The surprise my roomates brought home from Kentucky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfmini

Reaction score
Yep, like Judy said, blond hair. He was a stray at a Kentucky gas station for three weeks. We are going to see if he is chipped, he is fully obedience trained, nice and young, maybe a year old. Someone lost a heck of a nice dog!

Winchester.jpg

He looks like a VERY nice dog. You sure would think if he was a stray for 3 weeks someone would of claimed him. I would of been out searching high and low for him,day and night. He was obviously well cared for, plus they took the time to train him. I really like those kind of surprises. CONGRATS on a really nice dog. (if you dont have any luck on finding the owners thru microchipping)

Wondering if he could have jumped out of someone's car passing through town? Man, that is one nice dog to be a throw away. I'll bet someone is missing him and if you don't find the owner, their loss is your gain.

Judy's socks are way cool
default_wub.png

He is beautiful
default_wub.png
, i have always wanted a G.R. and he is just :love

Eitherway he is going to have a great home, one lucky boy
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Unfortunatly the way things are down here in KY he was probably dumped/abandoned. Although i must say him being fully obedience trained would make me wonder...but attitudes about animals down here STINK. you wouldn't believe all the strays that are dumped around here
default_sad.png
I have one here that showed up and I haven't been able to find him a home. Really sweet pup.

Glad you like him and have a great dog!

He is pretty! If someone takes the time/money to train, why can't they put a collar on them with a name tag (unless he was dumped)...it's always beyond me. My dogs never go outside without their collars with a tag and on the tag says "REWARD" with three phone numbers...home, cell, and vet.

He was wearing a collar, no tags. We are going to have the vet scan him for a chip. We won't keep collars on our dogs so they are chipped. We crate them, and collars, especially with tags are dangerous. Plus, since Lily is a show dog (or supposed to be), a collar would damage the hair around the neck and tags stain. She also roughhouses a lot, another hazard where the dogs can get their jaws caught and broken in play. They do wear collars with tags when we travel though.

We also contacted the local humane society in that area who gave me the number for animal control, and they are also going to check with the local vets.

If we don't keep him, I have a blind friend who's guide dog is getting old, and he had been thinking for some time of getting another dog as a pet. This is his final guide dog as he has mobility issues now from diabetes complications. He did try a rescue dog once, but those people tried to place a freaky, untrained dog that would not come when called. Great for a blind person, don't you think? This dog could be ideal.....

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks like a really nice dog Jodi!

What Hillary said about animals being dumped / people's attitudes about their animals there Kentucky, applies here in Tennessee too. Just ticks me off to no end the amount of dogs that get dumped down our road. Those animals become nothing more than coyote food. The shelter is not 10 miles away but I guess people here are just to lazy to go that far to give their animal a chance at a good home / life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about your side of Tennessee but on the west side most of the animal shelters are full and they will not take any more!!
default_new_shocked.gif
so the only option is animal control and they tell you the animal will be put down in 48 hours!! We also have had several dogs dumped by us!! It is a very sad situation, it is no wonder why the coyotes are so healthy and fat around here!! We hear the pack every night and you can always tell when they have found another dumped dog
default_no.gif

It makes me so mad!!

Looks like you found a wonderful new companion!! Very Beautiful
default_yes.gif

The shelters are not full here in Middle TN to the point they aren't taking any animals in. And I'd rather have an animal put down humanly than ripped apart by coyotes any day.

I agree!! We have already saved 2 dogs since we have been here, and been asked about several others. We have 4 dogs already and can't afford to take anymore, as much as I want to!!

Boy all I ever find at gas stations are pennies!! I would have to think that he was traveling and perhaps jumped out of the window looking for his owners and just wandered off....maybe the owners didnt even realize he jumped out. What ever happened....guess well never know. Just happy that you took him in and what ever you decide to do with him will be better than living around a gas station looking for hand outs. Keep us posted...what are you calling him? Heidi

They named him Winchester, after the exit.....
default_rolleyes.gif

If we don't keep him, I have a blind friend who's guide dog is getting old, and he had been thinking for some time of getting another dog as a pet. This is his final guide dog as he has mobility issues now from diabetes complications. He did try a rescue dog once, but those people tried to place a freaky, untrained dog that would not come when called. Great for a blind person, don't you think? This dog could be ideal.....

Sounds like fate to me.......

Many people who find an animal will not take the time/hassle to haul the dog to a vet to see if there is a micro-chip, that is why it always a good idea to have a collar with a tag on a dog anytime they are outside. I agree collars in crates are a bad idea, I just take the collars off before putting them in a crate. It is easier to p/u a phone and call someone (if there is a tag) then to haul them to a vet.

And I would do that if I were the only one in the house, but I don't trust the other occupants to do the on off thing, she would end up with a collar on in the crate, plus we have the issue of messing up her coat for showing.

I can't even trust the others to open the bottoms of chip bags before they put them in the trash, a lesson hard learned with the death of one of the dogs. Dwarf dogs cannot pull the bags off their heads when they go crumb diving and they suffocate. I am now a freak about it, but even though it was their dog, I find chip bags in the trash all the time that are not torn open top and bottom.
default_no.gif
If they won't/can't do that, there is no way the collar thing would work.

Latest posts

Back