The Horse You Enjoy & Love the MOST?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
allhorses.jpg

Well, since we moved here three years ago I have been through many horses..through trial and error.

I bought Dally as a wild mare in foal. She had 30 days of basic handling when I got her. She was still better tempered than Sable. I had to teach her how to pick up hooves, but everything else she was good on. She just liked to bite.

In May of 2006, Dally presented with Mokey. Mokey was a fantastic filly while I had her. I reluctantly sold her and Dally to buy Bryn, a 13.2hh welsh cross pony. Bryn was sold to me as unknown if broke. We put her in the barn and her head touched the ceiling. I had to sell her because I didn't have the room for her. She is now up the road winning ribbons in hunter/jumper classes (turned out she WAS broke)

So I bought Sable. She was a spoiled, kicking, rearing, biting maniac. Did not do anything. Now does everything. Complete favorite horse of them all.

Got a call that Mokey was for sale again. I had a contract stating she comes back to me if sold. Came back to me a fence jumping, rearing, spooking spazz. All my training had been undone. Mokey went back to previous owner. Now she is a little girl's pony.

Bought Nico. Completely insane, unmanageable (but sold to me as friendly and sweet) stallion with no manners at all. Previous owner thought it was cute to teach him to run to the barn on a lead. Undid all the training his breeder so thoughtfully put into him. In turn he almost killed Sable. Gave him away in May of this year.

So, all that being said, Sable is my favorite and will never leave here. She is the most well behaved horse I ever had (with the exception of Bryn who was very polite, just too big). I am more bonded to Sable than any of the others. She has also been here the longest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...it is very hard to decide! I love these three for different reasons:

Spring-16 years young, she is my sweet beloved broodmare, and one look into her deep liquid brown eyes and I melt! She can talk me out of a pocketful of treats intended for the whole herd, in about 5 minutes! She knows she is special too.

Sprg.hd.gl.wb.7-04.jpg

Canyon- 6 years old now, my first Mini. I raised her from a wild 3 month old who could be caught to an easy going "pocket pet". I have trained her to do some tricks, and she is the one I use to give riding lessons to my friends children. She always comes when I call, and loves to learn things. She is also green broke to drive, we are working on that next year!

Canyon.trot.1-21-06.jpg

Chips- it almost ripped my heart out to geld him and give him into co-ownership with a family this summer. But hearing the stories, and seeing him with "his boy" the 5 year old son he adores cements the fact that I made the right choice for him. He speaks English, I swear he understands what you say and more. He is a gentleman, and was my first stallion. He loves to pose for the camera too, so I have tons of gorgeous photos of him!

Chips.hd.06.sm.jpg

Carnival the new leopard colt I bought to raise to replace Chips has some big shoes to fill, but he is already worming his way into place.
default_wub.png

Hands down it would have to be my Boy Excalibur !! He came to me to trained , shown and then sold in Aug '05 as a yearling with little handling....I became a member of our local Miniature horse club and two week later showed him in Halter , Color and Halter Obstacle where he cames out with first and second places, following year showed him again at the club show and he repeated his wins. When the time came for him to return home we had just won his final Blue with me and as I walked him to the trailer I cried siently for having to loose such a dear friend knowing I could Never afford to buy him.. But to my surprise I was told " Enjoy him Jenn he's all yours " I about died that day for I knew I was really in Heaven....

Well my boy is now coming 4 and I couldnt ask for a more loving , dear and trusting friend as I have in Excalibur..Old timers often say you only get one horse in your life that you really connect with and I know Excalibur is that and More.. He is to me my savior , friend , partner , and most of all my Soulmate..We know when each other is sad or happy and adjust ourselves to it.. Few can deal with Excalibur for he is really spoiled rotten but I trust him 100 % with my children and the folks at the nuring home and the kids school , he just goes with the flow..

He may never see the ring at a rated show and thats fine with me , I love him for who he is in my heart and care not what others say for to me he is the best , we hope to do some driving this year and add that chapter to his book but if it doesnt happen hey thats fine with me , for i trained all myself and I know what he can do so if he never steps into another ring at least I'll have him always by my side and forever in my heart...

I give to you Canterbury Excalibur , My super Ex !! Thanks Nancy & Don Ritchey for My Dream come true.

