The worst colic, I've ever seen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I've been around the block a few times since I've had horses since 1977. I've seen lots of colic, in my own and in others. Everything from gas, impaction, constapation, electolite imbalance, etc., but yesterday will go down in my history book. I had the vet out on Thurs. for a dental and to exam a few of my older ones. Really couldn't afford an exam on all of them, but since I was out of banimine I bought a tube, just one, as the vet is due to come back out next month for some more coggins and exams. I'm so glad I had that banimine. Went to feed yesterday morning and one of the mini mares, a Buckaroo Bandelaro daughter was down in her run in shed, I called her for breaskfast and she just lay there. Right away my heart sank I knew somthing was wrong. Went to barn, got a halter and my helper and brought her up to the barn. She passed some stool but it had a lot of fluid, ate a tiny amount of hay that I gave her,only a small handfull, I was afraid to give her grain or a full ration of hay. I went in the house after feeding, got some water, went back to check on her and she was down, but quiet. I went about my chores. It remained this way until around 2:30 I went to check on her and she was not only rolling, whe was thrashing about, banging her head, skinned her hip, the only time she stoppen thrashing was to look at her side. I paniced, called the vet, got the banimine, got her up gave her a dose, walked her, she would even go down while walking, I've never had that happen. Bless my vets, they were here in 30 minutes. Gut sounds were good but dimished, tubed her, no refulx, gave her electrolites by tube. walked more, she looked bloated. Vet said since her stool was lose could be a couple of things, bad gas, cramps sand colic. I did call this morning with an update as I took her out to graze for an hour and she is no longer in severe pain, but I need to watch her close, and to start the sand clear tonight, but with limited grain and hay. Wish me luck! This is a very valuable mare in more ways then one. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Have you taken stools from the top of a fresh pile, using a rubber glove to pic it up and pulling your hand out, essentially turning it inside out with the poo on the inside, then gently filling it with cool water to see if sand settles the fingers? I have had a one year old colt with sand colic act like he was dying. Would practically fall over while walking him, when he wasn't falling over in mid stride, he would stop and start violently kicking his belly. He would lay on the ground and brace his legs straight out like a mare in labour and his eyes looked like they were rolling back in his head.

Vet saw him, it was sand colic, gave him banamine, tubed him, hydrated him, put him on the generic musilex as per the vets advice , he was a different horse by that evening. There was never a repeat incident, he is doing great with his new owner and is probably 6 years old now.

I have experience more severe colic episodes with impactions that were much tougher to resolve, but visually that was one of the worst in regards to the horse's outward response to pain.

I have done that test in the past using an exam glove, but she wasn't passing any stool that was noticed yesterday, and today it is watery. What you discribe is just how she was acting, like a mare foaling, legs stretched out, head back, trying to roll and lay on her back. Vet said nothing to eat till tonight, then to start the sand clear. Thant you for the response as I too think this is what it is and you have ste my mind at ease a little.

Edited to add yesterday when she had a BM in the morning, there was only fluid, no formed balls. Since she is so small vet couldn't do a rectal, whe could only get two fingers inserted, but she did find one small formed ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think I can run that test using only the slushing manure that she is passing at this time, it would be good to know if it is indeed sand?

You could certainly try the sand test with what she is currently attempting to pass. Unfortunately, once the horse has become full of sand, and is at the point of passing watery stool, it is partly because the sand has settled into the pockets of the intestines and not allowing water to be reabsorbed out of the stool in the later stages of digestion. The sand test is usually a means to predict if your horse is at risk of sand colic and not a means to diagnose what type of colic the horse is suffering from. What kind of footing or ground surface is she kept on? If it is a sand paddock or there is sand in the run-in it is most likely due to sand impaction. I would ask your vet if he would recommend you feeding her a psyllium based product like sand-clear or sandaid to help expel the sand. In severe cases of full impaction leading a blockage, the psylium can cause more bloat and pain, so I would ask the vet first. The psyllium is a natural fiber that turns into a gel in the gut and helps expel some of the sand. It may be something to consider as a maintenance thing once her bout of colic passes. I have wash sand footing in all of my round pens to avoid the muddy mess left behind after rain, but I find that the horses kept on sand need a monthly maintenance of sand clear to avoid colic. I have a colt who is very sensitive to tummy upset, and if he starts to trap sand, he gets a bloated belly and runny diarrhea, so a dose of psyllium always clears him right up. Best of luck to you.

