Training Help Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash's mom

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently started my guy driving and he has a nice cadence to his trot that he holds himself. My problem is his walk. It's slow and lazy. What excercises can I do on the ground and in the cart to help get a more forward walk without him wanting to break into a trot all the time? Would alot of transitions be the answer?

Thanks for the help

Alison

Developing a good strong, forward moving walk on a horse that doesn't offer it himself is one of the hardest things to do with a driving horse and something you may never get from him if it just plain isn't there. When he is loose in a paddock or when you are working him freely does he have a good walk? If so then you will be able to eventually get it out of him in harness. If not then you will have to be happy with what he has to offer or perhaps a bit better if you work hard. It will take months and even as much as a couple years for him to develop enough strength to give you a good solid walk in the shafts.

First be sure you are working on ground that allows him to move freely - not loose or deep footing where he will struggle. Keeping good contact ask him to move forward with a kiss and verbal 'walk on'. If he offers his less than stellar walk give him a tap with the whip still keeping good contact so that he does not move up into the trot but only a stronger walk. If he doesn't offer to increase the length of his stride at all give him a more solid smack with the whip again keeping contact and not allowing him to trot. You can work him on long lines first until he understands what you are asking for - a stronger walk not a trot. You need to be careful not to jerk him in the mouth when he moves forward. You don't want to punish him for moving forward because of course that is what you want. There is a fine line in contact needed here - enough give to allow him to move forward without giving so much he trots or keeping so much you don't allow him to move. If you are constantly niggling him with kisses and little taps he will learn to ignore your commands. One kiss. one tap, one whap! Escalating cues so that he knows if he doesn't give you what you want there will be punishment and he will soon learn to listen to the kiss. I use a quiet kiss to ask for walk amd a stronger kiss to ask for trot from a halt. Developing a mgood walk takes time and consistancy. A good place to ask for it is out on the road or trail when you are heading home and he voluntarily wants to move stronger. ONce he offers the stronger walk you reward him with a give to your hands and perhaps a 'good boy!'

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have told you: Don't work on this ONLY. If you put too much effort into this at any one time he will get frustrated and tired and lose enthusiasm. Walk is the hardest gait for a horse in harness. Reward him big time when he offers any good increase in stride by either quitting work for the day or moving on to other things. Don't quit asking until you get at least even a slight increase in stride and then quit or move on but always ask him to give his best when he is walking and eventually he will build up the strength to give you the best he has.

I should also add that later on transitions will help to build strength in his back end which is where the motor is and with strength to push will come a better walk - you just can't start there or you are going to have a sore, tired and angry horse. Strength first - transitions later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Lori,

I will give these suggestions a try. I think that he can give me a better walk than what I am getting now. And you are correct when you say that it may not ever be stellar. I have to realize that as well. He's 6 this year and I spent the first year that I've owned him just doing alot of ground work and ground driving with him. He's been hooked now and driving on a regular basis about 2 months. I think part of the problem is my fault because when I am done working I would let him relax and stretch down at the walk as a reward if that makes sense. I didnt really spend any time trying to make it solid first. I like the idea of working on it on the way home.

He IS more motivated when the head is pointing back to the barn
default_xreiter.gif
Ha Ha

Alison

Using some of the advice given for training an extended trot, I worked with Mingus' natural motivation. I would take him for hand walks down our road, and as we returned to the barn/corral/other horses/end-of-work treat, I'd ask him to "walk-up" and move into a speed walk myself. The trick was getting him to step up his walk without breaking into a trot, but he eventually got it. Once he recognized the command I used it while longing and then driving. I don't know if this would work as well with other horses, but it worked for us.

Also, and perhaps more important, others pointed out that I was letting him see walking as a time to relax and goof off rather than real work. My own attitude adjustment helped with his.

Back