Todays the day "Added Pictures"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
default_aktion033.gif
Keith and Susanne are coming over. We are going to hitch Jimmy Dolittle (in avatar) and head out for a drive. They will be here to support me on my first ever journey on the road with him. If all goes well Susanne is anxiously looking for her turn in the cart. She has wanted to drive him for quite some time and I hope she gets her opportunity today.

Jimmy is not a spooky horse at all. He is a naturally prancy high stepping boy who loves to arch that neck. He is not flighty and he is always concerned about the person setting in the cart. He has always watched over me when driving in the arena.

Yes if all goes well we will get pictures and maybe even a video.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day today.

Marie

Last edited by a moderator:
Yippee! And the good news is Big Dogs is coming too with his cameras. So we are going to get a video of Jimmy driving. We have a plan. We should all get a turn just having fun with Jimmy today. He is in great shape from running and playing with Koda this year. He might not be majorly cleaned up but I'm more interested this time in how he does out in the world and so people can see my boy driving and moving.

Thank you Susanne, Keith and Daryl. Couldn't do without you.

Marie

OMG! We just had the best time. Jimmy was great, excellent, wonderful. Even after not being driven for the longest time he fell right back into it. He is so soft on the bit and so responsive. Daryl is going to send me the pics he took plus later tonight or tomorrow he will upload the video to utube so all can see. What a nice day to drive also. It couldn't have been more perfect. Everyone took a turn driving him and he was good as gold. Now I will have to get one more new harness that will fit him perfectly. The one we have just doesn't do it. I will post the pics as soon as Daryl sends them to me. He's so great he's also going to make me a DVD that we can watch on tv that's going to be awesome.

This is me now
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Well here are the pictures I have received from Daryl "BigDogs&LittleHorses" This is my boy his full name is Jackpot Farm Jimmy Dolittle and needless to say I love this guy alot. He is now 18yo and this is my first time driving him in a few years. I assure you it won't be the last.

Everyone is now wanting to get him to the beach where he can open up and trot on.

Giving Jimmy a break while talking to Keith and Susanne not that he really needed it.

DrivingJimmy2.jpg

Just driving down the street he looks like he really enjoyed getting out and going.

DrivingJimmy.jpg

Susanne getting her turn to drive. She will comment later on the fun we all had I'm sure.

DrivingJimmy3.jpg

One last photo of me driving a little closer up. Did I say how wonderful he is to drive?

DrivingJimmy1.jpg

Oh also this is Duckie's Sire. Can you see some resemblance there?

We all had a fantastic time!

Jimmy hasn't been driven in ages, yet he was light on the bit, carried himself beautifully and responded instantly to every command. He absolutely loves his job driving. He may be 18, but he has a lot of go and a gorgeous, floating trot. I can't wait to see the video...

As much fun as we had driving, the real joy was in watching Jimmy take his mom for a drive. What a beautiful image!

I think 18 is just geting started.
default_biggrin.png
When you consider minis are said to live well past 30, he really isn't all that old. He has another lifetime to go.
default_wub.png

This mare here in my avitar is 17, and you cannot tell she isn't a young filly, especially when in harness. I just had her to a clinic last weekend, we were the only mini there...and everyone, including the clinician couldn't get over her energy. all the large horses were just dragging their butts at the end of a session, and Crackers was still going like a top. The clinician's husband said she was just like a clock...tic-toc...
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

That's wonderful, Marie!! Congratulations. It's so nice to see new pictures of your guys (and of course Keith and Susanne as well, who I haven't seen in ages!
default_laugh.png
) I can't wait to see the video. Are you open to suggestions on your harnessing? You did a great job but there's one or two small things we could adjust that might make Jimmy even more comfortable and awesome.

Leia

Yes, I certainly know that 18 is the prime of life for a horse -- I didn't mean to get anyone's hackles up.

My comment was made in consideration of all the show horses who are labeled "senior" at 3 and then retired after one or two seasons.

I intend for all of my horses to be healthy and active well into the 20s, and with luck, beyond that, so no, I was not implying that Jimmy is old.

That's wonderful, Marie!! Congratulations. It's so nice to see new pictures of your guys (and of course Keith and Susanne as well, who I haven't seen in ages!
default_laugh.png
) I can't wait to see the video. Are you open to suggestions on your harnessing? You did a great job but there's one or two small things we could adjust that might make Jimmy even more comfortable and awesome.