I can't gaurantee it will be as accurate since the sand would be pushed through with the manure, but I am sure it would not hurt to try since any fibrous sludgy matter should float and the granules would settle.

I believe, if I remember correctly, we thought it may have been associated with the hay when it happened here. The matter that settled did not look like the soil we have here. I ended up soaking the hay in a wheel barrow, to the point the hay was floating, and sure enough the setiment was identicle. I finished that batch of hay, but heavily soaked it all prior to feeding any, then switched hay guys. Seems that it was either cut too close to the ground and the sandy soil kicked up and adhered to the hay or the rakes that spin it out for drying were set too low and were kicking up the soil onto hay that may have been freshly cut . Either way, soaking/floating the hay did the trick and I never had to deal with it again after switching hay guys.

The good news is that she wants to graze. Lots of the time that's nature's remedy. That, and being able to walk about wi thout collapsing to roll is a good sign. . Don't really have much to offer because you never really know if you should get her stimulated by asking her to walk and trot around to get her to expell gas or poop or sometimes that can do more harm than good. I"ve even taken them for trailer rides to encourage poop. I know banamine masks the symptoms but sometimes they need it to get things relaxed. Its darn if you do and darn if you don't so I"m no help but best of luck for a speedy recovery.I'm pulling for you.

Thanks guys you have given me lots to try and to think about. She has been out in a half acre paddock for the last several months that has lots of trees. We really don't have alot of sand here in Southern Maryland, but it has rained alot, and so we have a lot of mud. Although were she was housed there are several places that are high and mud free, such as their feed area and the run in. As for the hay, you may have hit the nail on the head! We have always bought square bales, some grass and some alfalfa, well times are tough around here finacially and we have since been buying round bales the last two months. These bales are indoor kept after cutting and wrapped in plastic to help maintain nutrition. I hate them, but they are cheaper then the square bales alot harder to feed and measure as to amount. That might be the key, I think I'll go to the feed store and get some bagged chopped hay, plus start the sand clear as per my vet. PLeas keep the suggestions coming as I'm really worried, and thank you all so much, My LB family is a God send.

A client of mine swears by the old honey and cream remedy for sand impaction. I would certainly consult a vet first before trying it. Melt 150g of raw honey in a saucepan on low heat, stir in 300g of raw (or at least whole cream milk) when the honey is evenly mixed with the milk, Drench the horse via oral syringe or stomach tube. I have never tried it, but my client says her grand father swears by it. good luck.

* Just read your update. Please tell me the round bales you feed are baled dry and not wet wrapped. I know a lot of horse people shun feeding round bales to horses, claiming they're only for cattle. But that is not necessarily true. Round bales can be baled at just as high a quality as square as long as the farmer knows what he is doing. When you say plastic wrapped it makes me nervous, only because most round bales are wrapped in plastic if wet, at about 35% moisture so as to ferment and create haylegde, for cattle. Dry round bales are baled with a net to allow for a bit of aeration, and if kept out of the elements, are safe for horses. It only worries me because wet bales carry the risk of botulism and carry a lot of sediment, especially second cutting, as the hay is closer to the ground when mowed. Which means that your mare could be at risk of other ailments, especially because hay will mold or spoil if not kept in the right conditions (I know that you obviously know that
default_smile.png
) but if you keep your round bales (baled dry) in the barn away from elements and sunlight, they may actually keep better than if wrapped in plastic. The reason being, mostly all wrapped bales are wrapped wet, at like 35% moisture to facilitate the generation of heat to cook it, hence the plastic to preserve nutrition. However, dry bales wrapped after baling, may actually condensate and mold, thus decreasing nutrition and creating other problems. Dry baled hay only loses nutrition is severely sun bleached or rained on and dried, or over three years old. I would call the vet right away if she does not improve soon after the psyllium, only because botulism is deadly if not caught soon after onset. good luck

Terry if it is a sand problem your vet may have to tube her with Metamucil or a similar product.LOTS of experience with sand colic here since I am only 5 miles from the bay and this land was probably all under water many million years ago.I use a product called Equus which is psyllium pellets and licorice flavored.My horse will eat is by the handful.I order 200 lbs at a time since most of mine get it daily.I also make sure they drink enough-some of my slow drinkers get senior feed dumped in water with electrolyte powder added 2 times daily.Sounds like sand since the sand lays in the bottom of intestines and nothing is absorbed as it should be.My vet has also tubed with epsom salts to break up impactions.I also feed no grain or hay on the ground.Hay bags and feeders only.Good luck and keep us posted.

