This one had me stumped

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
My second foal this year was a very pretty little filly. When "Moonglow" was born, I thought black with blaze & socks.

20100424MoonglowNewbornLaying1.jpg

But, then upon her drying....I'm thinking, she's much too light....she looks Silver Dapple (Silver Black) Her sire is our Bay Frame Overo, and her dam is our Chestnut Tovero CockRobin daughter. (both also carry Sabino) Her dam is a full sister to Kickapoo's Nickelodeon (a Silver Black) So, even tho her dam has never been tested, I know it's a "possibility" that she carries Silver.

See how light Moonglow looks in these photos....

20100427MoonglowDejawithMares.jpg

20100427MoonglowandDejaTrot.jpg

....and this one where she was body clipped

DSCF4210.jpg

I was really wavering back & forth between Silver Dapple, and Black Sabino. But finally settled on Silver Black Sabino when I sent in her registrations.

Now, this is what she looks like....she is getting darker. But she isn't as dark as these picture make her look. She is the color of "Pewter"...kind of a gun-metal gray. She does have a lot of Sabino "roaning" thoughout her body, but it isn't a mixture of white & black hairs, it's a mixture of white & dark gray. Confusing!

MoonglowGlamourRight01.jpg

(sorry...the angle the pic was taken from is BAD....taken from above)
default_rolleyes.gif

MoonglowGlamourFullFront.jpg

I just got her test results back......so, what do you think she is?

Moonglow tested negative for SILVER and negative for LWO.

So.....She can only be Black Sabino. I wish you could see this girl in person. Her hair is GRAY mixed with some white hairs....not BLACK mixed with white. I never thought Sabino lightened hair at all, just mixed white in with it. Maybe her hair will darken up to black with age? She's only 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
She "looks" silver black to me.
default_smile.png
No sabino, carrying splash or LWO.

Definitely Silver Black. My Alladdin changes from dove grey in the winter to pewter in the summer.
default_smile.png
I don't think Sabino.

Well don't keep me waiting too long Dona!
default_laugh.png

My pewter colt (with blaze) sired by Apache's brother Topper is the same color!
default_wacko.png
(but out of a bk pinto mare)

My silver black foals are born much lighter, and are super light when shaved, so I vote black.

I know of a carbon copy, so I can't wait to hear!
default_new_shocked.gif

I have no idea, but I am going to guess black, but from the tail I'll also say silver. Not the normal silver black... So I can't wait to hear! Sabino.
default_wub.png
And stunning! What a cute filly!

I posted the results on my initial post. But here they are as well.

Moonglow tested negative for SILVER and negative for LWO.

So.....She can only be Black Sabino. I wish you could see this girl in person. Her hair is GRAY with white hairs mixed in....not BLACK mixed with white. I never thought Sabino lightened hair at all, just mixed white in with it. Maybe her hair will darken up to black with age? She's only 3 months. These colors never cease to amaze me!
default_wacko.png

I believe Joanne from Pacific Pintos has had a couple of horses that look just like yours that tested for negative for silver. The greyish tinge comes from Sabino, along with the pretty blaze.

Pretty girl!

Hmmm I am wondering the same thing about my colt this year Dona.

Sire:Magic Mans All Izon Me - Black tovero LWO positive - Negative for silver.

Dam:GG'S Little Gypse Rose - sorrel w/flaxen mane and tail

These are his photos that were just taken - clipped.

_MG_7113.JPG

_MG_7117.JPG

_MG_7137.JPG

I plan to have him tested very soon. I'm thinking he is going to darken up alot as he gets older also.

Your filly is GORGEOUS!

Wow! I didn't expect that result, but no matter what color she officially is, she's got pretty locked down tight!
default_smile.png

Wow! That surprises me, but I guess when it comes to color genetics nothing should surprise me.

Congratulations no matter what color she is because she's GORGEOUS!
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back