The party's over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crponies

Reaction score
My gelding party got underway at 8:00 this morning. My two yearling colts have not come around very well for some reason and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to catch one or both of them. Well, I went into the pen and Pewter let me walk right up to him and was pretty easy to halter, so he was first. Next was Blue; he was hard to catch. I tried putting in some new hay and being sneaky using another pony between us; no luck. I ended up using some grain and was able to get a loop of rope over his head and then haltered eventually. My 9 year old stallion, Shooter, was last, and he was good about being caught like usual. The hardest part with all of them was the initial injection. They just did not like that at all. Blue and Shooter both had to be snubbed up to a tree and it was still hard. The vet had a hard time finding the vein on the yearlings with their winter woolies and all. However, they were all put out eventually and the procedures seemed to go smoothly. Blue scared me a few times because it would look like he had stopped breathing but he's fine. One interesting thing that this vet did was to show me each testicle as he got it off. He would hold it up and say, "Testicle, squealer." The squealer is this part right above the testicle that will produce a proud-cut horse if left in. I went and checked on them a bit ago and their is some swelling of course but nothing too bad. I think my mature stallion may be the one who bled the least. I'm so glad to have it done with and can't wait for them to be healed up and non-hormoned.
default_yes.gif
: Hurrah for no more intact male animals for me (unless you count the rabbit fryers).

Your little guys should be fine in a day or two. Just keep them moving so they drain.

Had mine done a few months ago and you couldn't even tell he had anything done to him, he never missed a beat. Ate and ran and still caused heck just like he use to. I do like him much better now that he is a gelding.
default_yes.gif
:

I am glad the Party" went off without a hitch!
default_yes.gif
: They should be fine in a few days.

We are having a yearling colt gelded in the next week or two. I am sure he wont be happy, but I will :bgrin He will be broke to drive next year and just be a babysitter and companion for my two year stallion as long as my two year stallion is nice to him and besides we are very attached to him and he absolutely loves all the foals and it drives him insane that he can only visit through the fence. :lol: In the long run my colt will so much happier> :bgrin

Good for you and good for your boys! They will be much happier before long, I am sure, and easier to enjoy for you. I've never regretted having it done. Geldings are wonderful for so many reasons!!!

Latest posts

Back