Well an update, so far so good, started the sand clear this evening, but only gave her half of her grain that she usually gets, and only a small amount a hay, as per the vet instructions. As for the hay quality, the person we are buying the hay from is a big time quarter horse breeder and he feeds this to his horses, so I'm assumming it is safe for my minis, even though I hate feeding it. Also I'm going to the feed store and getting her some bagged hay until I get this problem resolved. As I do think this hay is very course and maybe she is not chewing up as well as she should, so some hand grazing is in order.

Dear BEv thank you, my friend, I will keep you all posted, and she is now on sand clear, and about the metamucel, do you give it once a month or what? I do sand clear twice a year, but after this, I'm not sure it is enough.

I use a generic physllium that I get at the Purina feed store, and use it for a week every month. Never had one go down, but I've done this even with my big horses, because my pasture (if you can call them that) are nothing but "dry lot sand".

Praying all turns out well. And feeding the phyllium generic granules with their grain -- they don't even notice them, and I have peace of mind.

Well my big guys are on pasture, and never had a problem and this year with all the rain, the pasture is beautiful. So you are saying once a month with metimucul or generic. I'll need to try that, as I'm sure I'm doing somthing wrong just doing the sand clear twice a year on those that are on dry lots. This is the worst I've ever seen. Although I must say she is improving. I started the sand clear tonight and limited feed and so far so good.

I hope she is getting straightened out for you Terry

sand clear monthly here as we have very sandy soil although

I don't worry so much in the summer especially this year as the grass is thick from so much rain. We have had colics years ago where we

have walked a horse for an hour or so but luckily used our golf cart so as not to exhaust our old selves

since the monthly sand clear all is good

She sounds like she is acting just like a mare I once owned that coliced that same, severe way. It turned out to be due to an egg ripening, but did not release. This caused her soooo much pain! The vet rectally palpated the egg until it released, and it was INSTANT relief, like someone hit the "off" switch!! Good Luck with your mare.

I have some good news to report this morning, she has some formed manure! Yeah! It is raining here again, so I'll get her out to graze this afternoon when It stops. Yes I will now put everyone on sand clear once a month, I don't want to go through this scare again. Thanks for all the advice and well wishes.

We have no sand here in this area of Arizona, but horses still get 'sanded'. It's a general term for too much dirt in the gut- doesnt necessarily mean it's 'sand'. I have only had personal experience with one horse that had 'sand colic' and yes, it can be bad. I've known of many others though owned by others, and it always seems very painful. The vet can usually tell by listening if it's sand colic their gut sounds different, so I am surprised your vet didnt mention that or listen for that.

Hopefully your girl can get past this painful episode and then the sand clear will help. My vet recommends keeping them on it for much longer than a regular dose if they are that full of dirt.

Terry because my soil is sooo sandy most of my horses get a small scoop of psyllium daily.I have found that when it rains I give more since Minis graze very closely(cut the grass shorter than big horses)and when it is wet from rain they pull up roots with the grass and eat it dirt and all.Knock on wood, no sand problems here for over 1 year.Metamucil works best if feed dry since it swells when wet (acts like gummy bears)and attracts the sand.I've tried many brands but Equus works best for me.I worry about feeding dry Metamucil and having it get stuck in throat,but many people on here use it and it works for them.My feeling ,if something works for you keep on doing it.what works for 1 may not work for another.glad you are making progress.Green grass is so good for lots of digestive issues.When Karl mows around the barn I always have him leave me a spot in case I have to hand graze anybody.Keep us posted on her progress.

That "throwing themselves down" is so hard to watch. Ugh, I still remember how awful that was when our girl did it.

Praying your girl recovers completely and quickly.

Latest posts

Back