Times are getting tough

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always someone that can and will be able to provide for it.

This is not realistic. It's just not true.

If that's your point of view, then are you saying every horse who has ended up abandoned or at the auction is there simply because the owner didn't care enough/work hard enough to find that someone and just dumped the beast? That's a terrible thing to think. And also just patently untrue.

[SIZE=12pt] There is always someone that can and will be able to provide for it.[/SIZE]
This is not realistic. It's just not true.

If that's your point of view, then are you saying every horse who has ended up abandoned or at the auction is there simply because the owner didn't care enough/work hard enough to find that someone and just dumped the beast? That's a terrible thing to think. And also just patently untrue.

First off that is realistic.....

Abandoned horses are just that. So therefore, I don't think I need to elaborate on that issue any further. Nor my view of it.

As for auctions they serve a purpose to place animals. So the two have no comparison. Please review what was originally written.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wanted to state that I stand behind all my horses and have clauses in all my contracts that state if the buyer for what ever reason can not or will not keep the horse any longer I will take that horse back. I dont do buy backs but will take the horse back and care for it until I find a new home looking for that special individual.

Kimberle,

It is a nice thought to think that every horse can be placed with someone who will care for it properly. However, the truth is that there are NOT enough people who CAN or WANT to take all of these unwanted animals in.

There is waaaaaay too much supply and not enough demand for these horses. People are giving thier horses away and in these financial situations someone who may be able to care for a horse simply cannot tomorrow.

Then what happens to these horses? Shelters are full, horses are turned loose and starving, owners do not have funds even for euthanasia and you do not have slaughter houses.

The realism for these horses are that they will be neglected, starving, possibly abused by an uncaring owner or transported hundreds of miles for slaughter. To me, if an owner HAS explored every option to re-home an

animal without success, euthanasia is a fair option and much better than the list above.

I am VERY fortunate to be in a situation where I can care for mine and would like to have a couple more, but this is not the case for everyone. It is a very harsh situation for many people these days, and I see it every

single day at work. I continue to be caring and compassionate towards those who are less fortunate and if I end up euthanizing an animal that day for financial situations, at least I know it was well loved and cared for

until very last breath and that the owners made the responsible choice.

I hope I get to see the day where EVERY animal can be taken care of, but today is not that day.
default_no.gif

l have to agree with the above post by White Socks nicely written...in these times which l feel haven't hit bottom yet l've first hand seen people think that nope not them hard times only happen to the other guy...until they become the other guy.

As for auctions they serve a purpose to place animals. So the two have no comparison. Please review what was originally written. [/i][/font][/size]

Wow. Just... wow. 0_o

Maybe you and I are talking about 2 different kind of auctions. I'm not talking about nice auctions like the Breeder's Classic or World Auction.

I'm talking about the monthly lower-quality local/regional all-breed, all-comers auctions with meat men in the bidder pool. Where there's no catalog or screening- you roll up the day of, get your number and herd your offerings in as they're called.

Ever been to one of those auctions? It's scary, scary, scary. They're dumping grounds. Last stop on the train. Lowest rung on the ladder. Really scary stuff. A horse's chance of finding a good quality caring home is not so good at this point.

I am very honest when I say if my choices were the local bottom-rung auction vs putting them down, I'd put them down.

Kimberle,It is a nice thought to think that every horse can be placed with someone who will care for it properly. However, the truth is that there are NOT enough people who CAN or WANT to take all of these unwanted animals in.

There is waaaaaay too much supply and not enough demand for these horses. People are giving thier horses away and in these financial situations someone who may be able to care for a horse simply cannot tomorrow.

Then what happens to these horses? Shelters are full, horses are turned loose and starving, owners do not have funds even for euthanasia and you do not have slaughter houses.

The realism for these horses are that they will be neglected, starving, possibly abused by an uncaring owner or transported hundreds of miles for slaughter. To me, if an owner HAS explored every option to re-home an

animal without success, euthanasia is a fair option and much better than the list above.

I am VERY fortunate to be in a situation where I can care for mine and would like to have a couple more, but this is not the case for everyone. It is a very harsh situation for many people these days, and I see it every

single day at work. I continue to be caring and compassionate towards those who are less fortunate and if I end up euthanizing an animal that day for financial situations, at least I know it was well loved and cared for

I hope I get to see the day where EVERY animal can be taken care of, but today is not that day.
default_no.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I appreciate and respect your point of view. However, obviously I have a different opinion in some aspects. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I do agree that there are WAY too many horses, dogs, cats and other animals that are being bred unnecessarily and that are presently available in the market an have also now been abandoned for one reason or another. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The problem is unfortunately most and I do say most individuals DON’T bother to explore every option that may be available. Realistically when was the last time that you/I can recall someone offering a FREE horse or anything else? You never hear of anyone giving them away unfortunately unless it’s a dwarf and even then you’ll see most individuals attempting to exploit them for the all mighty dollar. So if someone has TRULY done everything within the realm of what I would consider EVERY effort then I might agree. But at this juncture I respectively don’t. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I concur that we’re in the midst of ominous times to which we have yet to see the complete terms. But I also realize that there are still those sources that it hasn’t affected. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

As for auctions they serve a purpose to place animals. So the two have no comparison. Please review what was originally written. [/i][/font][/size]

Wow. Just... wow. 0_o

Maybe you and I are talking about 2 different kind of auctions. I'm not talking about nice auctions like the Breeder's Classic or World Auction.

