The only dumb question is the one you don't ask...(ok to feed bananas?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyfern

Reaction score
Right? LOL We eat an extraordinary amount of fruit around here. Son just asked me if Willow can eat a banana. I directed him to the turkeys instead because I don't really know if a horse would eat a banana or not or if it might give him a tummy ache. I know he'll eat an apple with great relish. but a banana? Opinions?

Bananas are ok! Just like any treat, limit their intake. Maybe 1/4 to1/2 of the banana as they are high in sugar. There have been studies done on what flavors horses like best, and banana is one of the top faves!

Mine like banana flavored treats. When it comes to an actual banana although they will take a bite - most don't like the texture and spit most of it out.

They LOVE dried pineapples though -- Luck & Love used to make these treats now I just buy actual dried pineapple.

I do have a strange cat -- a rescue as a kitten. The adoption group and vet said she was deaf as a kitten -- clearly not she hears everything including opening a banana from another room and comes screaming for a piece. Ironically she refuses / hates wet food and human food (good thing because she never begs) but will scream for a banana. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a mare who LOVEDDDD oranges of all things. Orange juice she would suck out of the tiniest cup lol, always limited it though, i was always a little worried about the acidity.

Bananas are a great idea! My mini doesn't like normal horse things, never had a horse who would turn down chocolate or french fries. He loves mint horse treats though.

Mine have a liking for avocado pears (came in the pig bin food!!) but they had to fight the dogs for them!!

my breakfast is a banana on my way to the barn---so the boys get the banana peels. they LOVE them. one banana peel gets divided for 6 horses.

Mine love chopped sweet potatoes!!! Sometimes I hide them in a pile of hay, they love it!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif

Since bananas aren't processed etc., It should be fine =) They like apples right? Banana's are fruit too =)

My minis love bananas fresh or dried. They love grapes too --frozen in the summer time.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

How can avacadoes be poisonous? We eat them all the time....do you mean they are not good for horses?

I'm going to try a banana too--although, my mom just used all of the bananas to make bread! XD

There was an article that came out in the Horse Journal several years ago about things to try for ulcer prevention. Bananas were one of the things to try! I've been feeding bananas as treats ever since. Most of the horses loved them from the beginning, some learned to. The "dosage" for a large horse was no more than 3-4 per day, so I just don't give more than a half to each per day. They are soothing to the lining of the digestive track. Also great because they are cheap. I buy them for us humans, then if they get over ripe they get fed to equines.

My big one won't touch a banana but my mini and cocker spaniel love it! Not surprising with my mini - came to me half served so whe will LITERALLY eat everything! My cocker could very well be on a fruit & vegetable diet, he loves apples, strawberries, peaches, green beans, carrots etc.

*starved not served

I learned something new today, horses like bananas! We used to have a shetland back in the 1980's that belonged to my youngest, we always had to lock him up when we had a cookout as he would steal all the kids hotdogs right out of their hands. He also would pick up beer bottles and drink it!

It seems to be, form that article, the leaves and shoots of the tree itself that gave all the problems- I shall certainly take care in future but have to say my Dobe ate the fruits alone (I took the skin off and retrieved the seed) of at least five, with relish, and no ill effects, same with the horses. Not going to happen again though, as we all know how quickly luck runs out!

It seems to be, form that article, the leaves and shoots of the tree itself that gave all the problems- I shall certainly take care in future but have to say my Dobe ate the fruits alone (I took the skin off and retrieved the seed) of at least five, with relish, and no ill effects, same with the horses. Not going to happen again though, as we all know how quickly luck runs out!
I know what you mean, when things are going good you never really thing about it, but then something bad happens and you're just so miserable! (Like last year when my mare was sick for three weeks and missed out at the most horse show times etc of the year!) It reminds me why God gives us trials, so we'll draw closer to Him =) (James 1:12)

Back