The Berry Fairy was here! Foal #2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
Well I knew when we got this snowstorm the mares wouldn't listen to me about waiting!

After two days of rain, and in comes a snowstorm, dumping well over 10 inches, and blowing & drifting......And this is suppose to be Spring??? SO I told two of my mares that are bagged up and ready, that after waiting and telling them to foal for about 2 weeks now, that now I wanted them to wait until the snowstorm passes and it warms back up...........Did they listen.............Well, NO!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Beauty our Black mare, foaled a colt at about 11:20 PM last night.

He appears to be solid sorrel, he is out of Rocketman our Buckskin stallion. I will know more when he is out of the barn, and doesn't have his blanket on to keep warm.(which may be forever with the snowing & blowing
default_sad.png
)

Thank god for foaling cams!!! I am not sure this would have been a pleasant announcement without it!

I woke and checked the cam and her water had broke and she was down & just starting to push. I ran out in my jammies and I could see the white bubble, trying to be patient I waited, and finally felt in and there where two hooves and a nose, so I thought everything was going well, but Beauty was having a very tough time, she had been pushing for 10-15 minutes and making little progress, so I tried to help, I could not seem to budge him when she was pushing, so after a couple tries, I flew in to wake my hubby, I thought I just didn't have the strength.........well his one leg was back a lot further than the other, so Jon had to push him back in a little and then bring the other leg forward more, and then he cam out with Jon helping..............WHEW!!!!! Thank god for him! I was a basket case by that time, since I could see the foals tongue was hanging out of his mouth, so I broke the sack, just knowing we lost him, but he shook his head and was just fine........Strong little boy too! SO he has his navel dipped, and is dried off and blanket on, he was up on his feet really fast, seemed he wanted to suck on everything but mom, finally got him pointed in the right direction, and he took off nursing like a pro!

I am very thankful for this birth, when I first bought this mare 2 years ago she was pasture bred, I had no idea from the previous owner when she would foal, and at that time did not have a camera.....I had been checking on her every 2 hours for weeks, then one night, went to check on her and she had just had a beautiful sorrel & white pinto filly, it was out of the sack, and still all wet, but something was still not right, after having the vet out, he had said she had been deprived oxygen from either a difficult birth(she was maiden) or not getting out of the sack quick enough. We hoped she would come around, so we milked Beauty and bottle fed her, she had good sucking reflex, but could not stand long enough to nurse on her own.....Unfortunately, We lost this sweet filly after about 24 hourse of constant care. Beauty had loved this filly, and would not leave her side, calling to her over and over. :no:

SO thankfully she finally has a foal to love and to be a mom to!!!! She is so happy and so am I and is being a WONDERFUL mother!!!!
default_wub.png
:

So this is the reason we bought our foaling camera 2 years ago, I was so destroyed over losing theis perfect filly that I had wanted, And all I could think of is the what-ifs, and couldn't stop blaming myself, the not knowing what actually happened for sure just tore me up......because of that, my husband bought and installed our camera.
default_wub.png
: I think everyone needs one that raises miniatures, or any animal for that matter, I know without it I would have lost this little guy..........

Pics will come soon.....
default_yes.gif
:

Edited to add pics!! Sorry they are kinda dark....My camera isn't the best, and inside the stall the lightening isn't very good!

Beautycolt018.jpg

Beautycolt004.jpg

Beautycolt016.jpg

Beautycolt026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! can't wait to see pics!!
default_smile.png

No, no - NO more snow.....even being deathly tired staring at cranky mares on a monitor day and night, is not enough to make me want more snow!!! :bgrin

[SIZE=14pt]Congratulations.... you know the rules (unspoken) No baby announcements without pictures!!!![/SIZE]

Cant wait to see him. Im watching the proverbial pot waiting for it to boil too...... no snow in sight to help ...lol

Lyn

Congratulations on your new colt! Sounds like he's goning mto be a real "mama's boy" if she has anything to do with it!
default_wink.png
:

Congratulations on the new colt!
default_smile.png
Can't wait to see pics!

Conny

Definitely an "A" for Adorable!!!!

MA

Congratulations on your sweet little guy
default_smile.png

Just precious! What a sweet baby
default_wub.png
: Glad your little mare has a baby to love on after that long wait.

Gotta love those cameras huh?
default_smile.png

Big congratulations on your sweet new foal!

KsCowgirl

I just saw the picture of your colt on the "2006 Foals, A Picture Album"

Congratulations, he is a handsome little man!!

I just have to make a comment on his darling baby blanket! That is just too cute for words!!

KsCowgirl

I just saw the picture of your colt on the "2006 Foals, A Picture Album"

Congratulations, he is a handsome little man!!

I just have to make a comment on his darling baby blanket! That is just too cute for words!!

He is a cutie, and so full of himself! I had a couple emails on the blanket already, I got it off the Lil Beginning auction from Laura at Flying A Farms!

They sure work well!!!! He doesn't have a long coat like my filly born March 4th, so I am glad I have the blankets, especially with the weather so cold...........But it is warming up!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back