The Champagne gene...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
Ohhh..am quite excited. I just read my APHA magazine and read an article about the Champagne gene. You can now have your horses DNA tested for it. There are a few differnt types of Champagne color. It was a very interesting read and it got me thinking about mini's and whether that is an official color for the breed?

I have been fortunate and purchased a champagne stallion from Luv`em Minis before they dispersed. Here is his photo, he is an amber champagne...
Ricco707headshot.jpg

Yes it is. AMHR requires that a copy of ICHR papers to be included with any paperwork requesting your horse to be recognised as Champagne.

( I had to do this wiith 2 of my foals this year.) They wont list the "type of Champagne" but at least they will register it as one.
default_rolleyes.gif

AMHA also recognizes and accepts the color Champagne.

Here is an 08 Gold Champagne filly- after her first shave this year.

It is important to note that the Champagne gene cannot Spontaneously mutate..

Any true champagne horse must have at least one Champagne parent.

This filly has no cream gene in her whatsoever,

as her light color is caused from the Champagne dilute gene on a solid red base mare.

amira7monthsshaved.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, we got one this year too. She still needs to go through all the testing, but, I'm sure she is.. Her sire is an Ivory (Gold Cream) champagne. Right now she is fuzzy fuzzy fuzzy and hard to see in all the snow.

Oh my..he is BEAUTIFUL!! You lucky thing! I love his color..I also love champagne. he he.
default_risa8.gif

I have been fortunate and purchased a champagne stallion from Luv`em Minis before they dispersed. Here is his photo, he is an amber champagne...
Ricco707headshot.jpg

nicmac74,

Feel free to also check out my champagne mares on my mare page and my champagne stallion on my stallion page.

I have had champagnes and several champagne foals since 2002, and love the color :)

http://www.allwest.net/hhh

Susan O.

I just added a tested Champagne filly to my herd this year. She isn't home yet but she is paid for! I can't wait to get her home but I'm having trouble getting her here.
default_no.gif

April13.jpg

Mimimule, you haven't been able to get her to you because she wants to detour to ME! That is a pretty pretty girl. Conformation PLUS that gorgeous colour. Yummy!

Beautiful horses
default_wub.png

Does anyone in Ontario have any champagne coloured minis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Shawna,

I didn't know it was you that were getting that pretty April. She sure was gorgeous when I saw her in person :)

I just knew it was a Shawna! :)

Her daddy was my little Champagne JJ. :)

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back