100_1511.jpg

I want to play, but I'm afraid it I say it out loud

they'll know --- and then I'd feel bad.
default_rolleyes.gif
Nah... They can't read
default_wink.png

But, I do know what you mean. I can honestly say with the 19 or so horses I have right now, they are ALL my favorite at certain times. I love them all so much
default_wub.png

Ok, if you're sure they can't read and you won't let my secret

leak, this is my Zena, our first home born..... I will never get

over that first peek of her, with the kissy spot on her forehead.

She's always been spunky and a bit sassy and has taught her

younger sisters to be the same....

This photo of her is with her 'Big' brother, she is stealing food

out of his mouth and he lets her.....he adores her and they

can always be found side by side.... He watched her be born

and they just have this affinity for each other that is very

endearing considering their size difference.

Her sisters are pretty darn sweet but she holds the #1 spot....

although her Daddy is a contender and the sisters try and gain

her spot in my affections... somedays they win.

ZenaGraffix8-15-04.jpg

Zena, on the left and her one year younger sister, Zuni, taken this fall.

thesisters2.jpg

my mare tippy toes is the most loved at my house

she was my first mini and will always be my favorite

she is an incredible mare- versatile and willing

she will go from dead quiet giving cart and pony rides at birthday parties

to an elegant country pleasure horse to a daring roadster horse to a blazingly fast chariot horse

she showed herself as amazingly well trained at nationals when my chariot broke

coming off a handgallop a weld popped dropping the nose into the ground

i lost my balance and reins yet when i yelled whoa she stopped instantly

keelydrivetippyleft.jpg

This sucks! It's like picking your favourite child!

Ok, well, most you of know that Bailey was my 1st mini and he made me fall in love with horses all over again.
default_wub.png
He was 4 months old when I got him home and had to teach him so much. He was young and silly. We have had so much fun but he began to develop a personality crisis. He was alone and wasn't sure if he was a horse, dog or human. He would roll over so I could scratch his tummy like a dog, shake hands like a dog and beg like a dog! ~ oh Bailey ~ :DOH!

His breeders are so pleased with the way he is maturing. They want me to show him! I'm very proud of him. They think he is too 'pretty' to be a boy.
default_wub.png
Bailey holds a magical place in my heart.

So, next, enter Willow. Bailey's half sister, same sire.

She was VERY shy when she arrived but we have worked hard on forming a bond and now she is all over me. I have far more confidence with baby Willow having gone through lots with Bailey. She is ULTRA smart and learns very quickly.

Now, if either of my horses had natures like Willow's Mum, I would be worried. She is not friendly and does not like human interaction. A very hard horse to get to love. I'm just so glad Willow has not followed in her Mum's footsteps.

I can't pick one. I love both of my babies, beyond love.
default_wub.png

Its a hard question...for sure....but I have to admit that Twister has my heart.....
default_yes.gif

twistshow.jpg

Here he is as a yearling...with hubby showing him. For some reason he caught my eye when I was browsing Little Valleys website (they no longer have mini`s) and it was true LOVE. He is a gelding now, since October of this year and I am looking forward to taking him LOTS of places this coming summer.

If EVER I thought of bringing one into the house it would be him!!! (all 28" of him)
default_wub.png

This is an easy one for me!

It's **~ TUMBLE ~**
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

tumblepermanent.jpg

royaldriving2.jpg

tumbleppickme.jpg

Oh how I love that little horse!
default_wub.png

100% My Wee Man. . . As much as I flipping LOVE Zorro Wee Man is just THAT horse that you never sell no matter the look or style of the horse. Though I've some how molded him into a show horse LOL. Takes alot of horsey makeup and razoring and fitting up but its sucha payoff.

