The 2008 American AMHA/AMHR Youth & Amateur National Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would certainly love to attend this event so I plan to voice my opinion to the people in charge.
default_smile.png
But I also think there needs to be strict guidelines on making sure the horse wasn't handled by a trainer at all! Because I just don't think that would be fair.

Good Morning All,

I posted an earlier comment regarding and All Youth/Amateur show which I tried to hold last year...

"I would like to address your all Amateur show that apparently someone is trying to put together.

First, as Chairman of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Advantage I tried last year hosting an all Youth/Amateur show (the Bluebonnet Classic). The show was to be held last July and had put out all information in the Journal and on this very site. I was hosting the show to use it as a guide and take all information to convention to be presented to the BOD. Well I did not receive not one entry for this show! It was to be a tool to set up a rating in order to get at least your All Star points and possibly your Hall of Fame points.

If the person or persons who are trying to get something like this off the ground would you please contact me so we can discuss your options and hopefully make it successful in order to get it a rated show. If not rated then people won't spend their time or money to come".

Thank you.

Karen Shaw

Chairman

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Advantage Program

10500 CR 606

Burleson Texas 76028

817-426-0262

Email: [email protected]

ASPC/AMHR....THERE ARE NO POINTS OF ANY KIND...NO ALL STARS...NO HALL OF FAME....NO RATING.

As chairman of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Advantage Program, I tried to hold a show to set the paramenters for getting a sanction show. Class list was set and sent out. Advertistment had been done in the Journal, but with it basically being an "Open" show no one wanted to come since they wouldn't be getting any points.

I asked for the person or persons who is hosting this event to give me a call and I would be happy to discuss the guidelines in which I need to be able to present it to the ASPC/AMHR Board of Directors. Both the Chairman of the ASPC/AMHR Youth Committee put in lots of hours working on this type of show.

I see one huge problem and that is tie-ing both Registries together...you need two seperate shows...as you have two seperate sets of rules governing the youth and amateurs.

Not trying to throw a wet towel on it, as I do see a need for these type of shows as many areas are having a hard time getting shows to take their horses to. If this type of show gets off the ground in the right way it will open the door to the future of the possibility of having a National Youth Congress or a National Amateur Congress or both just like the Quarter Horses and I do believe the Paint Horses have a similar program.

Again, No Points of any kind with ASPC/AMHR.

Sincerely,

Karen Shaw

Chairman

ASPC/AMHR Amateur Committee

Private Email: [email protected]

Phone in the evenings after 6 pm...817-426-0262

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen brings up some very valid points and it would be a shame to have people do all this work and not get entries. I remember all of Karens work before and its just too bad it couldnt get off the ground.

I think there are a lot of people like me that would love to attend but can only afford to go to tulsa for Nationals. But even though I cant go I think its a great idea and hope it gets off the ground. Would love to see something like this in the midwest.

One thing that the sponsors of this show need to keep in mind. The rules are very plainly stated, and were been brought up earlier this year, No other association can hold classes alternating with AMHR or ASPC on the same day. If this is to fly, it will have to be all AMHA on one day, and ALL AMHR/ASPC on another day, if not done this way, there will be no sanction and no points awarded for any classes in the AMHR/ASPC. Better check out these rules very well before putting together your class lists.

Sharron

Question ~ if AMHA and AMHA both have different rules regardiung who is eligible to show AMMY , which registry rule would be followed ??

Question ~ if AMHA and AMHA both have different rules regardiung who is eligible to show AMMY , which registry rule would be followed ??
If each show was set up under their own rules, and are separated, then each association rules would apply to their respective show and classes. It is the only logical way to put the class lists together, and have everyone get the points they are striving for. As Karen Shaw pointed out, if the shows aren't sanctioned by EACH association, and run on separate days with EACH associations rules pertaining to the classes and rules, then No points, HOF, or otherwise.

Sharron

If each show was set up under their own rules, and are separated, then each association rules would apply to their respective show and classes. It is the only logical way to put the class lists together, and have everyone get the points they are striving for. As Karen Shaw pointed out, if the shows aren't sanctioned by EACH association, and run on separate days with EACH associations rules pertaining to the classes and rules, then No points, HOF, or otherwise.

Sharron
Sorry , I didn't read the entire thread (short attention span
default_wacko.png
: ) so if that was stated already , forgive me.

We are all not being negative about this, we are giving the constructive criticism needed for this to be a success.

