Tick repellant needed!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvcsherman

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good tick repellant to use on horses? Our daughters new pony seems to be allergic to them. He gets huge bloody lumps where he has been bitten.
default_no.gif

I don't know of a tick repellent. All the sudden I am having ticks here--strange season for them! I am spraying my horses' legs and lower body with oil-base fly spray, hoping it will deter the little monsters. Mine seem to be getting the ticks from the grass, and not from the trees, as so far one has been under the jaw and one beside the mouth. I check the ends of the tails, too, as I find a tick there sometimes. None on their backs, manes, or ears--thank goodness!

This season seems to be one of constant vigilance here. Besides watching for the ticks, I've been removing bot eggs and those little whirlie grass seeds that screw into the skin. I have not had bots or those grass seeds in several years.

What about using a dog (big dog) flea and tick collar or maybe the drops you use on dogs for ticks? Just a thought.
default_wink.png

We find that Zonkit fly spray works well to keep ticks off. It is a water based product, but has a residual effect. I lightly spray the lower legs, the tail, a bit under the belly unless the mare is nursing a foal, the forelock area (being careful to avoid the eyes) and the mane. If we had much brush I'd probably spray the chest and front of neck too.

Here a couple of times per week is enough and since I have a few horses that have sensitive skin I aply lightly. If I forget and miss a spray or two they do pick up ticks so I figure it's working when I don't forget.
default_smile.png

Charlotte

I use Equispot on my two and have not had a tick all season, even after driving in the woods....love the stuff....

Latest posts

Back