but just putting it in: Don't tie them, if possible. Especially, NEVER tie a young one who isn't trained to stand tied. Just my 2 cents..................k
default_smile.png

I just hauled a 16 day old foal last weekend, 7 hours. Gave them the two back stalls in my 3 horse slant trailer, left them untied, bedded it VERY deep, water and hay. Stopped a couple of times to let them rest. Everything went just fine. :aktion033:

I was scared to death to haul the filly. That's the first time I have hauled a foal, but everything was okay. :aktion033:

Ditto to NOT tying the mare. She will FREAK OUT. Also agree with nice deep bedding........good advice.

(Sorry if I sound "bossy".......hubby has transported dozens of moms and babies over the years.....)

MA

I haul all the time. Just took 3 mares with 2 foals to Limestones last weekend from Wisconsin. That is about 725 miles one way.

One of the foals (filly) was 5 days old. Just haul mares that are buddies together and seperate the others. They need space and no strange horses. I never tie horses unless a stallion that I worry will try to go over the stall to see what is going on with the mares. Don't need that kind of problem either. :no:

Lots of hay and tie a bucket of water in. Would like to get a watering system that I saw at Nationals last year with the Hawk trailers. Very nice system. And a camera. My goals for next year with a new trailer.

And most important. Check them every couple of hours and give them a break and PHYSICALLY look them over.
default_smile.png
I have never had a problem thru the years and I am on the road constantly 3/4 of the year.

Back