Tired of the "Generalizing"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend who says that my minis are the friendliest horses she has ever met. You occasionally get a "bum steer" in any breed, but, if raised right, most minis are charming, well behaved, and think they're people. One of my most docile minis is a stallion. I know it's hard not to get offended, but have confidence, our breed is one of the best in the temperament dept.
Legend is the most agreeable, placid, biddable horse I have ever been around. He just happens to be a stallion. It's a temperament shared by his son, Luke (though of course spiced with some yearling sauce).

They speak for themselves.

Reactions: Tab
The one trailer, I saw the picture of, is definitely a one horse one, just for a mini. I am betting the guy had it special made. It doesn't look like a cargo one converted, but I could be wrong. Just wish I could find one like it.

You'll have the generalizations with any breed......thoroughbreds are nut jobs, Arabians are smart but have an attitude, drafts are dumb as a door nail, minis are nasty little beasts.......it is all in the eye of the beholder and their individual experiences with each ( or lack there of). I know my minis can work a slip knot and set themselves free like nothing I have ever seen, I know my gypsy mare knows how to play a person like a fiddle if you let her get away with it, but adores kids and will take care of them when they are on her. I have met quarter horses whom were saints and others that were whack jobs, it truely is a horse by horse scenario.

I may have that trailer your looking for... Sorry not for sale tho
default_sad.png

I have a 1 horse 2011 miniature horse Eclipse trailer which is NOT a converted cargo trailer altho looks like it. Its a true horse trailer and titled as one. It has barrded windows too. ( I own all A sized minis, BUT have hauled a 36.5" stallion in it. ) I love this lil thing and a car could pull it. I can pick it up and move it around by hand. Its 4ft wide, 4ft tall, and 6ft deep. The same size as a stall mat. Surprizing, it hauls deciant down the road. I do wish I got a lil bigger one with duel axel, but this is great for towing a horse to the vet, or the fun shows locally. I use it for camping trips and other things too as its small and handy.

ttttt.JPG

tttt.JPG

ttt.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
No, theirs looks different, but wow, I would love to have your's....wonder if they still make them. I would imagine, super expensive new.

Yes, about the generalizing...I have had it with every animal I have ever gotten. There are cat haters, saying all cats are mean and nasty, so not the truth. I have a super loving cat, sleeps by me all night long and she only 1 yr. old. Any breed of dog, I have ever had, has been generalized. So I honestly wasn't surprised that with mini's it is happening too. I've also been told, ..."Why would you get a mini? Why not just go to a petting zoo, as they can't do anything with them, as you can't ride them." Yep...came from a redneck, hillbilly, that works with my husband. hahaha

Could you tell me what the problem with retro fitting a utility trailer is? I'm curious, haven't heard anything about that. I'm assuming those type of trailers aren't made for live cargo that can shift around?

We have a brenderup, just love it (we have big horses too). We had to place a plywood panel in the front so the mini's didn't bump the front door handles, but that's been it for reno's. They certainly do look a bit tiny in it!

My hubby took a flat bed trailer and built me my trailer. We had to soften the lefsprings on it so it rode better. But I love it.

It is small and pulls great behind my truck. Diva likes it, she goes in it great, we even rode inside it to test it out. That way we knew how she would do.

Yes everyone generalizes , we just have to over come it.

I don't know why you feel you need to explain anything to anyone.

Two legs = turn around + walk away

Could you tell me what the problem with retro fitting a utility trailer is? I'm curious, haven't heard anything about that. I'm assuming those type of trailers aren't made for live cargo that can shift around?
I believe its mostly to do with live cargo, and not having the right kind of air circulation and usually livestock trailers should have dual axles for stability. And, not sure, but usually small cargo trailers don't have as strong of framework and walls/floor as a stock trailer would require. I don't know all the details, and I know people have converted them, but it takes a lot of know how to do it right so its safe.

Well, I can't be that way, to friends, who are only saying what they have heard...so walking away is't an option...also, how can we change their minds, if we just turn and walk away? I don't want to come across as a weird mini person. I want them to see how neat mini horses can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've ever ridden in a horse trailer, you will understand why a trailer with two axels is far safer and more comfortable for the horse.

