Trailering Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEC

Reaction score
I have a 2H straight load Gore trailer with 2 escape doors. When trailering my mini, she can go under the chest bar and have access to the front space and both doors. With her curious nature and non stop grabbing and throwing things around, I fear for her opening the door with her lips and getting out. What do you suggest to keep her within the confines of the stall; I tie her and I have tried putting 2 bales of hay wedged in front of her, but she always pulls them down. Anyone have a suggestion? do they make a stall guard for minis in the trailer?

I had a full metal gate made and hinges welded to the center post of the trailer where the chest bar goes. I take the chest bar down and the gate has hooks that "drop" into the hinge, making the gate removable. Hasps or locks on the OUTSIDE of the trailer door will work to keep the doors safe. I call them fold-over hasps, IDK what the true name is, a metal tab goes over a metal loop and then you use a "snap" on the loop to secure it. Hope that makes sense. Those can get bolted on pretty easily. The gate I had made at a sheet metal shop.
Not to add to your worries, but make sure the back of trailer (doors above tailgate) is mini-proof, too!

When I was using a 2 horse trailer with chest bars I did not want a mini getting under the bar because the front area had only a metal floor, no wood and I didn't know how sturdy that was. I got 2 small, sturdy pallets and tied those under the chest bars. They were very secure and no horse got through them.

Latest posts

Back