The fur is starting to fly...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little lady

Reaction score
Was out with the mini's yesterday and two of mine are starting to shed like crazy! I had hair from head to toe.One of the mini's and my Paint mare are not shedding yet. Are anyone elses starting to shed like this? I am thinking early spring...wishful thinking...right!

Not my minis yet, soon though, but my ten month old gypsy vanner is blowing his coat like crazy. I always noticed that the white area on the pintos seemed to start to shed off first/ quicker than the others. It's pretty normal this time of year, longer days, more daylight stimulating their bodies to kick off the shedding process.

I have a few that are starting to shed, but with as much winter as we still have left, I don't start actively grooming them for another month.

It seems a bit early this year but I have noticed it is light longer...time changes March 10th
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

My mini mare is shedding like a fiend but I have been keeping the barn lights on for a couple hours past sunset each night for the past month or so. It seems like she is shedding her undercoat first--she still has a lot of long hair but it does not seem as thick/voluminous as before. My biggie has been in the same conditions as my mini but she is not shedding nearly as much yet. Come on, spring...I am ready to see what is under all that hair (and mud)!

Not yet, but part of me wishes that my mini would start shedding--that would mean summer is close!!

YES!! Mine usually dump a lot of hair after the winter solstice... and I have a couple that the hair is coming off in gobs- and others that appear they are getting ready to. It's normal for this time of year....

I noticed that Seven is starting also. My big boy isn't but he usually holds onto his winter coat as long as possible.

Lavender is starting to shed more especially the white parts of her. I just wish her neck would shed a little faster, she is so itchy.

I noticed mine shedding about 2 weeks ago when I fed in the morning.Had my gloves on,rubbed their necks and got a glove full of hair.My Mini is especially shedding on his rump..That's when I start using the shedding blade.When I start hearing the song birds,the Canadian Geese heading North and the horses shedding,I know Spring is just around the corner..
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Looked up my records and last year noted fur starting flying March 6th...same two...my wooliest. Right now we have a muddy mess...sooo ready for spring!! Got the clippers out last night and cleaned them up and put on new blades.
default_biggrin.png

Mine have been for a couple of weeks now! Spring and foaling season are just around the corner!

Back