Training Cones

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdust

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for the orange training cones, at a good price, which I could purchase just to practice with? Thanks Debbie Goad

I buy the soccer cones at Walmart...4 cones for $4 if I remember right....I also have picked up those plastic pumpkins that kids trick or treat with after Halloween on sale for like 25 cents.

We have used 1 gallon plastic milk jugs filled with gravel or water.

We also have used the milk jugs, but they are a bit bulky to store. I found cones at the dollar store. They are sold as water toys, but they are stable, nest inside one another for storage and cost $1 apiece. They're only stocked in summer, however.

You might also check with the highway dept. to see if they have any used cones available.

Prefect! Thanks Barnmother!! I never can seem to find the cones at my Walmart. Love this forum!
default_worshippy.gif

The cones at Walmart are in the sports section near soccer stuff...Target has them too. The are collapsible if you run them over. Those rainbow ones are neat too!

I have just bought some of the scoccer cones. Is there anyplace that gives how far apart the cones should be? I just want to do something different driving and thought cones would be fun and get Lance's mind going again.

I have a set of the rainbow cones but don't think I ever opened them, nevermind used them! Guess I should buy another set and instead of numbering my cones I can just color-code them!

Leia

Distance between cones depends on what you are doing, but I suggest practicing with the narrowest possible spacing. I think (?) that is 2 inch wheel clearance for Progressive Cones??? I had been practicing with them farther apart and hen went to a Pleasure Driving Show where they were REALLY CLOSE (avatar photo, although that doesn't show how close they were!). I just set them in the field and go through them in random order so Princess never knows where we are going next. She loves this!! OK, we both do...

Back