Tough start to foaling season at Crayonbox

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this story is a bit jumbled, I know I'm still reeling from the events of the morning, but need to write it out for my own sanity. Not a great start to foaling season.

Overnight we had about 3-4" of snow to add to the chaos of this morning. Frosty Chip went into premature labor around 10am, she looked fine before I left for work. She was progressing normally to foal in about 2 weeks or so, but no other signs that foaling was near. Thankfully my Dad found her rolling and getting up and down right before her water broke, he was able to get her to the barn. I was getting 4 yr old in the car to go to preschool when he called me, so we made a mad dash to my house instead. Longest 6 minute drive ever! I knew this was too early, and most likely the foal had died which is why she was in labor. When I went in both front legs and head were down. I was able to get the two front legs up and out but the head kept twisting upside down and I couldn't get it. Called the vet and waited for the husband/wife team to arrive. I waited extra long because of the snow, it felt like it took forever for them to get here (got stuck in traffic on the highway). When they arrived, they tried for an hour to deliver the foal, but were not able to do it either. Dr. Boyd said the foal had died probably 8 hours before, which is why it was early (she was approx 315 days gestation). Dr. Joan said Frosty Chip wasn't dialated as far as she would be for a normal delivery, and she was a smaller mare 31.5" so there just wasn't room to get the foal delivered. I made the decision to have her put down, I knew she wouldn't do well with C-Section surgery and couldn't afford it. I had made this decision long ago for any of my mares that might be in this situation, so I was at peace with this choice before the vets arrived, if she coudln't be helped. She passed quietly, I think she was ready to end the suffering too. She went knowing I loved her, and did all I could to help her. The foal had striped appy hooves and black & roan legs, I bet it was spotted, but I will never know.

I was so looking forward to this foal, it would have been line-bred on Shadow Oak's Cock Robin one of my favorite appaloosas, and it was Carnival's first foal. Go with wings little one. I will miss Frosty Chip's soft brown eyes, her quirks and personality. She was a horse that loved her person, if you won her over. I'm so glad I had a chance to finally be that person. I will miss her demands (sometimes I felt more like her personal slave than her owner), fly mask, heated water buckets, large stall all to herself, food on time-better not be late, treats on demand, pulling me out to the pasture every morning, and back to the barn every night. She loved nothing more than to be told she was beautiful! She tolerated so much when she knew I was helping her, and even when I wasn't (spray painting a pumpkin on her belly!). Go in peace, my sweet Frosty Chip, run and buck with your lost little one in heaven, and may the angels sprinkle you with your favorite peppermint treats! I will miss you and your quirks, the barn/paddock just won't be the same without you.

NickerTreat.10-10.jpg

Frosty_Chip_6-08_sm-416x306.jpg

Frosty_Chip_hd_6-26-08-411x302.jpg

Kim I am SO SORRY about your loss- how awful. You know I also love that same line. What a heartbreak and so sorry to see that little Frosty is gone. Run free girl. What a sad sad day.

Kim, This hurt to read....I'm so very sad for you.
default_no.gif
We have a frosted roan appy who sounds very similar to your Frosty Chip. I'm glad you know in your heart that she knew how much she was loved. And they DO know.

I am sorry about the loss of your mare and foal! I do know that - we as breeders have to make decisions like this at times, or certainly should be prepared to - if ever presented with this situation.

Take care and know that Frosty Chip is in a good place.

My heart is breaking for you.
default_no.gif

{{{{ hugs }}}}}

I am so, so sorry about the loss of your foal and mare. Every breeders worst nightmare. Hugs to you.. I feel your pain.

Im sooo sorry for your loss its hard enough to lose a foal but to lose the mare too is horrible! I have always admired Frosty Chip when you would post about her and am very sad to hear that she is gone.

My sympathies and thoughts are with you - I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Anna

I am so sorry Kim. That truely is every breeders worst possible fear. (((((HUGS)))))

Kim, I know all too well the pain you are going through, and I am so sorry. Frosty sounds like she was quite the character, and I have no doubt she knew how much she was loved and appreciated. She was so fortunate to come into your life.

Take care,

susanne

I just hate it when foaling season starts out this way.

Makes you just want to climb under a rock.

I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully the rest of the foaling season will be sensational for you.

Latest posts

Back