He was such a silly colt. A 2year old that came free with a mare Sandy whom runs the 4H club here and owns a farm of beautiful horses. I came out one day and they started "leasing horses" . Ok I definatly wanted in on this; this was 5 years ago by the way LOL i knew hardly anything none of us did really. I wanted so bad to lease this little buckskin mare; but she was taken of course. So what was left? A Stallion that wouldnt work; and then there was Wee Man. I wasnt so pleased but of course I figured I could make him a little champion and we'd be best friends itd be easy? haha. Nope Wee Man doesnt liek to make anyhitng easy! first 2 years that horse dragged me all over his butt was literally 1 inch higher than his head he was an odd looking little horse and he had no respect for us. He was scared ot go otuside you had to coax him; he dragged everyone. Everyone elses hroses learned fast they won and won and I of course cried hed refuse every jump and Id get last always while all my best friends horses tried so hard. But we had this bond and I wasnt giving up no matter how many times he made me bawl. Then all the sudden as I learnt mroe and he learnt respect. He just matured his actual body didnt stop goriwng to a nice looking boy until he was 5 but he was darn cute in my mind! I wanted to get serious with showing I worked SO hard on him . Last year it paid off pretty good he actually went around a jmup course at his first show of that seasona dn I was so pleased! He stopped getting 5th in gelding and got a Grand Champion out of 14 Geldings!!!! Along with a reserve the follwoing weekend!!!! I still had to work harder with him he had his quirks. I got him driving finally and he came out this year into a CDE! His first time dirving off property and he tackled that course. This year that same gelding fomr 4 years ago tried SO hard for me he hardly knocks jumps ; he always does the obstacle course and he shows himself amazing in halter he perks up stretches into it and puts on the charm. I LOVE him I always have through all of this. And this year he won the Highpoint youth and horse combination in Ontario!!!
default_wub.png
I felt so good going up there. 2 years into working with him just as he was imroving I was asked one day at the farm to put him on the sale page as I did the website. I was shocked everyone knew how much I loved him I would relate anyting to wee man I was borderline obsessed LOL! I freaked I had to have him none else could own him So I saved did a paperroute which I disliked strongly LOL! I paid in payments and he wasnt even expensive LOL. Th minute I take him in a arena he follows me or in the fiedl on our own. He'll follow me over jumps with no halter or lead ; he'll trot right to me . If something happens ot him I dont know what I can do ; ..

SO the outcome of it all ;

Multiple Grand and Res. Champion Gelding.

Highpoint Obstacle Horse Ontario

High Point Youth Horse.

Res. High Point Jumper Ontario

CNE Res. Highpoint Youth Horse.

And to top it all off Juniors can now works with this horse and guesse what he went Highpoitn Junior Obstacle horse in Miniature Horse Ontario Show Circuit. And he went around that course with a little girl perfect she loves him and works with him all the time at the farm ! wow we always say "Who wouldve thought"

Wee Man is a special horse.

I know I wont ever have that bond with any other.

default_yes.gif

weetroon.jpg

ek.jpg

frigwee.jpg

** Ignore all the spelling mistakes I wrote like mad! LOL.

I didn't even have to think twice on my answer, it is Bambi On Ice. She is a coming 3 y/o mare. I LOVE this horse. We have an undescrible connection through heart and soul. She is my first mini, so she has taught me alot. I show her in halter obstacle, so we have spent countless hours together.

I am a scardy cat
default_new_shocked.gif
when it comes to going outside in the dark (coyotes freak me out), but when Bambi had a case of colic, I spent the entire night outside with her. I could tell she knew I was scared, and she was trying to comfort me while I was comforting her. There is a bond between us that can never be broken. I would give my life to save hers. When she looks at me, she knows she is "mommy's world".

th_BambiOnIce.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]I love all my "kids" They all have such special personalities
default_yes.gif
But the horse of my heart is my gelding Speedy (Vali Mini Ranch Speedy Windsong). He is such a character! doesn't matter what you do he has to be in your hip pocket. I'll be trimming feet and he just has to stand behind me and tug on my belt or rest his head on my shoulder, stand in the middle of the poop pile while I'm mucking
default_biggrin.png
or another one of his favorites is when I'm cleaning feet and I'm bent over he'll walk up behind me and bump me in the butt :DOH! I swear he's waiting for just the right time when I'm off balance, and fall on my face
default_rolleyes.gif
Such a pest
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
I showed him this last spring, not that he's a show horse but he enjoys driving. He suprized me
default_biggrin.png
he placed a 6th out of fourteen horses in Country Pleasure his first time out
default_aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

Too funny though.. he'd hear the carts coming up from behind and instead of spooking or going faster... he would actually slow down and try to see what was behind him, what a goofball!! Duh, Ma... what's that noise :DOH!

