Tragedy again!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fluid that's expelling from her uterus should resolve itself within the next couple of days. Additional, if you had increased her feed consumption for the impending foal that was to be you'll want to decrease it back to her normal amount. That should also help with her udder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Can you save her colostrum in hopes it will help another foal in need?

Leia

Oh no, I am so very sorry to read this. I've been thinking of you and your daughter lately and hoping that all would be well. It's so hard when you have losses like this, I felt the same way last year when we lost our mare and her baby, our only 2010 foal. but when you get a healthy beautiful baby finally, it's almost ok again. My prayers and heart are with your little girl....

Oh no! I'm so very sorry, what an absolute tragedy!

Sending hugs to you, your daughter and your little mare.

Anna

I, too, offer my deepest sympathy to your daughter, you and your family on this horrific loss. Life seems so unfair at times. But, such is life when it comes to breeding and raising animals.

I will say, that miniature horses are quite different when it comes to foaling, than their full size counterparts. Waxing and dripping milk are way less likely to occur in miniatures. Miniature mares can foal in 5 - 10 minutes, going from showing no signs of impending delivery to having a foal on the ground. As hard as it is, late term mares need to be watched 24/7 and they do keep us humans on our toes. (((Hugs))) to you and your daughter.

((hugs)) to all of you. I am at a loss for words.
default_no.gif

Oh no, I am so sorry for another loss. Poor Gracie, this type of thing is bad enough for an adult, let alone a young child.
default_no.gif

I too send {{{{ hugs}}}} and prayers for each of you. So sorry about your latest loss. Bless your hearts. Just starting in miniatures and I lost my foal this year. I feel your pain and am so very sorry for Gracie. Maybe knowing that she is not the only one experiencing loss will help in some way.

I am so, so sorry for your and Gracie's loss. My first foaling of this season ended in a terrible tragedy as well. I had a total melt down and about decided to totally get out of the minis that I love so much because as is stated so much on here, "breeding minis is not for the faint of heart". Well, I get very faint of heart when something happens to one of my animals, especially the precious little babies, it is very hard for me to take. Let Gracie know that I was questioning God myself. I was not blaming Him (I totally blamed my self and my mare). I did not even question why the foal had to die, but why it had to happen in such a cruel way.

Here is what happened to me:

I knew my mares were getting close to foaling, especially one mare, so I had been watching them all very closely, checking the bags every morning before I turned them out and every evening when I put them in their stalls for the night and even throughout the day if I felt like I saw any other signs. Well, I had just checked all my mares out in the fields and all were fine, acting completely normal. My mother-in-law had suprised us by making dinner for us, and my first thought was that I wanted to stay with my horses. I had not left my house for more than 15 minutes at a time just to take my kids to school and pick them up in the afternoons for about 3 weeks and everyone was getting really grumpy with me and tired of hearing the, "it's foaling season, I can't leave". I did not want to be rude and really and truely believed no mares were ready to foal before I could get back. So, we went and ate dinner and when I got home, I immediately went out to get my mares in for the night. It was later than usual and already dark outside. As soon as I went out, one of my mares, "Kisses", was waiting for me at the gate. I went ahead and let her in to her stall and fed her while I got all the other mares' feed ready. I got all the mares settled in and started my regular evening check of bags, vulva, and belly shapes and to oberve them for a while in their stalls. When I went into the stall with Kisses, I checked her bag and could tell a noticeable difference in it. I looked under her tail and all looked normal (not relaxed) and was dry. I did notice that the foal had dropped into position and thought, Hey, I may be staying in the barn tonight. Well, I took a sample of her milk and tested it. Her milk was yellowish, clear said thin and tested no where near ready to foal. I was suprised so I observed her for awhile and she was acting completely normal. So, I decided to go in for the night but thought she would foal within the next 2 or 3 nights. When I went out to feed and check on the mares the next morning, I went into the stall with Kisses. I immediately checked her bag and could tell that her milk had come in ALOT more. I looked at her and then it suddenly hit me - THIS MARE IS NO LONGER IN FOAL! I ran out to the fields praying not to find a dead foal. I finally found the sack and placenta by one of the hay sheds, but no foal. I ran around the fields looking until I spotted my female beagle dragging something under the fence on the far side of the field close to our driveway. I ran over to my dog and she had a dead foal.
default_no.gif
I jumped the fence and my dog ran. The foal was a gorgeous black appaloosa colt with a large blanket with big black spots and he had a beautiful star on his forehead. BUT MY DOG HAD CHEWED THE FACE OFF! I cannot tell you how horrible those first moments were, but they just got worse. The little colt had to have been born the evening before. Kisses obviously foaled him without a problem and then left him and came on down to eat dinner. She never called for him or even acted any different other than she was the first one down by several minutes to eat. She was still very large because her stomach had not contracted down yet and she definitely did not act in any pain that hour and a half I was out in the barn with her. I HAD NO IDEA! I DID NOT SUSPECT A THING. I EVEN MILKED HER AND STILL COULD NOT TELL THAT SHE HAD ALREADY FOALED!!! (that is the part that is so hard to accept!) The worst part was that when I found the colt the next morning, he was not even stiff yet. He was not even very cold. He had to have made it through most of the night, all alone, just out in the field on a very cold night, until he got weaker and weaker and finally died just before dawn. Then my dog feasted on his face!
default_no.gif
The next day, Kisses acted like she felt great! She ran around and played with the other mares, picking at them and nipping at their back legs. She never acted like she knew what happened.

