That Awful C word

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I wanted to share an email I received this morning. Being a Cancer surviver of 20 years now myself, this email really hit home. I was diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer in 1988 when I was 28 years old. It was a devastating blow for me in my prime of life but I was determined to beat the odds and I was one of the lucky ones.

This was sent to me from my cousin going through it herself and it's all so true that I wanted to share it.

It gives a different perspective to LIFE....

~~~~~~~

I am amazed every day at how many people are being diagnosed with some form of cancer... this is truly the "epidemic" of our lifetime... much more so than a swine flu. I had commented to my sister a couple of months ago (while I was proofreading PET/CT scans for work) that no one knows what we have going on inside of us... then, unfortunately, I found out.

A cancer diagnosis is like nothing else you can imagine... it's like all of a sudden you are on a speeding, out of control train with no idea if you will be able to get off in time. All of a sudden you are faced with people you've known for many years looking away when you look at them, or not calling or emailing anymore because they don't know what to say. You have to deal with having medicines with unpronounceable names and potentially harmful side-effects injected into your body... yet you know you have little choice.

On the other hand... this is a time when you truly know who your friends are, the ones who offer to come clean your house, or hold you when you cry, or hold you hair back when you are sick, or are just willing to listen... those are the ones that are truly heaven sent.

You also have a wonderful opportunity to become much closer to the God who loves you... and yet that gives you the question "if He loved me so much why did He do this?". And my answer to that is... HE didn't do it, we have free will and my cancer is a result of my life-style and genetics. When I met with my oncologist (yes I finally have one, more on that in another email), I asked her how long she thought this had been growing... she said it is very difficult to know but based on my type of cancer and where it had spread to at this point, she guessed it had been less than a year.

So I thought back over my last year, which was filled with incredible financial stress, long work hours, losing the job I loved, poor eating habits, little sleep, and I realized that there was no way I could blame GOD for this, as I said, we have free will and this is what I had chosen to do... work like a maniac and not take care of myself... does anyone doubt that I would handle it differently if I got a chance for a "do over"?.

Fortunately I have a strong faith and even though I have some bad moments I am, for the most part, incredibly at peace with what is happening. I recently told my son that none of us know when our last day will be... it could be today... but there is something amazing about knowing that the time you thought you were going to have, will be much more limited. You look at every day differently... you start each day being thankful that you are still here, you don't want to have any disagreements with those you love... or with anyone. You tremendously appreciate a sunrise or sunset... you hug those you love just a little longer... you say "I love you" much more often, you spend much more time praying for those you care about than you do for yourself, you look for ways to do things for others... not because you think you are "buying your way into heaven" but because you know this is how you should have been acting all along... like Christ. We should love others the way He loved us... not finding fault, not arguing, not judging, not lying, not having to have your own way, just love and acceptance.

If there is any one thing I could say to everyone, it would be... "love one another", nothing else is important, love others MORE than you love yourself, think of others more than you think of yourself, treat others with the same kind of love that our Father showers on us. You only get one time around... make it count.

thank you for posting this. it is very touching. i have lost oved ones to cancer and have often asked those questins and then i have friends who have survied and i thank go that they were able to fight the battle. life is truely precious and i know that in our family we never forget to say "i love you" before we leave or hang up the phone because you truely never know.

lots of huggs for you and your cousin

Dianna that is a beautiful perspective to have in life.

Sometimes I think we should all live as if we have some form of cancer.

If for nothing else, than to learn to love others more in spite of our differences.

Thank you for sharing. I will keep your cousins situtation in prayer.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, that hits it all on the head.

After my other half was diagnosed with Lymphoma in January of this year, many of these things ran through both of our minds.......... and it does give an entirely different outlook on life and things in general. Howe

I have pretty much quit eating any processed foods, sugars and other things NOT good for us too- it was a huge wake up call that we would rather do without!!

Hugs to your cousin and thank you for sharing that...I think it gives a great insight on the whole thing. I hope that your cousin will be able to get hers into remission!!!!!!!!

Yes thanks for posting that.

My husband was also diagnosed with Lymphoma last year, and is now in remission, Thank God.

It was/ is such an eye opening experience.

I sincerely pray that your cousin has a good outcome. She really does have a good perspective to have in life

Hi, Actually my cousin has stage V non-small cell Lung Cancer which is much more resistant to treatment and has no cure to date.

And just a note to all on her lung cancer....She NEVER smoked but her mother was a VERY heavy smoker. When I looked her cancer up on line it said the main cause was tabacco, smoker or second hand smoke. So everybody out there that smokes around their loved ones please take note....

But no matter what type of cancer, it sure changes your perspective on Life and what really is important.

I truly believe that STRESS is a big factor in getting cancer. Along with the abuse alot of people do to their bodies... smoking, drinking, etc.

I myself was a fitness nut back when I got lymphoma and NEVER SMOKED and seldom drank but I had alot of stress and worked in a job that had many different chemicals in the air.

My oncologist at the time told me chemicals were a big cause of Lymphoma cancer (what I had) and that lawn chemicals were really bad for us and animals.

We put those chemicals on our lawns and then children play in the grass and our pets too.

Since my bout with Lymphoma in 1988 I am really careful about being around any kind of chemicals, car exhaust, paint fumes...you name it and I stay clear from it.....

I really just posted that email to let everyone know how you look at life AFTER you get the bad news and hope it may help all of us to start looking at life that way NOW !!!!!

My other half probably developed cancer due to the testing they did in Nevada and New Mexico in the late 50's and early 60's. In fact, his father developed lung cancer and died at age 59 as they have all lived in the same place for 5 generations.

There is a government 'compensation' program for those that have been affected and developed cancer that covers Nevada, Utah, NM, AZ and I dont remember if other states were included or not. We are getting the papers filled out as we speak........... There have been over 13,000 claims paid so far I believe.

Diane, Thank you for posting this letter. It says it all.

I am a breast cancer survivor, was diagnosed in 1990. I am lucky and have not had any further cancer. The fear never really goes away though.

Somehow, I believe that incredible stress in your life may be a trigger, besides environment, chemicals and genes.

I refuse to use chemicals on my lawn, and try to be careful about chemicals, bug sprays etc.

My vet has been amazed over the years at( so far) the longevity of my Rottweiler and Doberman. Both have went to the Rainbow Bridge just a couple weeks short of age 13, which is pretty good really, although never long enough. My yorkies have all lived to age 16.

I wonder how long my Great Danes will live. Great Danes are notoriously short lived, sadly. I raised one from a little pup and adopted the other at age three. I filter all my pets drinking water as I do my own.

I wish your cousin good health, a speedy recovery and peace.

I am happy that you are a survivor and are doing well.

Tim McGraw said it best when he sang... "live like you were dying". I think it is good advice. We need to appreciate everyone and everything, forgive, love, be a friend.

Robin

Thank you for posting this.

My mother and aunt were both diagnosed with breast cancer within six months of each other. Both are in remission as of right now. But as someone said before, the fear that it may come back never goes away...

I wish you and your family well.

Thank you so much for posting this.

My Mother had Hodgkin Lymphoma about 5 years ago, and she is now a six year survivor. You just have to believe in God and have a strong faith.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back