Totally gone!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
I know it's a done deal -- I love these guys hopelessly (thinking about third!) even though I am begginning to suspect Bo has more problems with his hooves than his previous owner has let on. This just judging from what I saw before he came here and what has happened since. Do you think that stifle lock and being prone to laminitis can be connected? He is still not wanting to put all his wieght on the right hind which is the one that locked, and in trimming him I noticed some odd things with his hooves (lots of dirt up in the white line and now the sole pushing down where it shouldn't, only up near the toe - maybe I am over reacting??) and the dirt in the white line I noticed before he came here. He is improving slowly and I have hopes that I can help correct this thru research,trimming and excersise, plus consultation with vet and farrier. I don't think I could give him up now if I tried - even if he is only my walking companion!

No, I don't think that stifle lock and being prone to laminitis are in any way related--and I have to say that if your fellow is still reluctant to put weight on that one hind foot then there is something more going on with that foot/leg than ordinary locking stifle. Locking stifle does not cause a horse to be unable to put weight on the foot--obviously he cannot stand properly on the foot when the stifle is locked, but when it is unlocked he won't be sore or reluctant to put weight on the foot. I'm not sure even arthritis in the stifle joint would make him keep weight off that foot--I think arthritis would cause stiffness/pain during movement.

I agree with Minimor and I think this needs further investigation from a vet. As I said on your other thread, I have a "pet" mini that has a locking stifle and as soon as it unlocks she has a totally normal gait and you would never know.

Can you take a photo of Bo's foot so we can get a better idea of what you mean?

Finally had a day to take some pics - not too good but it's hard to hold a hoof and take the picture
default_wacko.png

Talked to another vet (mine was on holiday) she suggested putting a styrofoam pad on the bottom of his hoof ie: treat as if he is slightly laminitic. I got that on today and he does seem to be stepping out on the foot a bit better. I have to go check how he is doing on it later. WIll update. Have done a whole lot of research - came across an interesting article by a vet in the US and in it she talks about Low Grade Laminitis and mentions that horses with this tendency sometimes have stifle problems due to the hind quarter muscles being in poor tone and the whole area being just out of adjustment. Now I am thinking there are many pieces to the puzzle here and what came first - kind of chicken and egg -- AND is he truely laminitic?? If the pad makes him more comfortable it could be a possiblity -- any way here's the photos, don't know if they will show anything.

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

Although you can get separation at the toe of a laminitic foot this foot does not appear to be laminitic to me, only very slightly if at all. That pink you see on the outside of his hoof wall is bruising.

Is that a crack or a shadow on the outside? What I think you have is an abcess that has either grown down from the coronet band and is almost out causing that bit of separation and is therefore painful OR he got a bit of gravel/dirt in his white line that caused a bruise or allowed bacteria to enter and cause infection/inflammation of the laminae. Bruises at this time of year when the ground is frozen hard and lumpy are not unusual. If it is gravel it will eventually drain at his heels but will be painful until it does and should be seen by a vet and farrier. The bad thing is that if this was left for a long time the infection could have entered the coffin bone by now....
default_sad.png
and it has been left at least long enough to have worn down the outside of the foot - you can see he has been trying to keep his weight off that side. I would get your farrier to have a look at this foot and get it opened up/pared out either way and then treat it with an iodine bandage, keep him stalled and keep it as clean as possible till it heals - your farrier should be able to help you with that. I would have some strong iodine on hand, gauze, vet wrap and duct tape. You should probably look at getting the horse a tetanus shot/booster and antibiotics.

Laminitis seldom involves only the hind feet, usually the front feet only or all 4 if it is severe.

If he does have a locking stifle I would like to see the toes on his back feet squared off to make him more comfortable. Is your farrier aware he has a locking stifle?

I might be questioning the ability of the vet and or farrier involved with this horse....

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trimming him yourself? Did the new vet actually look at his hoof?

It looks like he had an abcess and looks to have a crack going up the hoof. You can see some bruising near the bottom. Has his feet been trimmed regularly. Has he been on hard surfaces a lot? (such as concrete)

If the absess is still there it may need to be opened so it can drain. I think he should seen by a special farrier who evaluate the problem and help him get better.

Just my opinion and I am by no means an expert.

Just went and did a night check - he's had his homemade "boot" on for 8 hrs now and he is actually getting some relief from it. He is walking without limping and is standing on it for brief periods of time. So glad to be able to provide something posative for him. I do his trims myself in between the farriers visits - he can only come out when all the horses on Saturna need to be done. He has not had any problem with his stifle since we got it unlocked and started keeping it moving and massaged. Whatever is wrong with his foot - I am wondering if there is an abcess myself - will try soaking, I have had success with that with other horses. I will also e-mail my farrier to see if he will come out early - My friend over on the other Farm has 5 horses now - maybe she will need some work and it won't cost me an arm and a "Hoof"
default_wink.png
Oh and what looks like a crack I think is a piece of hay sticking up - he doesn't have a crack on the front - he does have a spot near the toe where a rock got stuck - the sole had grown over it and I finally got it out today - poor guy.

The rock may have been the problem. I think soaking would be a good idea. If that was the problem you should see contiued improvment very quickly.

I don't think you should wait on having the vet or farrier in. This could easily be a life or death situation for this horse - NO FOOT NO HORSE. He is obviously in pain and with the bruising evident and you having found a stone in his foot (the sole couldn't have grown over it by the way) there is no doubt abcess or infection in there. The stifle issue was likely a result of long term pain causing him to walk off kilter because, although they can grow out of it, stifles don't heal themselves overnight. They can be improved with correct exercise but the issue will still be there. There are plenty of things you can do-it-yourself to save money but in this case if you want to keep this horse you are going to have to bite the bullet and call in professional help.

If you want to continue to trim your horse's feet yourself I would recommend that you get some instruction on how to do so correctly and educate yourself on the structure/function of a hoof.

Don't worry - I have had instruction over several years on trimming and know the structure of the foot (just have never seen an actual laminitis case so am unfamiliar- I also did a session with the boys past farrier to know how Minis differ from big horses - I wrote inccorrectly - the sole had not actually "grown over" but the way the stone was situated it was actually hidden - took a while to present itself as I was cleaning out the dirt in the crack - During all this he has been (and I don't blame him) very reluctant to have the foot picked up and only in the last few days has he been comfortable enough to let me have a really good, long look. It is also not a case of do-it -yourself to save money - getting here involves ferry travel and a long day for the vet or farrier. Some reluctance on thier part - believe me - when I finally convinced the vet to come I didn't even ask him how much, just paid the bill when it came.

And transporting the horse to them can be a long stessful trip for the horse, so have to wiegh that also.

Back