To tie or not to tie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our horses ride sideways in sections in our stock trailer. We put two compatable horses in each section tied with their heads at oposite sides. we have three sections and haul up to 5 horses there. Two in first section then a gate, two in next and gate and one in last so we don't have to fight the door. Since we usually have a small pony, that is what is usually on last. They all have enough bracing that way without all pushing on one. We also have a space in front of the half divider to put two or three more when we get stupid and take more than 5 to a show--and that ain't often.
default_biggrin.png

This just made me think of something that happened to my sister. Now she was hauling 5 big horses in a trailer with no dividers but had them all tied. The trip we took was maybe 2 hours. When we got to the showgrounds, the horse that she had put in last was in the middle and the #2 horse was at the back. None of them were scratched and we never heard any sound during the trip but it must have been exciting back in the trailer!

I don't tie O So. I do keep his halter on but take the lead line off once he is in! I heard that tieing is not a good idea so I never did it!

I don't have a traditional trailer though! ( as most of you know) LOL His actual stall area is 3' x almost 4'! He is able to put his nose up to the windows and also look out the windshield if he wants! It's quiet the site to see! LOL All I have to say is you really have to love your horse if you travel with is poop odor!! LOL It's not bad as long as we a moving, but long red lights can be a bit overwhelming! LOL Nah, it's not that bad!!
default_biggrin.png

eca27dc6.jpg

I don't like pulling a trailer so this set up works great! Of course we don't go far with it though. The furthest I have gone is about 20 miles to the vet and back. Most the time it is only a 3 mile treck to the stables and back! I think if I were to go for further distances, I would have hubby make a trailer for him!
Hey, thats the first Splitty that I've seen used for livestock transport!! I am very familiar with using vans as livestock transport using my Dodge 15 passenger van for many years to haul my llamas around.

Loved seeing a Splitty though!!

Ideally I put one horse per stall, loose. In a stock trailer situation... if the two horses don't get along, I'll tie them in opposite corners (for example, when I haul my QH stallion with another horse, they'll be tied in opposite corners so they can't sniff noses). If they get along well, I'll put them in the same stall together loose (minis/ponies) or tied (horses). But given the option, I'd start by putting them in separate stalls loose.

Well, having known of three disasterous results of friends hauling big horses over the years and them not being tied (one of them ended up with a gross fatality that unfortunately for the horse, was not an immediate death), I have always tied my horses when hauling. Big or small.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of complications have you had? This is the first time I've had someone blame no-tie stock trailers for a fatality...

I know two different people who had horses in the back of a stock trailer and the door was not latched properly and came open, or the door maybe was faulty or something and when leaned on came open and out the horses went onto the road. Both of those cases survived after lots of vet bills and recooperation.

I had another aquaintance that had a full sized horse in a SINGLE horse trailer. She was a pretty hefty QH- gosh, who would think that she could turn around in there, but she did- and jumped out the opening in the back as the truck and trailer were on the freeway on-ramp. Out she went and into the cattle guard there and broke a leg or two and was stuck screaming in the cattle guard. It was NOT pleasant and she had to be put down and removed.

None of these were my horses or trailers thank heavens and I NEVER want to go through any of those problems! But knowing what happened, I am paranoid about checking doors, hitches, etc... all the time.

Latest posts

Back