Tired of the "Generalizing"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Gosh, I am so tired of people hearing that I have a Miniature Horse, and just assuming because she is a "pony", that she has an attitude problem and must be mean. I am tired of having to explain, that they can't generalize like that...that Miniature Horses/Ponies, aren't all bad, that some are mainly that way, because a lot of people see them as small and cute, and they don't train them right, or train them at all. That it isn't because they are a mini/pony, that they are that way. I agree some can have issues, that take a lot of working on, but most likely, it is because they were allowed to do it at one time or another. That is like saying "all" dogs are bad. Sorry, needed to vent. LOL Drives me nuts.

LOL I'm getting there...if I had a trailer, I sure would. Need to buy and old "mini" van, and have that to taker her around in. I know, Halo, absolutely loves people. So much so, that I think she would make a great therapy horse.

I get that too, than they meet Diva and they say" oh, she is so sweet"

We just have to keep teaching people that our little ones do not have to have that pony attitude .

Even my brother in law who had a pony he couldn't do any thing with, said this till he met Diva.

After he said that he wouldn't of minded having a few like her.

I gets tiring to hear it at times, but we need to teach then better ,

And always do what is best for our little ones.

default_smile.png

Yep, trying to teach them is the "operative" word though...I have a few, that refuse to listen and think I have just one of the very few, mini's that is sweet...if I am telling them the truth anyway. Like I would lie about that.

I want to point out too. That this isn't coming from people at where I board her. They love and take excellent care of her, and from what I am hearing, is Halo is very endearing to anyone who comes by the ranch. It is just people I talk to...most are friends, that as far as I can tell, never really been around a mini at all.

When people ask me about getting a miniature I always tell them that miniatures are just like big horses--some are nice and some are not. A "kid horse" in big is hard to come by, and I think a "kid horse" in miniatures is too.

The most ignorant mistake I see new owners make is buying a cute colt and thinking it won't ever become a stallion.

I agree, many miniatures are allowed to become monsters because they are little and people do not respect them as horses.

Lots of "mini people" think that Shetland pony blood is equally "bad"...

It's good to get your minis out and be little ambassadors for their breed. Every breed of animal fights stereotypes... Draft horses are gentle giants, Arabians are crazy, and so on... Every animal has a wide variety of quality, personalities, and temperament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember hearing, through the years, how Shetland's have bad attitudes. I never took much stock in it, due to I've heard things like this, about different dog breeds and there are always the exceptions to whatever is being said. Wish I could get Halo out and about more. But have to wait until I either a van or trailer.

Agreed to all! It irritates me to no end. People don't trains mini, just man handle it to do whAt they want, then wonder why it's cranky. Gee, physically force me into doing everYthing, we can see how happy I am!

MyMiniGal - we used a van for a short time. It was my 17 yr old brothers mini van, and it was pretty a pretty ghetto system we had. We put down tarps, and Cloudy rode with his head between us looking out the windshield. Hay tied to the back of the drivers eat. I held him while husband drove. It was a three hour trip, because he had to go through very freaking drive thru he could find. He found it hysterical to ask what state we were in, and if they recognized the pony, "cause it was one wild night and we have no idea wheRe it came from or where we are." Got a lot of free French fries and apple slices for the pony! If we ever get another van, I fully plan on doing a YouTube series of people's reactions! Some obviously high school kids wouldn't even act like he was there, but we made a TON of people smile, and it broke up the trip well for little man.

LOL That sounds great! It would be so much cheaper for us, to find an old mini van, and have it, to carry Halo in, than buying a truck and trailer. Our cars are paid for, and they are in great condition, so we don't want to get rid of one of those, to take on a car payment. But if I could find a super small trailer, to just fit Halo, then we could pull her with one of the car's but they don't make them that small and light.

One more tip - we found plastic. "Bunk plastic" worked better than woven tarps. It's pretty much just super thick solid plastic. We had a "leak" with a tarp when he peed! Lol stop by a few local farms, I'm sure they have some to spare!