I'm talking about the monthly lower-quality local/regional all-breed, all-comers auctions with meat men in the bidder pool. Where there's no catalog or screening- you roll up the day of, get your number and herd your offerings in as they're called.

Ever been to one of those auctions? It's scary, scary, scary. They're dumping grounds. Last stop on the train. Lowest rung on the ladder. Really scary stuff. A horse's chance of finding a good quality caring home is not so good at this point.

I am very honest when I say if my choices were the local bottom-rung auction vs putting them down, I'd put them down.

[SIZE=12pt]It's good that you clarified.... [/SIZE]

As I mentioned in the last post if I truly knew that those individuals had done everything within their power of finding adequate provisions for the animal to no avail then I'd have to possibly agree. But sadly the problem is most individuals don't.

Additionally, I do personally have a definite grievance with a few SPECIFIC auction houses and would have to agree that a small few are essentially one step away from a slaughter house. However, there are numerous facilities that do operate under an ethical standard and are of benefit to the animal with assisting in selling/buying.

Realistically when was the last time that you/I can recall someone offering a FREE horse or anything else? You never hear of anyone giving them away unfortunately unless it’s a dwarf and even then you’ll see most individuals attempting to exploit them for the all mighty dollar. So if someone has TRULY done everything within the realm of what I would consider EVERY effort then I might agree. But at this juncture I respectively don’t.
There are currently about a dozen "Free Horse" ads on my local online salesboard. There was also an ad in my city newspaper this weekend offering three minis and a pony free to a good home. Go to one of the auction houses that has weekly sales, and at the end of the sale there are always a couple sellers nearly begging someone to take a horse. There is a supply/demand issue. In regards to minis I think it has greatly affected value, but I don't think when it comes to good horses that we are out of good homes...Yet.

In regards to the original post, have they contacted their local 4H extension? If they are willing to donate the horses they may be able to place them in a knowledgeable family home through 4H. IMO our minis are really underrepresented in that organization.

I have already bought back one horse to help in a situation just like this, In Michigan things are TERRIBLE and folks have really been put in situations they would have never thought could happen to them... VERY SAD.... We have ALWAYS limited our breeding program and will continue to do so... But honestly it is VERY SAD in so many ways humans and animals have ALL been subject to LOSS in this economy...
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures

My Hackney gelding came from one of those horrible end of the line auctions. I have a freind who goes to them and buys as many pony's/horses as she can afford to feed to keep them off the meat wagon. My guy has major behavioral issues, he is scared to death of human contact, but he is not mean and has incredible action. He will make a nice harness horse some day...if I can just catch him!

Up here, the economy is so bad that people are giving away real nice expensive show quality horses because they can't afford to feed them. Its bad.

Can someone please help me understand why there are some people that seem to think that just because an animal has a uterus that it should be bred?!?!? :arg! Do they have to breed every animal that comes across their property, and then if they can't be bred, do they cease to have value?
default_no.gif

I am not a breeder, and am not against all breeding, but I AM against people breeding animals where they don't even know the lineage of the animals they're breeding! (I see more "Unregistered" as either the sire or dam.) I have seen this time and again and cannot believe that there are people that don't take breeding as a huge responsibility. I have read the debates on the forums about selectively breeding and the extensive research into pedigrees, and I have respect for those of you that do that. But WHY would you intentionally breed an animal that is "grade"? (And I can't even stand it when I hear an animal was "accidentally" bred. If you have a stallion you have an even bigger responsibility.)

I have six horses--both full-size and minis--and KNOW all too well how much it costs to care for them. I can't imagine people going into breeding solely for the money-making aspect. Vet costs and the risks alone for breeding minis appear to be quite high. I have both "grade" and registered animals. My best riding horses just happen to have been grade horses; as a wise trainer once told me "you can't ride papers".
default_wink.png
That being said, I still don't advocate breeding "grade" animals.

Breeding is like the "Spandex" rule: [SIZE=10pt]Just because you can doesn't mean you should.[/SIZE]
default_unsure.png

(Off my soapbox now.
default_shutup.gif
Flame suit on.)

[SIZE=12pt]The problem is unfortunately most and I do say most individuals DON'T bother to explore every option that may be available. Realistically when was the last time that you/I can recall someone offering a FREE horse or anything else? You never hear of anyone giving them away unfortunately unless it's a dwarf and even then you'll see most individuals attempting to exploit them for the all mighty dollar. So if someone has TRULY done everything within the realm of what I would consider EVERY effort then I might agree. But at this juncture I respectively don't. [/SIZE]
I see this everyday! Free horses nice horses sound, rideable horses. I would like to know where these people are that have the extra money and time to lend to all the unwanted horses in the world?

