Times are getting tough

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
We knew the economy was getting tough. We down sized. Two buyers from the past called us telling us how bad things are and they dont know what to do with thier minis. I feel so bad. One person has 2 yearlings and another has a mare in foal. I am trying to help place these minis. Any suggestions would be great. I am going to see how many I can take. Any suggestions where to place these horses???

Thanks

Sadly I think we'll be seeing more of this in the next year. At least these people are responsible about it and trying to find them a new home where they'll be cared for. If it were me I would suggest first that they consider slashing the price or (as many people around here are doing with saddle horses) offering them for free with references (Vet at least) Some people who are needing to move horses seem to hold out for what the 'value' of the horse is (as they perceive it) and in hard times those buyers willing to pay any real money are few and far between, what the sellers don't seem to realize is that if they added up what the animal is costing them while they keep it longer they would be better off to sell sooner and take less. JMO

When all else fails there are always rescues and even if they have no room you can usually get them to add the horses to their lists for prospective homes right away while they continue to stay with the present owner. Those are the only things that come to mind right now, it is fortunate for them to be able to come to you for help in a time like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
A free lease is also something you could suggest they consider.

This isn't just limited to miniatures. It's happening with the big horses too- in spades. The kill buyers won't even take but the fattest ones. People are just turning them out to fend for themselves. The rescues are full.

It's very, very scary and the situation isn't going to get better for a while. Just wait until annual reports come out in a few weeks detailing, line by painful line, just how much the corporate world bled. My money says the market panics (again) and pees itself (again) I'm sitting right here in the maelstrom and trust me: it's as bad as the news says it is. We are in deep, deep doo-doo.

There are not many options. I feel Miniatures are in a really bad spot because they are small in size, and so many people think they can be treated/cared for like a dog, and percieve them to have no value. So I cringe to think what kind of homes Minis in these situations might get.

It's not a pleasant thing to contemplate, but putting them down may be kinder then sending them to an uncertain future. People like to think there's always an option and always a home, but there ISN'T, especially right now. There are only so many homes to go around. The only horses that are really "safe" in terms of being able to find a buyer are the cream of the crop. Anything else is woefully vunerable.

In my oppinion, if things get bad enough, I can always drive my minis to the store or other close places. I have a farm wagon along with my EZ entry and show cart. We have lots of wheels.

Zoey829...can you give me a name, link or website to the person with the bred mare as I am looking for one right now? thanks, Shelly

Like someone has mentioned its one of those times where you almost just need to cut your losses and make sure you find good homes for these horses. You will find it will sometimes be tough just to find a good home for a free horse. Feed is expensive and its sad to say it will be cheaper in the long run to find the horses homes now and good ones and some you may just have to give away.

The important thing is to find these horses good homes!

Good homes??

Where???

There are going to be THOUSANDS of horse looking for these largely mythical "good homes" and people need to be aware of this.

Littleum has the answer.

It is time to get real and to live up to your responsibilities.

If you cannot afford to keep them you have to put them down.

There just are not that many reliable, for real, good homes around and, I can tell you, they are going to be really spoilt for choice pretty soon!!!

Post on the sale board, low price, approve the home. I am a foster for Chances Mini Rescue, I have room but I am also close to the middle of nowhere. Something can always be done before taking drastic measures. I have over the years unfortunately PAID for horse big and small that were starving, or ill, untrained. Not intentionally seeking out horses in bad situations, but I always found room to add another, rehab, then adopt out to good homes. If these minis are well taken care of already then cut the loss and diligently find a good home. It shouldn't be too difficult, especially out west here.

It shouldn't be too difficult, especially out west here.
So the West didn't get smashed around by the housing crisis? I seem to have some recollection of AZ and CA housing values falling through the earth, and it's just snowballing as people with huge mortgages walk away from houses now worth half the note balance. And in the PNW hay is very dear. CA has told its vendors and tax payers that they can't pay up on open invoices or refunds.

The problem the OP is facing isn't an isolated case. They're just the first person to post on this forum about what they're facing- but other forums are littered with posts like this, as are the sales sites, newspapers, feed shop boards. This is a very wide spread issue. I guess it just took this long to come to Miniature-land because they cost so little to feed.

Speaking in general terms people need to look at some cold hard reality: how many can be saved, really? How many good homes are there, really?

I'm not saying not to try to place the horses. I also don't know how desperate the owners' situation is. "Bad" might mean they just would be more comfortable selling the horses, or it might mean they're about to be on the street and the horses are already going hungry.

If their situation is totally dire, and they are at the point where their options are taking the to the auction or putting them in a field to fend for themselves, and there is NO more time left... putting them down is the kinder option.