And lets be honest, the MONEY (because of the number of horses they bring) often times is in the trainers being there.

I don't see anyone being negative...I know that is certainly not how I intended my post.

I would REALLY like to see shows of this ilk held on a local or regional basis. It just seems that the folks to whom such a show would appeal would be more interested if they didn't have to travel so far. This would be especially if the goal is to attract those new to showing.

Personally, if I'm going to travel across country, I would go as much to admire and learn from the pros as well as the top amateurs, and since I would be unlikely to have the time or budget to travel that far for more than one show, I'd to choose one where I could see all levels.

I have some questions:

1. Do they have a proposed class list yet?

2. Will they be separating the AMHA horses from the AMHR horses, or will they show together in the same classes (with possibly a separation based on size only, not based on registry)?

3. If they plan to separate them, and judge by each associations 'rules', then how can they do that with the AMHR horses, as AMHR has no equivalent to the (Amateur Owned, Tranined, and Exhibited) designation.

A show can only continue to be offered year after year if it has enough entries to pay its expenses. I am concerned about the numbers of horses that they can attract. If I am reading the intent of this show correctly, it is ONLY for AOTE and Youth trained horses. Therfore, no horses that have been with a trainier since December 31, 2007 can compete. If so, that severly limits the number of horses that can attemd.

Another issue that affects attendence is whether is can be a 'point' show with either Registr, if it isn't, then I don' t think there is any way to draw the number of entries that they will need to survive for future shows. I am afraid that it would end up being just a REALLY, GREAT 'local' show as too many AMHR and AMHA 'show' people would not want to go to the expense of traveling if they don't get points (most people are on a budget and can only afford to spend a certain amount each year, so have to budget which shows they will attend, and decide which shows get them the most 'bang for their buck').

I don't mean these comments as a 'negative' thing, just as a concern for the people putting on the show. I would hope that the show would be a huge success. It might draw from a largely untapped group of amateurs and youth who haven't been going to the regular AMHA and AMHR shows as they didn't feel they could compete against the Trainers and the Amateurs whose horses had been with Trainers. This would be a wonderful venue for them. I just hope there are enough of them to make the show successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
that sure would be fun i like the idea!! :aktion033:

But if there are no points awarded, i dont think it's going to be a success. I certainly wouldn't fly accross the country just for a "fun" show. I think what sharron suggested might work.

Most people would have to choose between Nationals/Worlds and this thingy, just out of distance reasons.

Me still being in school, it's going to be hard enough taking days off for nationals. It's the first two weeks of school, which aren't hard to miss, just hard to start and then have to leave. stupid high school. I wont be able to go to Worlds until I'm out of college, just because of the timing. not sure how any youth find a way to attend that. well no one past about 7th grade. In my school you have to be puking, dying, or in mortil peril for them to excuse an absense..... so nationals would be near impossible.

because of that, I'd be more likely to go to this Youth/Amature thing! It's after school is out (which sadly puts in the hot summer, but that's okay), it would be so much easier to do this one, at least while I'm still in school.

So if points are an option, I'd love to go eventually!

We had a split show (AMHA one day/AMHR 2nd day) and it was pretty well attended. It wasn't an amateur/youth only. I love the idea, but being in Tulsa is waaaay to far for me. Why can't folks look more towards the center of the US? When R nationals were in MO, or when the A nationals moved around, it was easier to attend.

I wish them all the best in this endeavor! I'd love to see something like this turn into a regional event.

Evening All,

When I was working on the Youth/Amatuer stuff last year, I was trying to get enough information together to take back to the BOD proving there was a need for these type of shows. Without documention to present you can't hardly get something sanctioned. If sanctioned this would allow everyone, all clubs, show managers etc the opportunity to put on these types of shows in their areas then maybe in the future if it built to something large enough to have a National Youth/Amateur Congress...but that is in the future.

Karen

I have been in contact by email several times with Phillip concerning the show. I did encourage him to post on this forum so he could answer and monitor alot of our questions.

I think this type of show would be awesome. I would be able to show with others that have the same skill level. I heard a trainer state that "he could take a 3 legged mule in a class and win"!!!!! I approached him about taking in my horse, and he turned me down :new_rofl:

I do agree, if this is not a pointed show, I would rather spend my time and money with one that is. I really do hope this takes off. It will be a waiting game for now...............

Latest posts

Back