time for a carer change......... not by choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike K

Reaction score
Lets see I am just shy of 30. I have been in the automotive industry in one form or the other since I was 16. For the last 5 years I have been the general manager for a used car lot. The owner has had it on his mind to close for a while and I new that. Well last week I was told that we had 2 weeks and he was closing the door. Not a big surprise but a bit faster then I thought. Then today I was told that is it he is done. So here I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I don't really want to go back to turning a wrench. I just got burned out on it. The auto finance industry is hot on the heels of home finance. Lending more money then cars are worth. financing people that cat afford it. Most people are at least 6 grand upside down if they own a car that is less then 3 years old. I haven't had more then 3 days off in 7 years. I had 3 days when we got married and I took 2 days when I had a truck wreck that earned me a ride in care flight and a stay in intensive care. I cant stand to be trapped inside all day. I need something that challenges my mind and keeps me on my tows. I love to work with my hands and create new things. I would like to be able to have a least a couple of weekends out of the year with 2 days off. 6 days a week 10-12 hrs a day gets old. Would be nice to make a respectable wage.

well I guess I will shut up just kinda thinking out load and slightly venting. any Ideas about what I should be when I grow up speak up.

Mike

Well Mike, your post sounds like you're on the right track in persuing something that YOU want to do, that YOU enjoy doing. Making a list of those things would be a good start and from there see what kind of jobs are out there that need what you like to do and that can use your talent. Perhaps it's something that would have you start your own business but then your hours would be alot for start-up. Perhaps you know someone else in the same situation and would like to partner with you. There are alot of good resources on the net that might help you figure out how to get from point A (your ideas) to point B (self-employment vs working for someone else. Keep us posted on your exciting journey. Looks like you have a GREAT attitude about this. The very best to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to look into the railroads, either as a mechanic, track crew or as a train crewman. Railroads are pretty darn secure right now, usually GREAT benefits and a spectacular retirement plan. Just something to think about.

om

I had to smile when I read your post. You sound just like my "Mike". He was laid off 3 mths ago. Did RV sales and some repair work. He has gotten into something that gets him out of house, allows him to be outside and actually PAYS REAL MONEY! He is now driving Charter Buses. He just started this week, so it's very new and very fun. He may change his mind once he's been doing it for a while, but for now, it's great.

We live in Texas, too. You have to get your CDL. (If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you how he got that). The company he works for has 2 types of drivers. Those that only want to do long trips (3 days or more) and those that want to do short trips. They get paid for driving and they get paid for "down time". If they are on the road, hotels and meals are paid for. Let's say you take a group to Aspen, Colorado for a week. You paid to drive them there, then while you wait to come home you get paid for waiting. Your room and all meals are paid for. While you wait, you are free to do whatever you want to...go skiing, see the sights, go fishing....whatever...as long that bus is ready to pull out and head home at the right time.

Or if you choose to do short trips, your home every evening and you can pick and choose if you want to be home on the weekends.

Something to think about.

Good luck with your new career.

Mike,

Steve may be looking into the insurance industry (as an adjuster). Auto adjusting might be a field for you to look into...just a thought
default_smile.png

Slinkky it say your are NE of Dallas you cant be far from us then. I am not much on setting and driving all day. I did that for a while and it was not for me. I have to be able to move around.

Marty where do your apply for that.

I have a line on a job that I would love to have. It is a work from home office deal. I am trying wright a resume but I have never been really good at that. I have the experience and the skills needed for the job. I also no a couple of the guys that work for the company. Now if I can keep from sounding like a total buffoon maybe I will have a chance at getting it. I am a talker not a writer.

any one on here right resume's

Mike

I live in Wylie. That's between Plano and Rockwall. Looks like your a little north and east of Bonham.

We go riding at the Caddo Grasslands. Are you close to that?

Slinkky it say your are NE of Dallas you cant be far from us then. I am not much on setting and driving all day. I did that for a while and it was not for me. I have to be able to move around.
Marty where do your apply for that.

I have a line on a job that I would love to have. It is a work from home office deal. I am trying wright a resume but I have never been really good at that. I have the experience and the skills needed for the job. I also no a couple of the guys that work for the company. Now if I can keep from sounding like a total buffoon maybe I will have a chance at getting it. I am a talker not a writer.

any one on here right resume's

Mike

Mike,

I used to write resumes as a part of my job with a career consulting firm.......another lifetime ago. I still periodically help friends with their resumes. If you would like some help PM me, okay?

Maryann

Maryann wish I had seen this a little earlier. I sent in the one I wrote but it was not as nice as I would have liked it to be.

Slinkky the Caddo Grasslands is pretty spread out around here. I have some of it not even 300 yards from my house. I would bet the part you are talking about is over buy coffee mill and crocket lakes in that case they are about 8 miles by the way a bird flies.

Marty that is pretty cool I need to spend some time on the web site.

I had a offer today. there is a guy that is putting in a new fitness center in town. He offered to pay for my personal trainer certificate if I would offer trainer services there. I said I am game. they are looking to open next month and I am sure it would take a while to build up any clients but it would be something to do even after I get a new job.

Mike

Latest posts

Back