Thinking up names

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
There are some fab names on this forum...and often the name is already on the foal when the birth is announced.......Do you find it easy?? Do you have a system or just wait till the foal is born to see what comes to you?? How do you think up names for your foals???

I usually use a theme.. This year I'm using music/bands as a theme... As for barn name I usually name based on their personailties and what seems to fit them

I have a whole list of really unusual or neat names. I haven't used one yet! I usually let the foal name itself when it is born. The little mule we just had, my first thought was Molly but her personality said no. She is Fiesty! and she is!!! The colt, I'm seriously thinking of calling him Don't Tell Momma 'cause this mare always sneaks them in with no signs.

Minimule, I do that too!! :lol: My stud name is Slaneyrose (could you guess? lol) so I once did a google search on miniature roses. I came up with loads so I have them listed and if the colour and the name fits I use it!! So far I have had a Sea Breeze (orange red) filly was chestnut! And Iyana Bloom (cream) filly was palomino pinto! I also have other names that strike me as pretty in my horse diary so I can look over them when foals or puppies arrive.

I've got a million of them. How many do you want? I watch a lot of TV.........

I have long lists of names too - especially for some of my mares that I stick with a theme or ones I come across that I like - many will never be used. Celena one of my mares most of her babies have - moon related names, her 1/2 sisters name is Etoile (French for star) many of her babies have star/celestial names in different languages.

Others just hit me right and the barn name - the horse names itself, why some of ours do not match the registered name at all. We have a Ninjas 45 Dreams (for her pedigree) her name, Dena. The mare I had foal tonight I call Muffy as her dam, Muffin, was here (I didn't own either at the time), and Muffy had no name, so I called her Muffy to keep track of her - her registered name Beach Bunny.

One of our babies born this year, Bonnie Fogg helped name (although she doesn't know it!). She was doing a reading on a different mare and said this mare thinks she's all that and a bag of chips! I thought that was a great name, so, Peanut's registered name is Shes All That!

I always liked what the Scheurings (Samis Lil Horse Ranch) do - all the names born in a specific year begin with the same letter of the alphabet.

I keep lists of names that I've collected over the years, some follow a theme such as Western Movies, Indian-related names, Nature-related names, etc. As the personality of the foal develops sometimes I'll change the name I intended to use to one that fits them more perfectly.

The naming of something is important, it's got to reflect both their heritage, their future, and their present life.

Here's a fun link for names..........some of them will never be duplicated! Over 1 Million Names: Horse Name Generator

LOL,...That name generator is cool!!!!!!! :bgrin :aktion033:

The first time I klicked it is said

Bugeyed Bum !!!!!!! LOL

Thanks,..I added it to my favorites.
default_yes.gif
:

I am NEVER anygood with names.
default_sad.png

I have a huge list of names... and every year as I anxiously await new foals I sit and think, now this one, if it's a filly it will be 'such and such' if it's this color, or that color, and 'such and such' if it's a boy and this color...

I do that for all the foals.

I have NEVER ended up using those well thought out names. When the baby's born, it names itself.

Ours are named after song titles.

We have only had three foals. Two of the foals registered names were picked out before they were born. Our foal that was born last weekend was named the day after he was born. I figured out his barn name pretty quickly though. I have been wanting to name a foal Topper. This came from some friends that have a horse named Topper that I loved and my favorite weather guy's first name is Topper.

Latest posts

Back