Training Side Passes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conundrum

Reaction score
I am training my mini's for performance and although I am getting "half decent" side passes, I am doing it my way, which is probably not as it should be trained, before I go any further I wodered if any of the paople here who do train their mini's can give me some tips please.
default_wacko.png
:

I have had excellent results by doing this-

teach your mini to move away from pressure wherever you put pressure on thier body. I teach them to move thier butt by putting my hand in the middle of the rump area. I keep the pressure on until they move the rear over. I put my hand on the shoulder and put pressure till they move over. Once they have that down pretty well I'll put one hand on each and say "over". Once they know what you want you'll be able to just point at the shoulder and rump and say "over". Once they do that make a motion (like you are shooing them over) with both hands and say "over". If you do that consistantly they will move over by the "shooing" motion or by verbal command "over". You can further refine that to teach them to sidepass with you standing in front of them and moving over and they do the same. You need a second person to help you through all the steps. It's a step by step process but you'll see progress very quickly!
default_smile.png

jTammie

Please check out my website if you want to see some more explanation for how to side pass, although Tammie's explanation is quite awesome.

Here is how I do it. First, your horse needs to be used to a stud chain under the chin and know how to back up and step forward. To teach side passes and pivots is necessary that your horse be able to disengage the shoulders or hips as you request. Second, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HORSE. You can't touch the horse in the obstacle or showmanship class so don't get in the habit at home when practicing. Third, use some sort of pole laying on the ground so you have a visual of where to keep your horse's feet.

Now, that you're set up. Lead your horse over the pole with the front feet in front and the back feet behind. Stand in front of or to the left side of your horse. Lift up on the chain and with the chain, push your horse's front end away from you (this will swing the back end towards you) saying "side". Release and praise the horse when they move over (even if just an inch). Now, take one step towards your horse's hip and gently pull their head towards you so their hip moves away from you (release before their front end steps towards you). Now, they should be lined up fairly straight. Repeat until you side pass over the entire length of the pole. Its important to remember every time you ask the front or back end to move away that you release the pressure on your chain for a reward.

To sidepass to the right, hold your hand on the left pulling away from you and stand in front of or to the right of your horse. Use the same steps as above going to the right. With practice, you'll be able to stand just barely off to one side or the other, and with a small tug of your stud chain have your horse side pass in either direction.

Mercy learned at turn-out time and dinner time coming into the barn. She knew her hay was outside and her grain was inside so the incentive was there... she only had to walk sideways with her head perpendicular to the wall. I gave the over command and off she went. Food is everything to her.

In training off the wall, one must "anchor" the horse's head with the lead. He can move any way he likes except forward or backward - the handler prevents any motion forward or backward with the lead, which is why the wall is a great training aid, especially when one does not want to rely on touching a horse in training.

If a horse is a little slower, have someone shake a grain can a few steps away. The horse often gets the message quickly when presented with such an incentive.
default_yes.gif
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Please check out my website if you want to see some more explanation for how to side pass, although Tammie's explanation is quite awesome.
Jamie, I checked out your website. Well done. Being a new mini owner. I found it to be helpful.

Thank you.

Thank you. Is there anything specific you would like to see up there? I am ALWAYS open to suggestions, just as if you think that I have a training method that could be taken in a manner that could be turned cruel, please tell me. I am not going to get mad, as long as no one is telling me that I am doing it all wrong, or am cruel or something.

Latest posts

Back