Their heart's in the right place....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amalthea

Reaction score
Sorry guys, just needed a little equine comiseration. I got a call today from my S.O. that the game warden in my area stopped by because we got a complaint from someone that our horses weren't being taken care of. Also someone called and said my horses were out on the road which never happened. I was at work and so grateful my S.O. was home to take him around and show the warden our pastures and feed. He said all was fine by him and the horses looked good, but I just can't help but wonder why someone would do such a thing.

It makes me scared and also very angry. I mean, I once stood for two hours in the coldand the dark to hand graze my one mare when her buddy went away and she wouldn't eat. I have lived a week off ramen and cereal so the money could got to the horse feed when we just moved and the movers screwed up the amount we owed. I love my girls and they have grass, grain, hay, and fresh water. They are out 24-7 but they have a run in that's dry and bedded with straw and they get their blankets when the weather is bad or cold. (And for the record I have had less issues with them getting sick since I started letting them stay out as much as they wanted.)

What's more is it creeps me out that someone is keeping tabs on my horses and I don't know who it is. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you guys do?

Make a record of the date and person who came out....in case you ever need it in the future. AND call the warden and ask who complained. In our area they must advise you.

Beyond this.....you know they are fine, they know they are fine, the warden knows, so don't worry about the complaint. Maybe they just DON'T KNOW how it is far healthier for them the way they are able to use shelter when THEY want, not when we want. It's true, some people are not horse people
new_shocked.gif
Hard to believe, I know
rolleyes.gif

That's scary to think someone would turn you in even though you take very good care of your animals. Can you ask the warden who turned you in just to ease your mind of who is keeping tabs? I'm glad to hear all turned out well, you never know when someone will stick their nose somewhere it doesn't belong. I agree though that you should definately keep a record just in case something happens again. It seems that if the weather is a little bad and your horses are standing outside rather than in their sheds someone will think they are being mistreated
rolleyes.gif

From what I understand, the local animal authorities are required to check on any official "complaint" and see whether it is valid or not. I've been told by our own that they get a number of false complaints from people, so try to go out with an open mind.

I've also been told that when an "official complaint" has been filed, it is a public record, so you have every right to find out who filed it!

What fries me is that, animal control (or who ever) tends to be more on the ball about checking out people who are RESPONSIBLE, but then they drop ball with people who are obviously neglecting -- even abusive.

MA

OK first loved the title I feel that way about many things........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Second I am very cynical and trust no one......was this warden for real would be my first question? I would be worried some horse thief posing as a warden was scoping out my animals......me ...paranoid.....nahhhh
rolleyes.gif

once you know this person is official ...yes call and give the date and badge number and name to verify......in this day and age they won't be shocked by being questioned......once this all checks out...chalk it up to a nosey neighbor with too much time on their hands....or maybe PETA has been in your area......or someone is scoping out your horses.........

I was very qweebed out that someone knew my routine well enough to dump a goat on my property

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was thinking of giving the warden's office a call tomorrow. I would like to know what was being complained about. James, my SO was there, and though he's not a horse person, he's learning
wub.gif
. I know the warden is legit because my horsey neighbor was notified by him (She's been here for ages and ages and she knows him personally) when he got the call to get directed to where the property is. She also came because after she hung up with him she called my landlord (Also a longtime resident) to make sure things were alright at the place and the guy at his work said someone called to say the horses were out on the road. (Can we say SMALL TOWN??) So of course she came running thinking my babies were running free. I notified my other neighbor to keep his eye's peeled for odd activity. I'm just a bit jumpy since someone showed up on the property a while back asking my neighbor about the horses. Said they "rescued animals" but they did leave a business card. I always figured they were looking for foster homes.

Yep, Know how you feel.

It turns out it was our noisey neighbor that said we were mis treating our animals..As if... I would go without food and power before my animals did without.

Turns out my neighbor didnt like the horses standing at the fence next to her property because "they stink"...PPPLLLEEAASSSEEE.

On the other hand , if I were you I would be watchful. It is the holiday season when alot of theives get sticky fingers, this might just be a way of scoping things out.

Kind of scary what some people will do these days. Here in our town there was a lady with one horse(she has at least a 2 acre lot) with a neighbor that didn't want any horses next door. Over the coarse of several months she made complaints to every office in towm and state that would listen. She called police first the horse had no shelter, which he did but he prefered to stay out like most horses. The police who have no authority to the owner she would have to put the horse in the barn to keep him warm. The next day the neighbor called police again, this time horse was locked in inhospitable barn with no fresh air or exercise. New police with less authority says that is cruel to keep horse locked up. Next set of calles were related to the horse has no green grass to eat ( it was winter). Next calls were the pasture is a giant manure dump (one horse). Next calls were stink and flies ruined her home and it's value.

After all the false calls to people with zero authority in the matter our town quitely decides no one can build a barn less than 50 feet from property line and has to be at least 100 feet if the area surrounding the barn is not green grass pasture. This means no dry lots or even round pens less than 100' from property lines. All because the 2 women had a fued apperently that had nothing to do with the horse to begin with.

A safe bet would be after talking with Warden to talk with police or sheriff just to let them know what has happened.

Good Luck

Mark

Latest posts

Back