The west is just as bad as the rest of the world. I know someone that had to take a 50% pay cut just to keep their job. I have seen horse after horse being put for free. Then there is the person that will not bend on the price. They will put the horse down first. Then people that think it is smart to find a herd and turn the horses out with them. Really not a smart move. A large number of the free horses are 18 and older. Part of the reason for that is it costs a couple of hundred dollars to get rid of them if they die. Reno Rendering charges to pick up a dead animal and then they make more money off of it when they process it. I will take a dead animal to the landfill first. It costs less. Unfrotunately, I have no more room for horses nor the funds to feed more or I would take more on myself.

I agree with alot of what has been said but to play devils advocate here,alot of people who are to the point they cant afford thier horses at that point cant afford the cost of euthanasia either. My advice is to see if maybe the humane society could help either find them homes or cover the costs of putting them down.If you willingly turn them over before you starve them to death then maybe they will have a better chance of finding them homes. Times are hard for everyone but if someone had some serious cash they could do some pretty nice upgrading... I hope they find them homes instead of the other...

Sadly I think we'll be seeing more of this in the next year. At least these people are responsible about it and trying to find them a new home where they'll be cared for. If it were me I would suggest first that they consider slashing the price or (as many people around here are doing with saddle horses) offering them for free with references (Vet at least) Some people who are needing to move horses seem to hold out for what the 'value' of the horse is (as they perceive it) and in hard times those buyers willing to pay any real money are few and far between, what the sellers don't seem to realize is that if they added up what the animal is costing them while they keep it longer they would be better off to sell sooner and take less. JMOWhen all else fails there are always rescues and even if they have no room you can usually get them to add the horses to their lists for prospective homes right away while they continue to stay with the present owner. Those are the only things that come to mind right now, it is fortunate for them to be able to come to you for help in a time like this.

[SIZE=12pt]I totally agree with you.... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My personal opinion is that if you or someone you know is unable to attend to the basic care of the animal regardless of it being a horse, dog, cat or otherwise then do the human thing and offer that animal to someone who can. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Therefore, I completely disagree with having them euthanized. There is always someone that can and will be able to provide for it. Irregardless of what’s transpiring with our economy. The all mighty dollar is not the ruling factor here. The animal’s well being and proper care is. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The problem is we always think we’re the only ones who can take care of them and we’re not. There are plenty of excellent and qualified individuals that can provide the same care if not better. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If we continued to think along the other lines then obviously ALL of us would have never had the ability to own horses either. Don’t think about what you can’t do and begin thinking about what you can…. [/SIZE]

I agree with alot of what has been said but to play devils advocate here,alot of people who are to the point they cant afford thier horses at that point cant afford the cost of euthanasia either. My advice is to see if maybe the humane society could help either find them homes or cover the costs of putting them down.

I agree, a huge help would be for everyone to stop or slow down on breeding. I see this as a issue with large horses as well as minis.

STOP BREEDING!!! I don't understand how people can continue breeding in this economy. AND, it's been comming on, it's not new. I read over and over on this forum alone....have foals coming, have bred my mare to ...... am going to breed to.....JUST STOP BREEDING!! I can't emphasize that enough! Is it that hard to understand??
default_no.gif

Pam

[SIZE=12pt]My personal opinion is that if you or someone you know is unable to attend to the basic care of the animal regardless of it being a horse, dog, cat or otherwise then do the human thing and offer that animal to someone who can. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Therefore, I completely disagree with having them euthanized. There is always someone that can and will be able to provide for it. Irregardless of what’s transpiring with our economy. The all mighty dollar is not the ruling factor here. The animal’s well being and proper care is. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The problem is we always think we’re the only ones who can take care of them and we’re not. There are plenty of excellent and qualified individuals that can provide the same care if not better. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If we continued to think along the other lines then obviously ALL of us would have never had the ability to own horses either. Don’t think about what you can’t do and begin thinking about what you can…. [/SIZE]
WELL SAID...THANK YOU!!!
default_saludando.gif

The worst foreclosure rates are in the west - Nevada being number 1, then Arizona, Florida, California and then Colorado. Jobs are being lost by the thousands. This weekend I saw six new foreclosure/ bank repo signs in the area and then then next day I saw three more. People here are trying to GIVE full sized horses away, with no luck.

Just to add a note, the rescues for all animals here are not only full but beyond full. My sister is losing their home in CA and have two dogs. They have tried finding them homes for weeks now and also tried to place them with rescues and were turned away. They CANNOT TAKE ANY MORE. Some have 10 times the amount that they even intended to have and cannot even find homes for them. People losing their homes are leaving their pets behind by the hundreds
default_no.gif
- there IS no place to put them!!

I am luckily in a position where I dont need to sell anyone and have room for about 3-5 more minis. (Not including the foals I have due.)

However I will be breeding however I will not be breeding more than I can keep and care for properly.

I am however fully prepared and able to care for any and all of my planned breedings.

Latest posts

Back