[SIZE=12pt]Joy[/SIZE]

scan0002.jpg

As much as I love Romeo already, Willie is still that one horse that I could not live without.. He will be with me till the day he dies. He has not won me any big trophies, and I am not sure if he every will.. But, he is my best friend, and no ribbon or trophy could top that. When I got him, I promised him I would always take care of him, put his needs first, and that he would never have to worry about food, water, love, etc.. And I plan to keep that promise. Even though he has the most complex and quirky personality I have ever met in a horse, his hoofprints are going to be forever in my heart.
default_wub.png

Christmas0700willie2.jpg

GORGEOUSBOY2-1.jpg

mrcharisma2.jpg

I have many favorites
default_smile.png
but Mr Charisma is at the top of the list. He's a 5 year old gelding who has the most intelligence and personality of any horse I've every known. He was a standout as a weanling, a knockout in the ring as a yearling, and has continued to delight me. His bite went off as a yearling and we reluctantly gelded him - his personality and mischieviousness are intact LOL. He had a year or so off, he's driving now and we are having a ball.

snow2.jpg

My other "love" is Foolish Shadow, a now 30 year old QH mare that we bought for our daughter. She was a babysitter deluxe when I needed one, and has been the most honest and willing horse in my life. There have been many times when I just needed to be on a horse, and could always go slip and halter on her and climb up on her back even if we did nothing but amble around the pasture or sit while she grazed. It's been many years since she went to a show but even now all I have to do is open the trailer and point her towards it - her ears come up and she trots in. She was 14 when we bought her, and had obviously had wonderful handling. My only regret is that we were unable to get a foal from her.

Many others I'm leaving out, but you said to pick one.....best I could do!
default_biggrin.png

Jan

My stallion Chip. His personality and temperment are the greatest. Words could never explain how I feel about him. I've had him since he was a long yearling. He will be 7 years old in May. Where the heck did the past 6 years go???!!! He is my love, my horsie soulmate.

Chip-Best%20Head%20Shot.jpg

Erin

This is really very very hard, and I cannot say that I love one more than the other, but that I love some more heart tearing than others. And of that type of love, the pulling at my heartstrings, always on my mind kind of love, I would have to say is the second dwarf we adopted, wee little 21.50" Bayleigh. She is the most severe of the four dwarfs we live with and maybe that is partially why. She is also the quietest, most calm and gentle horse of any I have had or do have. And that is from our 17hh Paint, the longears, the minis etc etc
default_wink.png
Her voice seems to come from the basement as it is very deep, she baritone nickers to me when she sees me, loves smoochies on her little squished up nosey, and is super smart. I hover over this little girl and bring her before the Lord each day for protection and perfect health.

The horse of my heart is tied between my first mini, my beloved stallion Romeo, and Eqypt's Fury, a Tennesse Walker/Arabian/Thoroughbred cross we adopted at 10 months. (His mama had been made pregnant to weigh more at the kill pen
default_no.gif
). Fury is gorgeous to look at but also in personality. Inquisitive, mischeivious, loving, goofy, and a pocket pony. Romeo is all fire and flash, but knows when I need to hug him and just have him stand quietly with me. He is all I ever dreamed of in a mini, and well worth the ten year wait to have one.

Bayleigh

Bayleigh-april14-2007-b.jpg

Bayleigh-debi-june14-2007-quiettime.jpg

Fury, the black horse.

Furyherd-aug17-2007.jpg

Fury-debi-aug14-2007web.jpg

an old photo of Romeo

OR-romeosmudge.jpg

Reading what you all say, and looking at your pictures -- it's easy to understand why these boys and girls have earned their special spots in your hearts!

balloons2.gif

Well, I only have 1 mini so normally he would be my favorite. But, my favorite overall horse is a Peruvian Paso mare I work with named Indy.

She came from an abusive home and was baely foundered when she came to us. For a while she wouldn't trust anyone until the ranch owners son started working with her. So now he can catch her. He starts spending more of his tome running around on the back of a mini so I take up his old position. I keep working with her and one day when I hop out of the car, she WHINNIES to me. And since then, its been love
default_wub.png

Now, she's preggers and due in a month or two. I have been told that I get to name the baby :D

Latest posts

Back