The Power of a Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

As many of you know since I've posted about it when Merlin first came to live with us all was not sunshine and roses. :arg! Things have improved greatly and we are to the point where handling him is a non-issue, but he's still pretty impressed with himself when the mares are around. Which is fine, he should be all impressed with himself!
default_laugh.png

So, we made him his own paddock with a run-in big enough for him and a couple of mares when the time is right. The shed is 6' tall and 10' x 18' with a door that can be closed if necessary. Very neat actually. It was made by our hay man for his calves. Any who...I was going to lease Merlin out this year since I didn't think I'd be using him. Then I got a couple of outside breedings booked with him so he's obviously staying around this year. So I decided to pick one of my mares for him and I selected Seahorse Gold Melody Prize, my 7 year old Mickey Mouse daughter.

Well, to get to the point, today I noticed Prize seemed "ready" so I walked her up to Merlin's pasture and let them talk through the fence. O M G!
default_new_shocked.gif
Let's just say Merlin was back to his old self. I was thinking "oh no! Here we go again!" But I know he's pasture bred all his mares in the past and that's what he's used to so I decided to put Prize in with him. This is the honest truth folks! It was less than 60 seconds and anyone who didn't know better would have thought he was a gelding!
default_new_shocked.gif
She gave him that "don't you dare try that rough crap with me" look and one swift kick and he was all "yes ma'am. no ma'am."
default_laugh.png
Now they are happily living together and yes, she lets him breed, but only when she says it's OK.

What a mare!
default_wub.png

Sounds like a girl after my heart.
default_wink.png

Seriously though isn't it fortunate that she was the first you put him with at his new home. Hopefully he'll remember the new rules at the new house.

Gotta love mares like that!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Think our Merlin son has a bit of his daddy's attitude
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Yes! "Blessed are the experienced broodmares!" LOL We just sold our older stallion, and our younger stallion has never 'pasture bred' any mares. So I've started letting him go out during the day with our oldest broodmare........who is in foal. She kept him lined out and wouldn't even let him get a drink of water for a few hours. It's wonderful training for him!

I'm glad to hear that Merlin will have his 'own mares' this year!

Pam C.

I think it's much better for a mare to teach a stallion manners than a human.
default_smile.png
Sounds like Merlin is a great listener. He'll be happier with company.
default_smile.png

Jazz has been with the mares until last week. As soon as they dance with the wind under their tails, Jazz thinks it's time to play, but he's rougher. He'll jump on them, but once he does--Gypsy sticks to him like Velcro for hours. He turns, she turns, he backs, she backs... she's darn good at letting him know what's acceptable. But--he's beside them now because I feel the girls are too far along to have to deal with a rowdy boy even for five minutes a day.

It's been awesome to sit here and watch them today. I can see them out the breakfast room window. She has got him eating out of her hoof!
default_laugh.png
SHE decides when he gets to have hay, SHE decides when he can sniff her. He's like an old married man!
default_new_rofl.gif

This is the first time he's had company in his own space since coming to our farm. I can see an immediate change in him. He still will prance and snort when another mare comes up to the fence, but he's being so nice to Prize - all nibbling on her and giving her kisses.
default_blush.png
It's so cute.
default_wub.png
I had NO idea he was such a romantic!!

Prize will be the only mare he physically has in his pasture this year. The two outside mares have both chosen AI so he'll never get to see them. Too bad for him, but he'll be so much happier now that he has Prize to keep him company.

I think it's much better for a mare to teach a stallion manners than a humanWe just bought our stallion last fall. With this being our first time owning a stallion I asked the previous owner what was a good way to teach him manners. He has only bred 1 mare and we will be showing him this year.

Her response was to turn him out with an experienced brood mare. They will teach him more manners than any human can possibly teach him. So we will be doing that when the time comes. Very interesting, and sounds like a great way to do it.

So glad to hear that Merlin is minding his manners. Yes, there is nothing like a good experienced broodmare to set these boys in their place.
default_wink.png
Can't wait to see his resulting foals.

That lady knows how to keep her man in his place!! Good girl Prize! Good Boy Merlin for minding your manners!

way to go prize you tell that stallion whose boss. makes me happy that a mare will show a stallion whose boss it would be a major shame if the girl didnt get a say in it.

I am not sure why everone is at all surprized at the mare telling the stallion how things are going to be. You ladies have been telling us guys how to do things for years. LOL
default_wub.png

[SIZE=12pt]I didn't realize that you owned one of "Misty's" daughters. I'll have to keep an eye out for what she produces with "Merlin" in 2010. Sounds like he's a happy camper now that he has a woman who knows what she likes and dislikes. Ha! [/SIZE]

I am not sure why everone is at all surprized at the mare telling the stallion how things are going to be. You ladies have been telling us guys how to do things for years. LOL
default_wub.png
John,

default_new_rofl.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I didn't realize that you owned one of "Misty's" daughters. I'll have to keep an eye out for what she produces with "Merlin" in 2010. Sounds like he's a happy camper now that he has a woman who knows what she likes and dislikes. Ha! [/SIZE]
Kimberle, Yes I have one of Misty's daughters. I'd love to have Misty!
default_wink.png
But I'll settle for my Prize.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back