I have a full size horse trailer despite only having small equine.

1. Resale value and ease of selling

2. Tire blowout not as scary if you've got three other tires

3. Less bouncing for the poor horse to endure, especially if you go long distances or over 30mph

4. Pulls nicely behind your truck with little sway

My issue, is only an issue, due to what I would have to pull a trailer with...a smaller car. So I think getting a mini van, unless I could find a small enough trailer, would be the way to go. Part of me worries, that if I would find a small enough trailer, it wouldn't be a safe one. I don't plan on going super long distances, but even accidents can happen, just out of the driveway.

I traded my car for a Tucson, wish now I had gone for a van so I could trailer my B size boy. Wasn't thinking clearly on this one. I'm very interested in hearing more about the trailers you all have or about refitting a cargo van. I don't think a basic trailer with 2 wheels would be all that safe even after being refitted.

My hubby took a flat bed trailer and built me my trailer. We had to soften the lefsprings on it so it rode better. But I love it.

It is small and pulls great behind my truck. Diva likes it, she goes in it great, we even rode inside it to test it out. That way we knew how she would do.

Yes everyone generalizes , we just have to over come it.
Can you post pics??

As far as trailers built for stock - they've changed - A LOT!!!

I purchased a new trailer last fall. I DID go a little cheaper - wanted to spend less so that I could spend extra $$ on other things (like leaving some of my ponies with trainers for another year), but it is the same general style as my old trailer - a steel stock type.

When I got it home, I realized how much lighter the steel really is. The dings, on the inside, are already rusting - both in and out (will be sanding and painting it this summer - getting supplies next weekend). The tongue is much shorter - not only causing me to bump and tear out the front the first time I tried backing it up, but also causing serious problems with turning sharply w/I a gas station (that IS a truckstop and right off the Interstate) also bending the front of the trailer. Honestly - I think my 1969 Hale trailer will outlast this new steel trailer that is so much "lighter". It is currently pretty - but I see it taking much more maintenance to stay that way - which just completely caught me by surprise as I wasn't expecting that. I DO like it and will do what is required to take care of it.

I have to do the same type of maintenance on both trailers for the wheels, brakes and axles.

AS to the enclosed utility trailers - I've seen where folks that have the knowledge have changed them to become mini & pony trailers. I had neither the knowledge, the tools or the time to attempt it, though I DID go look at several different manufacturer's before going with the trailer above.

I believe its mostly to do with live cargo, and not having the right kind of air circulation and usually livestock trailers should have dual axles for stability. And, not sure, but usually small cargo trailers don't have as strong of framework and walls/floor as a stock trailer would require. I don't know all the details, and I know people have converted them, but it takes a lot of know how to do it right so its safe.

Lisa - not only do you have to think about the trailer being safe for your animals, but even a small trailer with a shifting animal in it may be too large and heavy for your car.

I was surprised to find a car that I purchased used having a reese hitch on it. The car itself isn't heavy/large enough to stop even our trash trailer or a small utility (5x8) trailer with a lawnmower on it - so I have no idea what it was originally used for!

My concern always when I see a trailer of any type being hauled but a car is not if it can pull it but can it stop it!
I will never again pull any type of trailer with a car.

Case in point back in the "70's we didn't own a truck or trailer, needed to haul a pony, welsh, from one farm to another, only about 10 miles. We had a hitch on our car as we also had a small fishing boat, a 17 footer and a brake and light hook up.

We rented a small single horse trailer to transport and the renter loaned us an adapter for the brakes and lights. Well we went to stop at a light and the trailer pushed us right through it, lucky for us we weren't killed.

Then just a few years ago I went to state fair show just to watch and someone pulled in with an SUV pulling a double horse trailer, as they rounded a sharp turn car and trailer almost flipped over. Not enough wheel base.

I hear ya, but this seems typical with many things.... dogs, horses of all sizes, etc... Most issues are 'man made' but it seems that 'man' doesnt want to admit it or doesnt even realize what they are doing!

Exactly, Painponylvr! There is no way, I could do a trailer on my car, unless it was super small, and I told my husband, that even with that, I feel like that small, wouldn't be safe. I would much rather buy an older mini-van as just my go to van for taking Halo places. Would be much safer, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back