Leia
Sure Leia I'm open to suggestions, however after yesterday the decision was made that harness is too big for him and from now on he will be using the new Presidential Harness I purchased that is very very nice but still in the box. So if you can wait till you see him in that one hitched up it would be great. Then you can fire away. Oh and we will also braid his forelock to get it out of the way. No way will I ever cut his forelock or his mane. It would make him feel like Hercules. LOL

Shortpig said:
Sure Leia I'm open to suggestions, however after yesterday the decision was made that harness is too big for him and from now on he will be using the new Presidential Harness I purchased that is very very nice but still in the box. So if you can wait till you see him in that one hitched up it would be great. Then you can fire away.
default_laugh.png
My comments were all cart related- just that you should let out the traces until the shafts are at the point of his shoulder and raise the tug loops a notch if you can without tipping the seat back too far. That's all! The harness really didn't look too big unless the breeching is already on the highest setting.

Leia

default_laugh.png
My comments were all cart related- just that you should let out the traces until the shafts are at the point of his shoulder and raise the tug loops a notch if you can without tipping the seat back too far. That's all! The harness really didn't look too big unless the breeching is already on the highest setting.

Leia
Thanks Leia, I check it out you're right! I hadn't even looked at the cart I was looking at the horse.LOL. You know just admiring him. Next time we will attempt to get the cart hitched right to the horse. And yes the breeching is on the last hole. The headstall doesn't fit him it is also too big. Couldn't get it adjusted to where the big set right in his mouth. He is such a calm good boy that he didn't really care he just wanted to get going and do some sight seeing I think. He would have passed right on by the house coming home if I hadn't stopped Keith. I will say though that as soon as he heard Koda whinny he was excited to see him. Well and eat some grass while we broke every rule in showing to remove his harness.

Marie

Yes, I certainly know that 18 is the prime of life for a horse -- I didn't mean to get anyone's hackles up.

My comment was made in consideration of all the show horses who are labeled "senior" at 3 and then retired after one or two seasons.

I intend for all of my horses to be healthy and active well into the 20s, and with luck, beyond that, so no, I was not implying that Jimmy is old.
LOL! No hackles up here, I was just trying to get the same thing across as you did. I know welsh ponies that are still happily competing well up into their mid to late 20's with their youth drivers. It is such a shame when people think a horse in it's teens is "washed-up".
default_sad.png
I bet a lot of the high-end dressage horses, and even jumpers are "up there" in age. It takes a long time to properly finish a horse, and if you do it properly and well, you can reap the rewards for many many years to come.
default_wub.png

Sue_C. said:
LOL! No hackles up here, I was just trying to get the same thing across as you did. I know welsh ponies that are still happily competing well up into their mid to late 20's with their youth drivers. It is such a shame when people think a horse in it's teens is "washed-up".
default_sad.png
I bet a lot of the high-end dressage horses, and even jumpers are "up there" in age. It takes a long time to properly finish a horse, and if you do it properly and well, you can reap the rewards for many many years to come.
default_wub.png
People said that when Mom bought me Spyder as a 15 year old gelding...18 years ago. He not only showed to championships in new divisions for years but made it to 33 years old!
default_yes.gif
It makes me very sad that at 10 years old Kody is already pretty much "done for" as far as competition driving. I think he'll get out there again but it's always going to be hard for him as this injury is pretty permanent.
default_sad.png
He's so young!

Leia

People said that when Mom bought me Spyder as a 15 year old gelding...18 years ago. He not only showed to championships in new divisions for years but made it to 33 years old!
default_yes.gif
It makes me very sad that at 10 years old Kody is already pretty much "done for" as far as competition driving. I think he'll get out there again but it's always going to be hard for him as this injury is pretty permanent.
default_sad.png
He's so young!Leia
I have always thought that a well-trained horse in it's teens, is worth it's weight in gold. Those are the horses that people should be buying for thier kids to learn on and grow up with. You and Spyder had something that I envy, he got to grow old with you. My first pony, my parents sold when I left home to join the Military. Not knowing where I was going to end up myself, I couldn't think of taking him with me.
default_no.gif
It haunts me to this day, not knowing where he ended up.

As for Kodi, when you think of what he had to go through just to be sound as a young horse...it is amazing what you two have accomplished...he has already been more than he could be...which is more than what can be said for most horses that are twice his age that have not had his soundness issues.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back