Okay, now that I've vented
default_blush.png
, I did want to try and focus on possible solutions. I have thought about this dilemma for years and it's easy to sit back and opine about it, but the real challenge is when it comes to finding solutions. We are smart people and a great country--we should be able to solve this problem! We put a man on the moon, didn't we?

One possibility I've tossed around in my head was something along the lines of escrow accounts, or maybe something like an insurance policy. Horses are the biggest challenge from a logistics sense so my focus is on them. What if when a person purchased or adopted a horse (large, small, or mini) they had to put a deposit into some kind of escrow account? My first thought was an amount equal to the humane euthanasia and disposal of the horse should that ever become necessary. My thoughts are that if someone can't even afford to do this, then they may not be able to afford horse ownership. For breeders there could be a similar, heftier dollar figure for the potential burden of unwanted animals they have bred.

I haven't worked out all the details but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas. Perhaps this can springboard more ideas?

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing more possibilities.
default_saludando.gif

(There are groups that address "unwanted horses" but most of those are just a listing of how to own responsibly and organizations that take in horses--all of which are full. Not much help to those who are desperate. Isn't there some type of "hay fund" out there?)

I know I started this thread. What I am doing is the mare in foal I am trying to place with a good home. If not I will take her until one is found. The yearling I am buying them hay and grain. It really is not that coslty and it will able her to keep the mini's until they get restructured. They are in a better financial situation.

So we will see.

Kimberle,It is a nice thought to think that every horse can be placed with someone who will care for it properly. However, the truth is that there are NOT enough people who CAN or WANT to take all of these unwanted animals in.

There is waaay too much supply and not enough demand for these horses. People are giving their horses away and in these financial situations someone who may be able to care for a horse simply cannot tomorrow.

default_no.gif
Absolutely!!! Well said, WS.
default_smile.png

In thsi world someone turns up to take your little orphan ponies and loves them forever.

Out in the real world, however, people turn up on your doorstep with references and promises and the sun shining on their halos and take your lovely , well fed horses with promises and even with contracts, and the next day the animals are in an auction bought by a Kill Buyer and on their way to slaughter.

Contract??

So, sue her!!

THIS IS A TRUE STORY!!!!!

This is the real world, people and if you cannot live up to your responsibilities you should not be owning horses.

That is the absolute, nasty and blunt truth of the matter.

It is NOT what I would be saying to someone straight off, I would as Zoey has done (WELL DONE ZOEY, BTW!!!!) first off see if I can help myself.

If I cannot then I would step in and offer to get the whole deed done for them, myself, as I have experience of it.

I would hate it but I could do it, I have done it.

When you hit the bottom and cannot see a way out you do NOT shelve your responsibilities by giving them to someone else in the hope that some fictional "good home" will suddenly materialise.

If you cannot afford to keep them.

If there is no one you trust and know who can take them (and I would include a rescue with a track record like "Last Chance" in this but they are few and far between, go look at some on Fugly Horse Of The Day, she is highlighting "rescues" at the moment)

If there is nothing else to be done.

Then you have them put down.

You do NOT advertise them as "free to good home"

A truck load of Minis will be as profitable to a KB as a truck load of BHs as they can squash a lot more in!!!

I dont get why people wait until the last min to do something about it. I am in the same situation. While I can still afford them, have plenty of food, I do know that when the food I have is gone, I wont beable to feed them. I have been advertising for a month or so now.

I think if people looked in advance there might be other options, but I do agree that there are way to many horses for the demand. I do wish the slaughter house were still open as I think that would help alot of people.

I know I started this thread. What I am doing is the mare in foal I am trying to place with a good home. If not I will take her until one is found. The yearling I am buying them hay and grain.
Great way to step up to the plate. What a wonderful seller/breeder!

A 110 lb bale of good grass hay here is $16.95. Is it really that hard right now that folks can't pay that once maybe twice a month?

I have no income, haven't had since Nov. But I am able to purchase hay for my mini and my goats. I will go with out something, shut off a luxery such as cable etc before my animals go hungry or are sold. My mini trusts in me to take care of him and until my old body gives out and I cant wheel my chair our there he will remain here where he is and be fed.

I feed my goats left overs. tators, carrots, celery, lettuce. Once a week I will do the same for my mini, it won't hurt him. If I have bread or biscuits, cereal, chips or oatmeal, they all get some. My animals will not go hungry nor will they be sold. But now also remember this is me, ShotGun is my heart and he stays with me until our hearts no longer beat.

I don't expect others to feel the same as I do but 17 bucks a month is not going to break any one. If you have a herd, then buy in bulk, let them graze more, try different things to get them fed.

My horses here go through 2-3 bales of hay a day.

I feed alfalfa grass mixes at the moment that are 17.99 a bale.

I spend almost $400 a week feeding my horses.

But if someone needs to give me back one of my horses because they can not feed them anymore I dont ask any questions. And take the horse back.

It is hard for me to see how people cant buy 1-4 bales of hay a month for a mini. But I also know there is always extenuation circumstances that can not be anticipated.

Latest posts

Back