The Horse You Enjoy & Love the MOST?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Which is the horse you own that is the one you're the most attached to? I know it is hard to pick ONE, and I'm almost splitting hairs to name this one and not also name another one (who's actually a nephew to this guy).

But, which of your horses is your favorite? And why is that so? What have you done with that horse? What are your future plans for him or her?

Pictured below is my favorite horse, Bacardi a/k/a Smarty Bacardi. I bought him as a yearling and trained him for showing (but he loves it and seemed to already "know" how to show himself). I've shown him so far only lightly but to Grands and a Supreme (my first actually). Bacardi is now coming 4yo. And he will eventually be trained to drive -- all it takes is either me finding the time or finding someone I trust to treat him as well as we do.

His heart is why I love him so much. He doesn't always do what I want, but he always TRIES to do what he thinks I want him to do. When I am outside, he is always watching me and always looking like he wishes I was doing something with him, even if I'm doing something with another horse and it's an activity he doesn't really like (like lunging).

Bacardi is a son of Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too / "BTU" and that is a sire known for not just his beauty, but his heart and for putting a lot of that into his offspring. Based on what I see in Bacardi, and my BTU grandson, DunIT, I do think the rumor is the truth in that department
default_smile.png

Since I decided to geld him as a junior horse, Bacardi of course has no impact on my breeding program but it just is my geldings (and that DunIT) that would make up the top of my list when it comes to my "favorites". I'm not sure this love for geldings is extremely compatable with my limited space and time and aspirations to breed, but what can ya do?

[SIZE=14pt]Let's hear about and see your favorite (or couple-few "favorites" -- I know it's not easy to name only one)[/SIZE], as well as hearing WHY that one is so special in your life.

[SIZE=12pt]Little King’s BT Bacardi Gold[/SIZE]

2004 37.25” AMHR Golden Palomino Gelding – Son of Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too (“BTU”)

Supreme and Grand Halter Champion / First Place Solid Color / Future Driving Horse

BACARDI%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20136%20GELDINGS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my favourite is not a mini. It is my arabian mare, SPH Phancyphire. I raised her from the day she was born in June 1998. I have refused a lot of money for her. She is such a sweet girl. She is 9 now and I love riding her. In fall 2005 she was my only arabian. I sold or traded all the others to get more minis. Sameera, my husbands mare, is a close 2nd. I hand raised her on foal-lac.

Now for my favourite mini, well that would have to be Sanka, a close 2nd would be Jypsy, then it would be Kid.

Hands down...my beloved and lost Diminutives Treasure's Secret Gold.
th_debs.jpg

A gift from a beloved freind who saw her in this:
th_janestreasure.jpg

Since losing her my passion has left..I miss her still.

I know I should not play favorites... But Maggie is my heart. Have had her a long time, has helped me through two accidents and has such a kind loving heart, there is just something very special about her.

Anything she does or as ask of..she always does her best. When I am not feeling well... I can go out and sit in a chair near her.. and she will come lay her head in my lap and let me pet her. If I need help walking she lets me lean on her. Just really enjoy spending time with her.

me_maggie2aug05_f2k6_15dc.jpg

maggiepannier3small.jpg

maggietrotinginpinkprettysmaller.jpg

I have three forever horses. Fred [Rolling Ridge Rum Runner] is of course first and foremost. I bought Fred as a gawky yearling from the farm I worked for for $500 because the owner thought he would go over [but he never did and he is now 11]. He came in from a shipment of horses from ohio from a big farm. Wild, wormy, and not in great shape but VERY well bred. I did not show minis at that time so he was my first mini show horse and he taught me so much about showing. He taught me to smile and not be so serious about showing because if I got too serious he would do SOMETHING to fix that. Trust me with this horse he can come up with more tricks than you can possibly imagine [spinning in the cart is his favorite]. He earned back his purchase price the first year by going to fairs. He did so well that some people didn't like him winning so much in this area that they changed the rules [in the open shows] and got him barred from showing the following year. Didn't stop us though we found out about AMHR rated shows and loved it. Then the same said people tried to get ME barred as an amateur in AMHR because they couldn't beat us. I broke Fred to drive and took six months doing it. I really wanted to go to nationals but here I was a wife with three small kids and no way to truck the horse myself. I sold my big app to pay for nationals and I had a trainer take him to nationals for me. The hardest part was leaving him with the trainer for a couple of months to go. I felt like half my life was gone when I left him there. He was only supposed to go to nationals for halter [which he made top five], but was SO lazy that the trainer couldn't get him to move in the round pen so I told him to drive him as he was trained to drive. Next thing I know we are driving at nationals and he won the open class and the stakes! He has done this three times since and is still going strong. I am proud of the fact that Fred and I have done the hall of fame in halter totally on our own and driving too. He loves to drive and perform and I can't take that away from him. He is one of my best friends and I will do whatever it takes to make him happy. Guess that means I better find him some willing women this spring.

