Thyroid questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Range

Reaction score
I've been doing some research because I have a suspicion my mare has some thyroid issues. However, I can't find much out there! Can anyone tell me the symptoms of hypo and hyper thyroidism? I need some background information before I can convince my husband we need the vet to test her!

We had a mare with very low thyroid. She was very overweight, thick in the neck, and just plain fat. Her belly would bounce around when she ran. The blood test cost us $30 and was well worth it. The medicine to help this is top dressed on the grain and cost us approx $75 dollars a year. She slimmed down with the medicine alone to a normal weight.

She never did take a pregnancy even with her meds so she was sold as a pet. Low Thyroid can play tricks on the reproduction of horses.

I recommended the blood test highly. In our opinion letting her be so obese was asking for problems with her hooves etc.

I have heard of the other way, being to thin, but according to my vet this is far less common.

Good Luck.

Traci and Family

We have just been through this with my 6 yr old mare. She was fat though she was on a diet. This manifested with laminitis not founder. She was then tested for throid counts the test was $30 and also for insulin resistance as there was no other reason we could think of for her laminitis. She also had a late term abortion last year that the vet could find no reason for. She had the lowest count our vet has ever seen so she was put on a strict diet and is on Thro L I think thats the name of it. We started with 1/2 teaspoon with her evening feeding and she has turned into a different horse in just a couple of months her energy is up and she is under all that fat a tiny little thing. We will be retesting this month to be sure the levels are correct. no more laminitis and she just looks brighter all around. Her symptons were the look of a very overweight mare she had a late term abortion last year and didnt catch for this year She could live on air really. She is still not where we want her but she is coming along well. I also have a pregnant mare that I also suspected might have a problem because even when not pregnant she was fat though she did not eat enough to be that fat. Well we also tested her and sure enough though her levels arent as bad as the first mare she does have an issue. This is by far not common but I am lucky enough to have two that have it. LOL> They also are late to shed and have more hair then others. She is also on the meds but she may have a lesser dose after the foal arrives. they do need to be retested and diet altered. My vet is hopeful that we will sustain the pregnancy of the second mare and that the first mare will cycle again now that she is on the meds. In fact I am quite sure she already is cycling. The meds here were $36.00 for a jar but it has enough I would think for two mares for at least 6 month maybe longer. I will know more as time goes on. I am very thankful I had the testing done as it is obvious how much better the mare feels. Go for it.

"Hypo" is when levels are below normal, and this results in obesity, among other things. Medications can raise the levels and put them back in the "normal" range so this problem can be managed sucessfully. "Hyper" is when the levels are above normal. This is very rare, but when it happens the horse gets very thin no matter how much they eat. Occasionally this diagnosis is missed and the horse is just thought to be a hard keeper. The hyper- is far less common than the hypo, and is much trickier to treat.

Let me tell you about this mare and see what you think. She's never been bred, she's three this year. She lost her coat like the big horses this year and didn't need to be clipped, which is a first. However, her hair is longer than our other minis'. She gets exercise, about 10 to 20 minutes almost every day. She eats but a handful of grain and is on dry lot with access to hay, but not free choice. She's 36" inches tall and she's fat! She has fat pockets on her sides, her neck is a little cresty and thick. However, she does not have a crease, and her spine is easily visible. I can feel her ribs through her padding, but she is still overweight for the amount of food she is getting. I definitely think she would remain the same weight even if I didn't give her any grain or hay - which I wouldn't do. So, I'm thinking the test is in order?

I would test. Usually a thyroid problem = abortion.

Make sure they do a complete test as I understand their are different ones. For some reason the term T4 comes to mind.............

Our dog vet does them for horses... Just open the door of the car, and off we go. In our case, it turns out, that we just have FAT minis... lol..

Hope everything turns out okay for you.

God Bless,

Lynn W

Back