The 2008 American AMHA/AMHR Youth & Amateur National Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
We I emailed these people who are setting up for the show and they got a location and date set so mark you calenders.

It will be on June 25-30 at Tulsa, OK. This is just a Youth and Amateur show only. Your horses must be AMHA or AMHR registered and Amateur owned, trained and exhibited or youth trained. Horses must not have been with a trainer after 12/31 of the previous year to qualify. There is no qualifying for this show.

Want to hear what the prizes are.

36" Rosettes for 1st thru 10th place. Belt buckles to National Champions and Tioga Territory jackets for grands. They are saying they want to keep the class entries small like $20 a class, but they would like to go lower depending on the entries they are expecting.

So email them if your interested at [email protected]

Thanks for your message.

In my opinion its a great idea a show for Amateur only, my horses and I would appreciate that

I'll email them

Anita

Not that this is a bad idea, but...if AMHA and AMHR classes are to be intermixed on the same day, or in any way, I am pretty sure it wouldn't get official AMHA approval, and therefore, NO points. I don't know about AMHR's position.

Who is going to sponsor/put on this show?

Margo

This sounds really interesting to me. I suppose it wouldn't be a pointed show, but rather an alternative, and registry "agnostic." If I were to do it, I would have to get together some folks from up this way that all wanted to go. I am a bit surprised by the optimism of the organizers with such a great venue and a 5 day schedule! I could see this becoming a real neat show over time that would be a real goal for a lot of ammy owners. There are similar movements afoot in some of the big horse registries.

No I do not believe this will count for any points with any registry, thats why I believe also the low entry fees. Its just a show that people have organized that will have no trainers involved. For more, better info email them. They are wanting numbers now.

It does sound like it will run into the same time as the pinto show, perhaps thats why they got those days cause I believe the pinto show pulled out of Tulsa? Not sure if I'm right about that or not.

They are trying to get the show sanctioned with both registries so that yes points could be available sounds like a great idea and they are pretty open to suggestions and such

and for the Pinto worlds heck you will already be at the same show grounds
default_yes.gif
:

Pretty sure it can't be at the show grounds in Tulsa when the Pinto Worlds is going on................and will they really be National Champions for the classes ???? More confusion as to a National Champion in my opinion. Great idea, but needs more thinking, if not sanctioned by the registries then won't get much support I don't think.

It will be going on there Rob in the Rodeo Arena I think is what he said not the Main arena oops no my mistake they say they booked the Mustang arena and have barn B and barn C

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if Pinto pulled out of Tulsa. It's been there for what seems like forever. This show must start after the completetion of Pinto (this year it ran from the 15th-23rd) because the Pinto show uses the entire facility (all the barns, 2 main arenas showing at the same time, and the warmup arenas).

I think it's a good idea, but like Rob, it needs to be sancutioned by someone.

A question for amateurs who would need to travel a great distance to get to Tulsa...

Would you go to both this show and to Nationals or Worlds?

I may be wrong (as if!), but I'd think most people would need to choose. In that case, this show would draw entrants away from Nationals or Worlds. Therefore, why would AMHR or AMHA sponsor such a show?

This may, however, be incentive to seriously address people's concerns about who can show amateur...

It would have to be AMHR-sanctioned for my family of five -- three kids, 12 and under, as well as my wife and me -- to attend more than one show in Tulsa because of the distance.

It also would have to be cheaper than $20 a class, particularly when you're talking about five exhibitors and up to 12 horses (which is how many we took to AMHR Nationals). If there was a single fee for unlimited classes that would make it more attractive to some of us.

Also, were there plans for Over minis, or just Under minis?

Susanne, I do think those are valid concerns. I personally would have to choose one or the other. I would really prefer it if AMHR would come up with an AOTE division like the AMHA has, that would help.

There are several reasons that people might choose to go with this type of show over an open version. The first, as you say, is there would definitely be some greater restrictions over who could show in the division. Another situation is the perception that you have to have a pro on your horse at the national level to get a look in those very big classes. All I can tell you is that my beautiful mare Flirt gave me some of the best drives of her life at Nationals, and I got the gate in classes all week UNTIL PATTY DROVE HER. How interesting. She suddenly was a Reserve National Champion. I have mixed feelings about that, I can tell you for sure. I have video of all the classes and believe me, she looked just as good for me as for Patty, and Patty would tell you the same. All I can say is that I paid for that Reserve by having a trainer all year. Now that being said, having a pro drive/handle for you doesn't necessarily mean you are going to win either, as we got the gate once with Patty at the reins. Even though one judge placed us 3rd and we were on another card also. It would just be nice if a person could feel that they were being placed on the merit of their performance, not who was working their horse. I am trying very hard not to sound like sour grapes here, because really I am not. I just desperately wanted to be the one driving my horse when she was finally rewarded so very well. I was jealous that I wasn't the one in the cart in that photo.
default_blush.png
:

I will be showing AMHR primarily at least for the next 3 to 4 years, because I have some horses that are R registered only until I can get them hardshipped. Here are a couple of things that would make my life complete, at least in my view today, LOL!

1. If AMHR had an AOTE division, OR:

2. If AMHA would allow me to hardship register my R horses before they were 5 years old. THESE GUYS ARE DEFINITELY UNDER 34" and going to stay there. You know, this is the frustrating thing about that. AMHA is a height registry, and they have defined heights per age. The registry is really missing out by not allowing people to hardship at any age if the horses fall into that height category. My 31.5 - 32" 2yo stallion is NOT GOING TO GO OVER! I would show the heck out of this guy and go to the World Show in a heartbeat if I could hardship him! I am not quibbling over the price of hardship or anything! Just let me register the guy and show him!

I don't know if that proposal is coming up for a vote in '08, but if it is I will move heaven and earth to get to the meeting to vote. If it isn't...I am going to take the time to figure out how to submit a rule change and get it put up. The registry has nothing to lose and a lot to gain by passing it.

It is my understanding it will be over and under horses but here is the email

[email protected] they seem to be very open to any and all input.

I don't understand why there is so much negativity about this.. I think if hard work goe sinto it it will be a fantastic show that youth and amateurs can enjoy... Theres no way Ill be able to go as Tulsa is SO far away
default_sad.png
But none the less I think some lucky people who can go will have a spectacular time. ;)

I think it would be nice to go to a show where just youth and amateur trained horses can compete. How will the people holding the show know for sure that the horse was not being trained by a trainer during the set period? But still it'd be great to see what horses can do when they are trained only by their owners.

I like the idea, but there's no way I could travel that far at that time of year. I'd miss the Happ's CDE! :new_shocked: Plus I don't want to be anywhere that hot in the summer. Ugh.

Leia

Latest posts

Back