Thinking about buying a gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
Next year will be crazy for me. I will have four foals 3 mini 1 qh. I am thinking about buying a mini gelding to show, a nice quiet nonhormonal lover boy sounds nice. What dose everyone think about showing geldings?

I have seen some AWESOME geldings and you are right- you dont have to worry about them at all being hormonal, lol Or even purchase a nice stallion and make it into a gelding?

We LOVE our geldings!!!
default_yes.gif
There are super top quality show geldings in halter and performance all over the place out there!
default_firstprize.gif
No tetesterone going on; no mare heats; no temptations to breed-just go and enjoy!
default_xreiter.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Geldings are great! If you want a show gelding, the ones that do well are "stallion" quality
default_yes.gif

I think for the everyday person showing, geldings are awesome and a great way to get started. There are so many nice stallions out there that would make awesome geldings. Plus you have the fun of a horse that you can keep out showing for several years instead of a breeding animal that needs to stay home. Wonderful decision and you will have a blast.

As stated....a gelding that you can show is a TREASURE.

You have a huge market as a buyer. You can either get an already gelded horse or a beautiful show quality colt and geld him yourself.

We almost only show geldings - from our own breeding. I think a great show gelding is an excellent promotion for your breeding program.

AMHA offers gelding incentive programs that give you the chance to earn money back on showing at the world show. You could also consider buying something futurity nominated with either registry for the chance to earn money, or tap into the Kentucky Incentive program which offers substantial pay backs. The other advantage is that geldings tend to be far less expensive, and far less hormonal. As stated, your market will be huge. I would recommend considering horses that you can see in person, or that an agent that you know and trust can see in person. And of course, follow through with the basic, no brainer, buying procedures such as checking the horse for health concerns and measuring with a stick that is specifically designed for equines before loading the horse into the trailer and bringing it home. And of course, having all health papers including negative coggins in hand before doing so as well.

I would also suggest solidifying all transactions between buyer and seller before advertising the experience, weather negative or positive, on a public forum. So many people get on here and post ridiculous and tacky posts that, instead of resulting in the "warning" that they probably intended, it results in many readers of such posts questioning the author's ethics and experience.

Good Luck, and have fun.
default_smile.png

Coming from someone with a barn load of only hormonal mares GO GELDINGS! You can even consider gelding your own stallion if you don't want to breed anymore. He's cute and already paid for! Good luck and best wishes to you.

I actually really like a gray gelding I found. Hes has tons of show exp so i can learn alot from him. And hes quiet so beginners and kids can handle him.

Id rehome my buckskin pinto stud before id geld honestly, same with my pally and white.

That's a great idea! We currently have two geldings that our grand kids show, and just bought a really nice colt that will be gelded this fall for them. He is double registered so my granson can show him in both registries and 4-H. Got him at the Champions sale for a real steal! It is a buyers market right now, so have fun shopping.

I dont personally have kids (honestly dont want any) but my friend runs a 4h club and the minis are awesome to teach the kids with especially with the age group she has. Im trying to get my other half into showing and my current minis can be....stubborn lol.

For the first time ever, we showed our two year old gelding this year and had a BLAST! Edgar cleaned up, sometimes sadly because there were not many other geldings, but regardless he was so much fun to show! Easy to work with, responsive, excellent manners in the ring, just a ton of fun! I don't understand why people don't show more geldings as you don't have to deal with the studdy stallion behavior or the moody mare syndrome. I love my geldings, smartest animals we have on the farm....

Find yourself a nice gelding and have some fun. Like others have pointed out, there are many really nice geldings our there for slightly more than a song......

Back