Training for eye care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Hogan

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Just posted a new video on teaching your horse to accept eye care. Hope you don't need it for an emergency, but it's always good to train for this ahead of time.

Peggy

OK

Tried to post the link AGAIN (arrrggh!)

I'm also going to put it in this original post. (edited)

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes you right back to the forum
Hey there....I reposted the link. Thanks....sorry about the goof up
default_wacko.png

OK....here is the direct cut and paste from YouTube.

It has always worked in the past so I'm baffled about what's going on now.

Hopefully this will work...!

default_thumbup.gif
Great video. Had to use that darned eye ointment a couple weeks ago. Horse behaved himself but it's always so hard to get the ointment where it's supposed to go.

default_thumbup.gif
Great video. Had to use that darned eye ointment a couple weeks ago. Horse behaved himself but it's always so hard to get the ointment where it's supposed to go.
Thanks Donna....hey...a vet told me something that made a huge difference. She said put the ointment on your finger...it's an antibiotic so don't worry and many injuries come from the tube poking the eye!

Cool tip eh?

Peggy

Peggy, thank you for the video. Excellent. And that is how I was taught by a vet I worked for to administer the eye ointments. But if anyone is interested, Vetericyn is incredible for any wounds and especially eye infections. In fact the last mini i rescued had an infected tear duct and my vet said sure to go ahead and try the Vetericyn. It is painless, nontoxic, and she desensitized to it more each day. After five days it cleared up, along with a good bath, clean stall and pen, and good feed.

I'm hoping to bounce this up to the top again. If it helps even a single one of you when you need it I'm glad.

Best to all...

scritched to the minis

Peggy Hogan

Great video Peggy.

Thanks for making it and posting too!

Having had four eye removals over the years and a bunch of eye injuries it really benefits having a cooperative horse.

Put a link to your video out on Twitter and FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
a vet told me something that made a huge difference. She said put the ointment on your finger
Interesting because my vet specifically said "don't put it on your finger" to get it in the eye.
default_wacko.png

a vet told me something that made a huge difference. She said put the ointment on your finger
Interesting because my vet specifically said "don't put it on your finger" to get it in the eye.
default_wacko.png
I know Donna, it's enough to make us crosseyed when even the vets don't agree. But this vet's logic went something like this:

If the ointment is an antibiotic you're covered.

Most people injure their horses AGAIN by trying to apply the meds with the tube.

Made sense to me....

Peggy

Peggy, I am going to try your exercise on ears and clippinng ears. Over the winter my 3 year old became terrible about his ears. I think he and the little stallion just bite and play too rough with each other, I had his ears examined at vet shot time so he doesn't have a medical issue, but it is irritating to deal with. Thanks for the idea, and if I ever get this foal on the ground and caught up, I need to continue more seriously our clicker training here!

Ointment should be applied with a GLOVED finger
default_smile.png

Andrea

Latest posts

Back