Too small to drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busyb

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here and have mainly been a lurker. I have had large horses all my life, and about ten years ago I also had a 34"inch mini who was trained to drive, but only driven sporadically (as in three times after training perhaps) due to my involvement with the dressage world.

I aquired a 31 - 32" mini (I need to remeasure her - she is unregistered and I am just going off the word of the seller and my eyeballing) last year as a riding pony for my very small (28lbs) daughter to leadline with. The Dolly Llama is a wonderful little stout silver bay who spent six years as the riding pony to four children. She is well trained for that and has the best temperment of any I have met and I looked at quite a few small horses advertised as childrens mounts. Bold and fearless, I have looked into training her to drive and possibly doing CDE's in the VSE class. I am getting out of big horses (Anyone want a friesian?) but would like to go back to driving. I was living in my happy world until I read on a driving site that anything under 34" was way to small to be driven as a single in a CDE. I don't want to overtax her as I am not a thin women. I have seen people smaller and larger driving mini's than me, but according to the site I was at these are people who are not knowledgable and have no business driving horses that small in CDE's (I am guessing the ribbons they won are a moot point). I guess I want to know is this true? I am not in the position to get another larger mini as mine would still primarily be for my daughter and she is very slight and small.

Thanks for any advice given.

We mostly pleasure drive. But, my neighbors horses are all under 30" and she drives them. She isn't compeating with them but they are not over taxed to drive them.

IMO, a 32" mini isn't really all that different in height from a 34" mini, when it comes to driving anyway. I've seen MANY small minis driven (and by "not-small drivers) and they seemed to do fine. You would need to very carefully condition your horse for pulling, but you would have to do that even with a slightly taller or even much taller horse. I say go for it!
default_yes.gif

32 inches is a GREAT height for driving! My husband has trained horses as small as 29 inches to cart and they did fine too........but the two he did were intended for petite lady drivers.

32 inches tends to be a nice "middle" size for driving in AMHA, especially a "stout" built mini. I say go for it!

MA

well I will be different I am not a small woman either and no way no how would I drive a 32 in mini personally I just dont think it presents a nice overall picture now that is just me . I know many do and the horses manage fine alot depends on the cart, the footing how fit your horse ect.

but not something I personally feel comfortable with

I'm curious what site you were on as they seem sadly misinformed!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'll bet you bunches they are from the East Coast and obviously not any great fan of the miniatures.
default_rolleyes.gif
Many A minis compete here in the NW and do quite well, often winning overall awards in competition with the big horses. The smaller the horse the more difficulty they will have, that's only logical, but I bet your stout 31-32" mare won't have any more problem than my lightly-built 33.5" gelding. It's all about their attitude (whether they want to do it) and how well you condition and outfit them. The carriage must be balanced, the harness comfortable, and the horse trained and ready for his job. If all those criteria are met and the horse enjoys her job she can probably do quite well at least in Training Level.

Here are two BETTER websites for you to look at.

www.minihorsecde.com

www.cde4vse.com

Edited to add: www.happs-inc.com/ There is specific data on this site about how well miniature horses of all sized have been doing in full-length marathons, including the weight of driver, cart, and horse, and how their pulse and respiration were at the finish.

Enjoy!

Leia

P.S.- Can you PM me the site link? I'm really curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends much more on the build and bone of the horse than on height, in my mind. I know of lots of successful driving horses in the 32" range. In the show arena it may be harder to compete with the 34" horses, but again depends so on how they are built. Size of the driver should enter into the equation too.

Jan

If they were big horse people and from the east this is not an uncommon statement...Believe me I know I live in VA and compete in the pony divisons with my 33 incher when VSE is not offered...I actually overheard a conversation of a TOP pony driver that if one's bottom half is larger than ones horses then one should should not drive it...funny that he is not a tiny person and he specializes in Darmoors and Welshs. With the proper conditioning I think she will be just fine. As you said she is not a delicate mini, so I would go for it!
default_aktion033.gif

Courtney

Hi Serenity, it's me, old Sagenhaft from the UDBB. Glad you found your way here!

Don't worry about the naysayers! The DL is going to be JUST FINE! :D And if you REALLY get into it, you can get her a larger companion when your fresian sells, right? In the meantime, I bet lil' Dolly will be darn glad to have a job.
default_488.gif

Come drive with us! :D

My former driving mare was 30", a little bit stocky. She drove like a little hot rod sports car. She could go all day and she was GOOOOOD! Of course that was with decent footing... Ps I am not a small woman.

I am training my 32' miniature mare to drive . And i can't wait to train her for harness racing
default_biggrin.png

Leslie

Absolutely, that is a great driving size!! I had a stallion that was 31" that drove just fine and also know MANY people with horses around 29 or 30 that drive the heck out of them and they do just terrific! Have FUN!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

My stallion pictured in my avatar is 31.25. He is an awesome driver. He's 12 and had no problem competing at a fun show over the weekend. Was his first public driving debut, I actually had to hold him back in the pleasure class, he wanted to go, go , go...

Out and about he can go a mile or two without even breaking a sweat.

The only recommendation I can make is to get a cart with big wheels, the bicycle style ones, they are easier to pull.

Carolyn

I have no problems with my 30 1/2" mini driving. He does just fine.

Joyce L

andreatattoo.jpg

This is me driving a 32" stallion at Nationals. I'm not "tiny" I'm just a little heavier than average, and I don't think the overal proportions look off???

Andrea

Andrea,

I think you offer a perfect example of how great a 32 inch driving horse can be. You look fabulous!

MA

No is the short answer- a 32" horse is not too small to drive.

Now, you may find as you get competitive that the mare is not up to the job, and that may have nothing at all to do with her size, it may just be that she doesn't have what it takes.

There are 100 other things to consider before you think about her size.

And also there is the small fact that you have not even measured her yet!!
default_rolleyes.gif

So go on and have fun, go as far as she will take you, enjoy the ride and, if she cannot go as far as you want, sort it out when and if it happens!!

Good Luck and we want pictures.
default_yes.gif

We definitely don't think this is too small and have even built for a 28" little guy. Of course, it is nice when every thing behind the animal is on the lighter side as well...........

Bb

Latest posts

Back