The Walking Dead Graphic Novels....aka comics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
I know there are alot of fans of the show on the forum. I was curious if any of you have read the graphic novels (comics)?

I am NOT a comic person, but I love the show so thought I'd give the graphic novels a shot because I hear they are much different than the show.

I got Compendium I and II along with volumes 17 and 18. These books take you from the beginning (2003) to Feb or March of 2013...108 total issues (released once a month). Compendium I and II are both about 1100 pages with volumes 17 and 18 are maybe 100 pages each.

I don't want to give much away in case there were others wanting to read them. But I will say, it is different than the series, alot different....there is alot of cussing in them as well, which kind of shocked me, but I guess these are suppose to be young adult comics and not kid comics. Also, they are in black and white which surprised me as well. I thought maybe the original comics were color but after googling found out they were black and white also....only covers are color. The books were fairly inexpensive, the Compendiums only $30 a piece and the volumes $10 on amazon...so I was able to get everything for under $100. The books are pretty high quality too, nice thick glossy paper and weigh a ton!

Anyhow was just curious if anyone else had read them or planned to in the future? At this point, I can't really give a recommendation since I'm not very far into them, but I'll keep you posted. It is very fast reading with the pictures...lol.

I have not, but I am interested to. H has read the first of the two compilations and loves them, but I don't ever want him to tell me a lot about them because I'm worried it could ruin the show. Now that we have to wait until OCTOBER for another fix, I may take up those "comics", too
default_biggrin.png
Just at a glance, I think they look pretty neat and each are about the size of a big phone book. (maybe even 3" thick of thin paper!).

They are huge Jill, and heavy aren't they? I'm about 1/4 way through the first. I am worried too I will get the comics and show confused....just means before season 4, I will have to go watch everything again. Lol

Wait a minute! Can I order them for my nook, and are they any cheaper? Can't really afford $100. But sounds so good.

My brother has them and is constantly saying 'that didn't happen in the books' when we watch the show. I don't know if I would enjoy reading a picture book, so haven't attempted them yet. Lol

I'm not sure if they are available for nook or kindle....I was glancing through them and I can see what Jill means...if you were to read them up to date, you'd be way ahead of the tv series....and although there are alot of differences, there are many similarities between the book and show. I think the first Compendium takes you to about where season 3 ended, so I might stop there and not read any further for a while. The first book was $27 on amazon....might be able to find a used one Teri on Amazon. I don't know how the comic pics would look on a digital device. It is kinda neat to read the comics after watching the show....disappointed though, no Daryl Dixon in the graphic novels, at least not yet. The characters are arriving at different times in the book compared to the show, some are missing and some are new characters.

I didn't think I would like it either Sara....but I THINK I do...lol. If I wasn't a fan of the show I would not be reading them.

Also, they sure did make Lori ugly in the comics....haha!

edited to add: it is amazing how much the characters in the book do resemble the actors, they did a real good job of choosing the actors (or making the actors look like the book)

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished book one, I did like it even being a comic. It was a lot different than the shows...there were some of the same characters and some new ones. The characters that are also in the show differ from the book quite a bit. I won't get into details in case someone wants to read them. The comics are more action packed, but it's hard to connect to the characters. I suppose that's because it's a comic, there is only so many words they can put in there with all the pictures taking up most of the room. One funny thing is in the show they never refer to the dead as "zombies" but in the comic that is all they call them. I doubt I will ever read another comic series, I only wanted to read these since I'm such a fan of the show. I have part two sitting on my bookshelf but will probably wait a bit to read it, the books weigh a ton and I need to give my arms a rest...lol. If you love the Walking Dead show, I think you would like the books...if you like comics, I think you would love the books.

Wanted to add....the books are very explicit, there is profanity and sexual references/activity.

Oh how I wish I could read them! I don't see myself ever affording to buy them, but maybe some year in the future.......

I'm a comic fan, a huge zombie fan and a huge fan of the show!
default_wub.png

You would love it then REO....book 1 was only $37 I think on Amazon. I could ship it to you but would want it back...shipping might be expensive though because it's heavy, over 1000 pages and the paper is thick. Pm me and let me know if you want to and we can look up shipping charges.

Back