Thinking of Showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
I really want to start showing and thinking of going to the show in Corsicana in March. I guess the best thing for me is to jump in a do it, because if I don't then I never will. I've never been to a show but once I'm there I'll be thinking this is easy and I want to show.

I've showed paint horses and steers. I have a DVD I bought from ebay so I'm watched a couple of miniature horse classes on that. So I have watched a couple.
default_rolleyes.gif

I figured out how to clip, to get the horses ready now I'm think of what I'm going to wear. I can practice on Apache... (poor boy!)

I was thinking a pair of nicce blue jeans, nice button down shirt, with my new pair of boots. I know keep my long hair in a bun because it does get in my way.

Oh gosh I have butterflies already!

I suggest black slacks and a blazer. A bit of sparkle or splash of color is nice, but don't overdo it. Blue jeans and button down tops just don't look as sharp. Comfortable footwear is definitely important. You don't have to spend all day walking around in cowboy boots if you don't want to. Instead of a bun, you can also do your hair up in clips, or braid it.

default_new_shocked.gif
I found my old quarter horse undershirts and tried it on. It still fits!!!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
. I wore that when I was 16! I'm so happy. So I need to find a blazer and I have a pair of black pant. Then I wouldn't live without my cowboy boots.

I can't do my own hair that go so, it will have to go into a pretty bun.

default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif

Thanks!

Last year was my first year of showing mini's, I did have a little experiance with big horses before and really the dress is not the same. You don't do the western look! The blazer is very important. You can go on to ebay and look at some of the show jackets on there and you can get one at a great price. No western hat and your hair just out of the way, but can be down. I got a nice pair of black tennis type shoe that are comfey and black slacks. I hope that helps. It is so much fun I had the time of my life. But I also had the best coaches.

Patty

It really depends on the classes you plan to show in. You are lucky because in Texas, you will still find quite a bit of western wear
default_smile.png
I agree with the others that if you're going to go to some of the larger shows or shows in other parts of the country, you will want to get black pants and a blazer of some sort. But for Corsicana which only has AMHR performance classes, your jeans (nice ones!) and long sleeved button down shirt would work just fine for any of the Obstacle, Hunter, or Jumper classes. You'll still see lots of western wear in Showmanship also.
default_saludando.gif

Hair in a nice tidy bun works just fine!

The Corsicana show is currently a AMHR performance only show on Fri/Sat with a ASPC show Sat/Sun. So, for minis there isn't any halter. You can go to my webpage and surf around for what's appropiate to wear in our area. I like a nice blazer for halter/driving and nice shirt with black pants for performance.

But don't worry, Corsicana is a pretty relaxed show.
default_yes.gif

default_no.gif
I guess nevermind....

I don't know how to do anything with performance....

Thanks though

You can always come out and do Liberty for fun. It is a very stress free and fun class. It would be a great way to get your feet wet. Corsicana is a relaxed show, it would perfect to make it your first. Hope to see ya there!!!!

PS..... Liberty is usually on Friday night.

We've been showing for about 10 years and have seen all different kinds of dress. My daughter has always went with the Western look, nice dress pants, startched with a crease, a blazer and nice top underneath with pretty jewlery, boots, belt and buckle. Shes gotten lots of compliments and I shop at consignment shops and such to get her jackets, change the buttons add some bling-bling and good to go. Hair should be up or off the face. We've always felt the bigger the show the better the dress....your representing all your hard work and shouldn't wear anything that would distract from the horse. We see alot of people in dark pants, tops and blazers over it with comfortable dark shoes that look great.......
default_aktion033.gif
I guess its kind of your personal preference. Have fun!
default_aktion033.gif
Oh and you might want a few changes as you can get dirty quickly and you'll want to look neat and clean!

Last edited by a moderator:
A low key show is the best way to start out. You could always do halter obstacle. Just practice ahead of the show with all kinds of props. You don't need anything fancy, there are plenty of things you can put together with stuff that's hanging out in your house or barn. I bought the 4 DVD set made by the Show Me Little Equine Club and thought it was great. TONS of tips for beginners. They cover clipping & grooming, halter, obstacle and driving. I bought them on sale for $40 for the set. Worth every penny and more, I thought.

Latest posts

Back