That was the morning of April 1st, April Fool's Day, and I thought that was the most horribly, disgusting joke that could be played on someone. I was so upset and felt so much guilt. I did not understand why God would let that happen in that way when He knew how vigilant I had been and He knew how I would blame myself. But, bad things do happen and even though, God allows them to happen, he does not cause them to happen. God did not create horses this size, but He allowed us humans to breed them down to this size and we have to accept the responsibility for the bad consequences that go along with it. Miniatures do have a lot more complications, but I do get so much joy from them. God is merciful and He gives me much, much more joy than the pain. I now have 4 beautiful, healthy colts on the ground and I am enjoying playing with them and watching them play together so much. So, the pain has lessened and I have realized I can go on. I just get too much happiness from them to give them up. Tell Gracie not to give up! Maybe you guys could consider buying a mare with a foal already by her side for now? I will be praying for Gracie and you.
default_smile.png

OMG, I am so heartbroken over your loss. That would just sicken me. I am so sorry and please do not blame yourself. As long as we do our best, we did the best we could. But the visions in our head like to haunt us. I am glad that you have new little foals to fill those ugly visions with happy ones. Thank you for sharing your story. And thank you for your prayers!

I am so, so sorry for your and Gracie's loss. My first foaling of this season ended in a terrible tragedy as well. I had a total melt down and about decided to totally get out of the minis that I love so much because as is stated so much on here, "breeding minis is not for the faint of heart". Well, I get very faint of heart when something happens to one of my animals, especially the precious little babies, it is very hard for me to take. Let Gracie know that I was questioning God myself. I was not blaming Him (I totally blamed my self and my mare). I did not even question why the foal had to die, but why it had to happen in such a cruel way.

Here is what happened to me:

I knew my mares were getting close to foaling, especially one mare, so I had been watching them all very closely, checking the bags every morning before I turned them out and every evening when I put them in their stalls for the night and even throughout the day if I felt like I saw any other signs. Well, I had just checked all my mares out in the fields and all were fine, acting completely normal. My mother-in-law had suprised us by making dinner for us, and my first thought was that I wanted to stay with my horses. I had not left my house for more than 15 minutes at a time just to take my kids to school and pick them up in the afternoons for about 3 weeks and everyone was getting really grumpy with me and tired of hearing the, "it's foaling season, I can't leave". I did not want to be rude and really and truely believed no mares were ready to foal before I could get back. So, we went and ate dinner and when I got home, I immediately went out to get my mares in for the night. It was later than usual and already dark outside. As soon as I went out, one of my mares, "Kisses", was waiting for me at the gate. I went ahead and let her in to her stall and fed her while I got all the other mares' feed ready. I got all the mares settled in and started my regular evening check of bags, vulva, and belly shapes and to oberve them for a while in their stalls. When I went into the stall with Kisses, I checked her bag and could tell a noticeable difference in it. I looked under her tail and all looked normal (not relaxed) and was dry. I did notice that the foal had dropped into position and thought, Hey, I may be staying in the barn tonight. Well, I took a sample of her milk and tested it. Her milk was yellowish, clear said thin and tested no where near ready to foal. I was suprised so I observed her for awhile and she was acting completely normal. So, I decided to go in for the night but thought she would foal within the next 2 or 3 nights. When I went out to feed and check on the mares the next morning, I went into the stall with Kisses. I immediately checked her bag and could tell that her milk had come in ALOT more. I looked at her and then it suddenly hit me - THIS MARE IS NO LONGER IN FOAL! I ran out to the fields praying not to find a dead foal. I finally found the sack and placenta by one of the hay sheds, but no foal. I ran around the fields looking until I spotted my female beagle dragging something under the fence on the far side of the field close to our driveway. I ran over to my dog and she had a dead foal.
default_no.gif
I jumped the fence and my dog ran. The foal was a gorgeous black appaloosa colt with a large blanket with big black spots and he had a beautiful star on his forehead. BUT MY DOG HAD CHEWED THE FACE OFF! I cannot tell you how horrible those first moments were, but they just got worse. The little colt had to have been born the evening before. Kisses obviously foaled him without a problem and then left him and came on down to eat dinner. She never called for him or even acted any different other than she was the first one down by several minutes to eat. She was still very large because her stomach had not contracted down yet and she definitely did not act in any pain that hour and a half I was out in the barn with her. I HAD NO IDEA! I DID NOT SUSPECT A THING. I EVEN MILKED HER AND STILL COULD NOT TELL THAT SHE HAD ALREADY FOALED!!! (that is the part that is so hard to accept!) The worst part was that when I found the colt the next morning, he was not even stiff yet. He was not even very cold. He had to have made it through most of the night, all alone, just out in the field on a very cold night, until he got weaker and weaker and finally died just before dawn. Then my dog feasted on his face!
default_no.gif
The next day, Kisses acted like she felt great! She ran around and played with the other mares, picking at them and nipping at their back legs. She never acted like she knew what happened.

That was the morning of April 1st, April Fool's Day, and I thought that was the most horribly, disgusting joke that could be played on someone. I was so upset and felt so much guilt. I did not understand why God would let that happen in that way when He knew how vigilant I had been and He knew how I would blame myself. But, bad things do happen and even though, God allows them to happen, he does not cause them to happen. God did not create horses this size, but He allowed us humans to breed them down to this size and we have to accept the responsibility for the bad consequences that go along with it. Miniatures do have a lot more complications, but I do get so much joy from them. God is merciful and He gives me much, much more joy than the pain. I now have 4 beautiful, healthy colts on the ground and I am enjoying playing with them and watching them play together so much. So, the pain has lessened and I have realized I can go on. I just get too much happiness from them to give them up. Tell Gracie not to give up! Maybe you guys could consider buying a mare with a foal already by her side for now? I will be praying for Gracie and you.
default_smile.png

Thank you everyone again for your thoughts, support and prayers. Gracie and I are both doing better. Gracie did have a good cry again tonight, its so hard as a mom to watch her pain. She is now angry at fate and is more determined than ever to succeed in raising her own foals. This past month has been very difficult with losing the mare & foal from dystocia, this filly who did not get out of the sac, one of her chickens that got in to the back yard and the dogs got it, and then she was stepped on by her big horse and has been on crutches for 10 days and may find out tomorrow at doctor re-check and repeat X-rays thats she has a fracture and if she does she more than likely will miss her State Fair 4-H Qualifying Horse Show. For an adult this would be hard enough, but for an 11 yr old girl.......
no.gif

There is good news though... Someone has come forward from this board (in California) and has offered to give Gracie their foal that is due any day. We are holding off telling Gracie just in case something was to go wrong. When we were contacted about it I burst in to tears and when I told my husband he did too. What a blessing to us and hopefully to Gracie! I would love to be able to go out and buy a mare with a foal on the ground already(like someone suggested), but times are tough right now with the economy. My husband is a independent sales rep and is commission only and I sell horse barns (but have not sold any in awhile- commission as well) and stay home and homeschool Gracie and take care of the ranch. So we just can't go out and buy a mare & foal. We will get through this and the joy will be that much sweeter when Gracie's dreams come true.

**The attachment is Gracie and her mini stallion

IMG_4505.JPG

God bless that person with all the wonderful things that she/he deserves for helping to make Gracie's dream come true. There are still lots of amazing people in this world. Makes a person have hope.

Latest posts

Back