Its hard to play favorites however everyone has one. Mine is my mare Gingerbreads Blue Mischief. She is a Blue Boy granddaughter and just the SWEETEST little mare. She is incredibly beautiful and she produces the most beautiful foals. She's an older mare and her hips are hurting her so she gets monthly adequan injections to help her. She is in foal this year for April and this will be her last foal. This is one mare I will never part with.

She likes to hang out with me while I'm scrubbing water buckets at night and get her belly rubbed. I just treasure her!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/cef/100_2378.jpg.

This is her with last years filly CN Debonairs Wild Blue Rose. It doesn't show up too well in my avatar.

My buddy is not one of my minis (which anyone who knows me knows that I couldn't possibly choose between those two, they are my "babies"). Anyway, he is my Morgan gelding, Fudge. I got him when I was eight with a crushed knee. I could ride him yet but I could spend as much time as I wanted in the pasture with him. He took care of me, and when I started riding he showed me how to ride, not just take a ride. His favorite thing to do was follow my dad around while I was on him, much to my disdain. When we went to riding lesson we would gallop around the ring, and when people were watching he would puff up and do his little park morgan routine...He is the most cantankerous horse, he has gotten out twice, disassembled the barn, locked my dad in the feed room, and taken gates off the hinges. He gave me the passion I have to ride and drive. He is thirty now, has cushings, but still gallops with his tail flagged in the pasture just to show he still has it.

250635312_l.jpg

Courtney

My favorite is my first mini, Eli. He will be 3 in March, he's smart and when I try something different with him he acts like it's nothing new. When I go out to the barn and stand by his fence he comes running to me and will hang out until I move on. He will follow me anywhere. Sometime down the road i'd like to teach him to drive.

Leslie

I have a pet one who is 16 months. He is spoiled and I love him. He has been so much fun! He was my first horse ever. I am not young, but young at heart!

I just purchased a 2nd named, Lily. Both are from L&K miniatures. She is a beauty and my first horse loves her and they are best buddies. He helped wean her!

My joy of these animals have been so enhanced, from Lyn being my mentor. I am so thankful for she and her family! She is so knowledgable and willing to share. They offer me their place openly and with such a willingness to share. So I am not only thankful for my "not show horse", and my new little show horse, but to Lyn.

I go out almost daily, and so look forward to going! So excited over getting Lily!

lildrummer

I love this
default_wub.png
It's neat that already with some of you who've posted, when I think of you, I also think of your special one -- like a package deal
default_yes.gif

I would have to say my yearling stallion Buckeye WCF Classical Phoenix is my favorite because of a special bond that we have.

Two years ago I had a yearling stallion Counts Country acres mommas Boy " Cash " that I had shown and done fairly well with ,during the off season in the winter he had a tragic accident and broke his front canter bone, we decided to have him put down and not have him suffer.I decided not to show anymore and was also going to sell out completely after going through that emotional time.

Later that next spring I came to my senses and decided to look for another stallion to become a herd sire,we visited Les and Getitia Matheny of Buckeye Walnut Creek Farm and spent the day deciding which colt to take home,after deciding we agreed on this cute little Bay pinto colt.after the colt was weaned and delivered to us I decided to get back into the showring so I spent last year working with the colt and conditioning him to show him this year as a yearling stallion.

Phoenix has done very well in the showring this year winning several firsts, reserve grands and even a Grand but his best accomplishment is when we went to Tulsa to the nationals this year for my first time and was fortunate enough to win a National Championship as a yearling stallion,

Phoenix and I have a special bond since he was a weanling and have spent alot of time training and working together. his name also has sentimental meaning Phoenix was a mythical bird that rose from the ashes,since we had to put our other stallion down we thought it was very fitting to name our new stallion Phoenix as a rememberance to Cash.

Pictures of Phoenix and Cash can be seen on web sight www.hiteslittlewonders.piczo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I love them all but this old girl is definately the love of my life. She's almost 21 and is the sweetest mare I've ever had the privelege to know. When I got her she was in pretty bad shape but I got her healthy again. She can do it all from barrel racing to reining and I love her more than I can tell you.

firstwk-1.jpg

copperpudge.jpg

I have two favorites.

