Training the owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
Being a total novice when it comes to living with horses...be they miniature or not....I decided it would be a good idea to get some individual training for *me*. I came to this conclusion after meeting a couple of really great ladies at a driving clinic in May.

After the clinic was over, I approached the trainer and asked her about individual lessons. She was happy to set something up with me and gave me her phone number to contact her when I was ready. Yesterday was our first session. I have to say it was exceptional and well worth the investment in time and money.

As my two biggest concerns are the training of our yearling and the soon-to-be-here weanling, she pulled out a foal from the farm's barn (one that has had no halter/lead training, although all these foals are handled well from birth) and we worked with her for about 15-20 minutes. Already, I have a good idea on how to begin working with the weanling that is coming home to us on Saturday. I would have been happy to end our session right there!

Next she pulled out yearling gelding that she is training for another client. She gave me a good idea of how he should be walking on lead and then gave me a very low-key demonstration of lungeing on a 6ft lead. Very gentle, very short session for the yearling. She cautioned me that overworking a yearling with lungeing could be detrimental to the horse. She also showed me how she's working with him to stand like you want in a halter class.

Finally, she pulled out one of the farm's own yearling fillies. This girl, Bunny, is very much at the same stage as my yearling girl Izzy. The trainer put Bunny through some lead/halter practice. Then she handed Bunny over to me so I could get a hands-on feel of it all while she watched and gave me pointers.

The good news is that we're actually doing a lot of the right things already and with just a few adjustments, I was able to come right home and get my girl out of the pasture and replicate the very things I was doing with Bunny. I can actually do this!

Last but not least, the farm's owner told me that she's contemplating putting together a fun show next spring, one especially for all of us mini / showing newbies. The idea is to have a "real" show environment but on a level where good, constructive criticism and some training can be given to the people showing. A real judge would be brought in and everything.

I'm still on the fence about showing. I know I'd like to eventually get into cart (country pleasure) showing or hunter/jumper showing but I hadn't really thought we'd go the halter class route. This potential fun show could give us an idea of whether it's for us or not.

My advice to any other newbie out there...if you have access to this kind of training...GO FOR IT! Much thanks to Linda (trainer) and Kathy (owner) at Valhalla Farm in Carroll County, Maryland.

Thats awsome. I would love to get more experience with training but there really isn't anyone close to me. I would love to show but I hate to just go out there knowing nothing. I think a small introduction show is a great idea. Gets you the feel of how the ring would work but with people there to basically guide you in every step.

Sounds like a great time! Our family got our first mini, Peek-A-Boo, last summer and took him to a highly recommended trainer (Lori Rafter - Milo on this forum) I think she got more than she bargained as we have had him there continuing his training for over a year with us showing up every weekend for lessons. (He is amazing now! She had him amazing awhile ago but we kept going anyway
default_smile.png
) Now we have acquired 2 more that are now in training for driving and halter and thankfully she allowed us to keep Peek there too. We aren't planning on leaving anytime soon!
default_wink.png
She has taught us so much and we have made a great friend too! Any trainer have clients that won't leave? LOL I picture us as senior citizens making our weekly trip to Lori's. Lori if you read this WE LOVE YOU!!

Last edited by a moderator:
dreaminmini: That is funny! My only problem is that I can't imagine not having my girls right out my back door. I guess if we ever got REALLY serious and trying it ourselves wasn't working out, we'd have to consider it.

Awwww...... Kim
default_wub.png
You know I enjoy your visits every bit as much as you do and, when or if you were to ever leave, there would be a big hole in my barn. That is one of the biggest benefits of my job - I get to meet all kinds of similiar minded wonderful horse people!

I think you are very wise to be able to recognize that you also need training 'wingnut'. I wish more people would enlist some help with their horses large or small. I get a lot of "ornery, rotten horses" in that are really just lovely horses that have been mishandled (not mistreated or abused) and have become what their owners unknowingly made them through misguided love and inexperience.

dreaminmini: That is funny! My only problem is that I can't imagine not having my girls right out my back door. I guess if we ever got REALLY serious and trying it ourselves wasn't working out, we'd have to consider it.
At some point I would love to have my guys and gal at home and be able to go out my back door and spend time with them. Right now, we don't have a choice because we live in an apartment in the city. If I want them they have to be boarded somewhere. We could probably find somewhere closer but definitely not better. I trust Lori and know they are well taken care of and have excellent training. I keep threatening to move in next door so we will always have a driving partner to go down the road with. May just do it yet.
default_biggrin.png

I would love to find someone around me that could give me some one-on-one trainning lessons so I can better myself with my horse in the showring too. I cant aford to send my horse out, but I feel with a couple hours with some very helpful points and direction. I think I would enjoy showing my minis more than trying to figure all out on my own and feel more confident!

Its such a great feeling to find a trainer that clicks with you...It makes the whole showing thing so much fun , and without worries. I just found a trainer , and Friday I go for a lesson, I cant wait.

Latest posts

Back