tips on getting foal to suckle.. please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJS

Reaction score
two hours old, very strong.. trying to suckle every thing but nipple... tryed putting her on it.. drawn 10ml off and gave her.

Any thoughts please.

thank you

If you have someone to help you you can try holding the foal to the nipple and actually squirting milk on it's nose, even in it's mouth if you can manage it, two hours is not yet critical, it is well within the norm, so I would not panic yet, but you don't really want the foal suckling on inappropriate things like fur and bedding! Good Luck.

Thank you Jane, have already tried that... and will continue.. foal is very leggy, have tried to slip her front legs under to get her lower... but she then panics.

vet is booked for the afternoon if i dont have any luck .

thank you

kim

One thing I do if I cannot get the foal on any other way is to tie the mare (again helps if someone is with you!) and sit under her, put the foal on your lap, lying down, and hold her until she stops struggling and panicking. Once they are held in a prone position they tend to give up and lie there. Once she is passive, lift her head and just plug her on! Hold her in position, (mine tended to be so passive by this time that they would just allow it) and milk a drop into her mouth- and then again, and again, Eventually she will respond to the milk and swallow, which will mean she is coming out of "passive mode" so be warned. At this point she will, hopefully, actually suck out of instinct (and then explode as it is a HUGE thing to a foal, that first suck) You may have to do this a couple of times, but it has never failed for me- getting the Vet to tube her and putting a few cc's of colostrum down her is a very sound precaution, but I think she will latch on naturally in a bit- once she has accepted you placing her in position she will be more accepting of you placing her head when she is standing.

try a bit of molasses or corn syrup on the faucet and your finger. If she likes the taste on your finger she might try the faucet

OK..REAL HELP NEEDED... vet came out, said to tube.. he tried three different tubes, made the foals nose bleed, gave up and went on his way!

now what.. foal.. lethargic

tried a bottle.. not interested... tried syringe..

Oh no, did you look at homemade breast pumps for minis. Its under mini info...under foaling here on LB. Do you have somone there helping to hold mom?

Seems like it's going on seven hours now, so you have to get on this right away! Do you have a 60cc syringe that you can use as a breast pump? Cut off the pointy end and insert the plunger in that side so the smooth side is against the nipple. milk the mare, then using a small syringe, any size will do, slowly administer the milk into the side of the cheek, you may need to rub the throat area to get the foal to swollow. You may need to do this every half hour until foal gets strong enough now to even stand. Once foal is feeling better get some help and have them hold the foal under the mare you take milk and wipe it all over the udder from the other side, and try to guide the nipple towards the foal once it starts to suck all over.

tried four vets... lastest one want to put her on a drip..and scope her??why??

have already made up breast pumps.. very sucsessful .. drawing off milk.

thank you

Baby tubed, havn't prayed that much for a long time.

dam, is wonderful.. have been drawing off colostrum all day... mare justs lifts her leg to encourage foal in...

will keep everyone posted.... thankyou

Oh bless her heart, and yours. So happy to hear she has had a good meal. Hope she continues to improve. Sorry if my last post sounded harsh, sometimes I act like a mother hen!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support today, it has been appreciated.... if we can get through the night, i think she will have a fighting chance, she has had everything possible, poked, pricked and prodded .. o and plunged.

God willing she will pull through.

Sometimes we've been TOO aggressive in feeding. It's important for the foal to get the requred amount of colostrum within a certain period of time.....3 hours from birth is preferred.... 6 hours is hitting the max.

You are looking at milking and feeding the foal every two hours with whatever method works for you. (We use either the homemade breast pump or hand milking and feed with either a large syringe or a human baby nose syringe which is made of rubber.)

The reason why I said above that we've been TOO aggressive is that after 24 hours of hand feeding, it's wise to let the foal get a little hungry between feedings . You want them to keep searching! Smear colostrum around the mother's teats and always try to feed close to mom's side, as close the her bag as possible. Wait for maybe 15 minutes longer between feedings I predict that your foal will figure it out between one of your hand feedings soon.

just bumping this up in hopes of a favorable update. Still sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Good Morning everyone!

i am delighted to say... little Minx! is up and running!..during the night she was stomping and kicking her "Dam" to get up and let her feed!... just wonderful.

I could not be more thankful knowing that I can access so many helpful & knowlegable people..only wish vets...would take the time to learn a little more about miniature horses.

Thank you

Kim
default_thumbup.gif

Wonderful news! Glad you kept up your diligent work, it looks like it is all paying off!

So glad to hear your baby is doing well.I know what you mean about the vets.About 25 years ago when I got my first Minis the vets in my area knew almost nothing.When they found out that many Mini owners were willing to spend almost any amount of the welfare of their Minis they became much more knowledgable and willing to learn.I also bought some equipment myself tubing, dental floats, etc in case of an emergency. I also learned that farmers who raise sheep or calves can also help with difficult foalings-just have to caution them you can't pull foal with a tractor etc.Then there was no excuse for not having the right stuff when they came. A foal tube will work well on a grown Mini but not sure on a baby.I think someone on here mentioned that some kind of tubing for fish tanks will work on a Mini foal.Glad your baby is up and going well.

I'm so glad she is doing fine .. so scary. This forum is a life saver literally ....so glad you got answers quickly from everyone

Now we do need pictures of your little heart stopper

Oh my Kim. I just now saw this. Thank goodness your little imp is eating on her own now. I will never understand why some foals just can't seem to figure it out while we are frantic as time ticks by.

We also had one do the same this year. He had problems though related to oxygen deprivation during birth. he spent 4 days at clinic being tubed every 4 hours round the clock and is fine and strong now. I'm sure your little one is off and running now.

Thanks for the good news/update! Some times it takes a little longer for these small ones to "connect" . :eek:))

Latest posts

Back