Billy Ray

It took me 6 yrs to get this boy and he is everything I thought he'd be.

th_BillyRay006.jpg

Cinco who was a lot of work, but worth every minute.
default_wub.png

th_Nationals.jpg

It has to be Rabbit
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

1402263_43.jpg

He is coming 29 now, I know he is not immortal, even though he acts as if he is!!

He has three foals due in 2008 and has no plans to retire.

I was there when he was born, so small and wet with daft ears that he got labelled the "Rabbit" straight away and forever- I shall be there when he dies and, of all the horses I have ever owned, he is the only one who I shall not allow the meat man to take- any other horse, once it is dead, has just been meat to me.

Rabbit is a friend.

He is different. (Even if it is hard to remember this when I am trying to catch him in five acres when the electric fence has failed and it is POURING with rain!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

I can not just pick one! Each one is just too special.

Here is a poem that probably says a lot of how some of us feel about our horses. Mary

When I Am Old"

I will wear soft gray sweatshirts

And a bandana over my silver hair

And I will spend my social security checks on wine and my Horses

I will sit on my porch in my well-worn chair

And watch my horses graze.

I will sneak out in the middle of a warm summer night

And go for a horseback ride, if my old bones will allow

When people come to call, I will smile and nod

As I show them my horses

And talk of them and about them

The ones so beloved of the past

And the ones so beloved of today

I will still work hard cleaning up after them

Feeding them and whispering their names

In a soft loving way

I will wear the gleaming sweat on my brow

Like a jewel, and I will be an embarrassment to all Especially my

family

Who have not yet found the peace in being free

To have your horses as your best friends

These friends who always wait, at any hour, for your call

And eagerly run to the fence when they hear your car

To greet you as if you were God

With warm eyes full of adoring love and hope

That you will always stay

I'll hug their big strong necks

I'll kiss their dear sweet noses

And they'll love me in their special way

I look in the mirror and see I am getting old

This is the kind of person I am

And have always been

Loving horses is easy; they are a part of me

They accept me for who I am

My horses appreciate my presence in their lives

They love my presence in their lives

When I am old this will be important to me

You will understand when you are old

If you have horses to love too

Well, my favorite and most loved is not one of my minis, but Cheddar, my half-Arabian gelding. He was my first horse; I've had him since he was coming 3 and he'll be 25 in the spring. He's still going strong and looks pretty darn good; I don't ride that much these days, so he's semi-retired and lovin' the life of leisure.

Cheddar (April 2007 - just coming out of winter)

Cheddar-April222007-standing.jpg

The breeder sent me baby pictures a couple years ago, she had just found them after moving.

cheddarbaby.jpg

I just love my one and only, BG. He's such a sweetheart.
default_wub.png

...but part of my heart still belongs to Lisa's Casper. He'd of never left me if there had been a way for him to stay.

I have several favorites.
default_smile.png
This one is a very sentimental favorite of mine, "Magic Mist Remember Me". Her name is to honor her sire, who died tragically just two days after she was born. He was an incredible stallion that I owned in partnership, we waited to breed him so he could be shown, and though I had two mares bred to him, one lost her foal in a late-term abortion and we almost lost the mare too. So all I have of him is this one filly, I just love her. Daughter of "NJ's Almost A Spot" and "Wild Winds Frost Fire", I call her "Remmy", and each time I look at her, I see her sire who I loved so very much. Here she is at one day old:

m_remmy_11.jpg

That is such a tough question, and my answer requires some caveats. Without question, my "heart horse" is Alladdin. If Alladdin hadn't come into my life, I bet I wouldn't have done what I've done with the minis. I love him unconditionally and he will never, EVER leave me. But the one that is my favorite is not my big show winner, not my stallions, not my "prettiest" but the one I can go anywhere and do anything with, Ally. I trained her to drive myself, and as such feel such an accomplishment in that regard. We have competed at CDEs and in breed shows. I can show her in halter obstacle, hunter, and driving and she always gives her best. She is so smart, and she is very sweet. Never demanding. I have so much pure out and out fun with this horse! Before I bought her she already had earned her HOF in halter. I now have an ambition to get her an HOF in driving, and take her up to intermediate level in combined driving. This horse is all about high performance, and gives me her all, every time.

Her photo gallery:

http://www.finchmeadowfarm.com/galleries/A...lery/index.html

Her beautiful self:

lincolncreek07marathon3.jpg

Everyone should be so lucky as to own a horse like her.

Latest posts

Back