Tough start to foaling season at Crayonbox

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kim, I already sent my condolences post #25, I don't wish to be disrespectful as your wound and pain is so fresh, but I too lost a mare & foal in Feb. 2008 her cervix also would not dialate. The Vet worked on her for over four hours and this was after I had already gone in like you did and all we could get was the front legs. The most horrable experience of my life. I have been eaten up by quilt for all this time, and your post has haunted me all day. My vet couldn't explain this situation, she is a big horse vet and had never seen this before. Pre breeding exam said that the pelvis was big enough, but no one could explain to me why her cervix would not dialate even after she had been given every drug imaginable. The reason I am posting now is, did your vet explain the why? I'm so sorry for your lose, but I feel like I don't want this to happen again to any one, if we only could find out why maybe it could be prevented for future mares. Maybe Dr. Taylor will respond if you don't have the answer either. Heartbreaking!

My Gosh I am SOOOooooo very sorry!!!
default_sad.png

Oh no, I am sooooooo terribly sorry to learn of your loss. Frosty Chip was a pretty little mare! (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry Kim. May she run an be free. Time for her to fly. I am so sorry(

I'm sorry if this story is a bit jumbled, I know I'm still reeling from the events of the morning, but need to write it out for my own sanity. Not a great start to foaling season.

Overnight we had about 3-4" of snow to add to the chaos of this morning. Frosty Chip went into premature labor around 10am, she looked fine before I left for work. She was progressing normally to foal in about 2 weeks or so, but no other signs that foaling was near. Thankfully my Dad found her rolling and getting up and down right before her water broke, he was able to get her to the barn. I was getting 4 yr old in the car to go to preschool when he called me, so we made a mad dash to my house instead. Longest 6 minute drive ever! I knew this was too early, and most likely the foal had died which is why she was in labor. When I went in both front legs and head were down. I was able to get the two front legs up and out but the head kept twisting upside down and I couldn't get it. Called the vet and waited for the husband/wife team to arrive. I waited extra long because of the snow, it felt like it took forever for them to get here (got stuck in traffic on the highway). When they arrived, they tried for an hour to deliver the foal, but were not able to do it either. Dr. Boyd said the foal had died probably 8 hours before, which is why it was early (she was approx 315 days gestation). Dr. Joan said Frosty Chip wasn't dialated as far as she would be for a normal delivery, and she was a smaller mare 31.5" so there just wasn't room to get the foal delivered. I made the decision to have her put down, I knew she wouldn't do well with C-Section surgery and couldn't afford it. I had made this decision long ago for any of my mares that might be in this situation, so I was at peace with this choice before the vets arrived, if she coudln't be helped. She passed quietly, I think she was ready to end the suffering too. She went knowing I loved her, and did all I could to help her. The foal had striped appy hooves and black & roan legs, I bet it was spotted, but I will never know.

I was so looking forward to this foal, it would have been line-bred on Shadow Oak's Cock Robin one of my favorite appaloosas, and it was Carnival's first foal. Go with wings little one. I will miss Frosty Chip's soft brown eyes, her quirks and personality. She was a horse that loved her person, if you won her over. I'm so glad I had a chance to finally be that person. I will miss her demands (sometimes I felt more like her personal slave than her owner), fly mask, heated water buckets, large stall all to herself, food on time-better not be late, treats on demand, pulling me out to the pasture every morning, and back to the barn every night. She loved nothing more than to be told she was beautiful! She tolerated so much when she knew I was helping her, and even when I wasn't (spray painting a pumpkin on her belly!). Go in peace, my sweet Frosty Chip, run and buck with your lost little one in heaven, and may the angels sprinkle you with your favorite peppermint treats! I will miss you and your quirks, the barn/paddock just won't be the same without you.

NickerTreat.10-10.jpg

Frosty_Chip_6-08_sm-416x306.jpg

Frosty_Chip_hd_6-26-08-411x302.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png
It hurt just to read that story...I can't imagine living it
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
It is every breeders worse fear and something I worry about every foaling season. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Kim,

I am so terribly sorry. You of all people I know, always go the extra mile for your horses and your little pg mares.

You did the right thing.

I hope things get better for you from here on out.

Susan O.

This is the first time I have ever cried reading a post! I am so sorry that you lost your Frosty Chip and her baby. My heart goes out to you.
cheekkiss.gif

Thank-you so much to all for your kind words and support, it really means a lot to me. This is one of those things as a breeder you hear about and pray never happens to you. It's not only the emotional loss, but the financial loss that is hitting me hard. This will end my breeding for a few years, I just hope to get a lovely filly from one of my remaining two mares in foal to raise to start again in the future.

Oh my goodness Kim - I am SOOOOO sorry. BIG HUGS! ((( ))) I have been in that exact position and I know first hand how much that hurts. I wish there was some magical words I could say to relieve some of your pain, but there just are none. You did all you could to help her. RIP Frosty Chip and little one.

I'm so sorry to hear about Frosty Chip and her foal. It just doesn't seem fair when these tragedies happen. Big cyber hugs to you.

Oh no, Kim! I am so very sorry that you lost a mare and her foal,.
default_no.gif

I love those pictures of Frosty Chip!

{{{{{{{{{{{{Big hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

RIP Frosty Chip

I am sooo sorry for your loss. I too had a bad start to faoling season, and on the same day as you too. My mare Lena went into premature labor as well Monday. We didnt catch it until I did night check, and when I brought her in to check her I realized she had already foaled. We got snow that day too, so I went out there with a flashlight, and found the little foal in the snow. I was heart broken.

My mare is doing okay, thank god. I knew it could have been worse. I could not imangine having to go through this..Run free Frosty Chip..and Kim, I hope your heart heals quickly. Best of luck to you on the rest of your foaling season....that goes to both of us.

Latest posts

Back