Ok, thank you, will keep that in mind. Will be awhile before any of this. I found some cheap vans, but of course, their transmissions are shot.

We have our Chevy Express extended cargo van and LOVE it. We could haul all three minis in it if we had to, yet there's never an issue with turning around or other trailer issues, and I really like being able to turn around and see that they're okay. This van has a steel safety barrier between cargo and passenger compartment, which is the safe way to go.

For years we used our Ford Windstar. Mingus loved having his own climate and stereo controls. We have a combo of tarp, then a sheet of plywood, then carpet padding and finally shavings. We've never had a leak -- the only bad thing was when he pooped in one of the cupholders.

Our best drive-through story was the time, coming back from a show, I decided we both needed curly fries from Arby's. When we came around to the window, the guy slid open his window and asked if I wanted "Horsey Sauce (horse radish sauce) with that." Just then, Mingus let out an ear-splitting whinny, and I thought the guy was going to fall on the floor.

Hahaha, I love hearing these "Mini" van stories. I keep seeing a picture, on the internet, of this man, unloading his mini from the cutest trailer, I have ever seen. And if we could find one like that, then all I would have to do is put a hitch on our cars. It is just sized for one mini, but looks like a true trailer. The guy is in TX. and the trailer is a little red thing. Would love to have one like that. But I can't find the make of it, and none come up like it, anywhere else, when I do a search.

Doesn't look like it. Is too tall. The guy was taller than the trailer. It was sized perfectly for one mini, and was hitched to a car. Wish I had a lot of money, I would then just have one special made.

I know there are mini trailers out there, but don't know if any are one-horse sized, they are usually at least two horse sized. And, people do convert cargo trailers to horse trailers for minis, but you really gotta know what you are doing to make sure the end result is horse safe.

Do a search for miniature horse trailers, I even got a hit on one of the horse sale sights and they had a fairly long listing of horse trailers for sale (some mini, some regular).

Comment to OP - When we got started with our first Shetlands, we always heard the same thing! I would just smile and shake my head... I learned to carry pictures in a little photo book from one of the stores where I got my 35 mm film developed and would hand it over. Pics are worth a 1000 words - don't you think?

2083.jpg
4bef.jpg

AJ is a 3 yr old stallion, Skye is 5, 'Dira is 32 months and Sierra is 22 months old in these shots:

2db6.jpg
7835.jpg

Stuffy96Jul6Girls.jpg
9716SepAJskyeTr.jpg

It was soooo nice to start with ponies that were "just my size!!" according to all three of the girls! They stayed interested from the ages these pictures show until they actually left home to start their own lives recently. Now, Skye brings the granddaughters by - they are 2 and 1 - and they are getting started. Patty and each of her three foals by AJ - Stuffy (96 mare - we still own), Shado (97 mare) and Spirit (98 stallion) - were all small enough to qualify for AMHR. Stuffy will be hard shipped this year... Hoping to also register her 3 foals that we own in AMHR.

When we arrived in NC, I started taking the ponies to the girls' schools. Before the laws tightened up on insurance for all of us - I often took up to 3 ponies (some with foals) and did pony rides for events (Spring Festival, Halloween Carnival) and Churches. We also did pony rides at a couple of local Day Care Centers (I only took 2 then). Patty once became a Donkey for the Easter/Passover service - ridden by a small adult during the enactment. Everyone was always AMAZED at the calm, friendly dispositions of our ponies. Yes, I did make some sales that way - but mostly just shared ours!

Susanne - My hubby just thought I'd lost my mind when I started laughing at your post "Arby's Drive Thru"...

I have a friend who says that my minis are the friendliest horses she has ever met. You occasionally get a "bum steer" in any breed, but, if raised right, most minis are charming, well behaved, and think they're people. One of my most docile minis is a stallion. I know it's hard not to get offended, but have confidence, our breed is one of the best in the temperament dept.

Latest posts

Back