Thank God for pagers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMeadows

Reaction score
Again, I thank God for the Breeder Alert that GG Cleopatra had on last night. Cleo is 25 years old, she has produced 3 National GRAND Champion Open Single Pleasure Driving horses (from 3 different stallions) over her lifetime and this foal was to be her last. Cleo was bred to Lorraine Strawn's "moving machine" - High Country Hi Tech for her last baby.

We have been so excited and worried - Cleo has always been a great mom, easy foaler, and due to her age her due dates have been getting longer & longer. I had been checking her daily, but had seen little to no development, had taken her pager OFF, and actually fter checking her milk a couple of days ago told Lorraine that it looked like Cleo was going to go another couple of weeks - well, glad I checked her milk again yesterday afternoon because she gave me a palm full of white milk! :new_shocked:

Well, we all know that this can mean "I am going to foal soon" or " perhaps in a few days" - needlesstosay, the pager went ON.

Glad it did, because at 11:15 Cleo was down & pushing - I shot down to the barn, and waited a minute to see how things were progressing -- NOT GOOD - Cleo was laboring hard, and sweating -- NOT her usual. No feet, no bubble - so in I go - only to find an "obstruction". Now any of you who have done this know what a pit you get in your stomache when this happens - but your mare's life and her foal's life are on the line so you do what you have to do -- go in and search for a leg, foot, head etc. Fortunately found a leg, then another, made sure that I had a head and 2 front feet -- but still the baby was upsidedown - not good - it is really hard to turn a foal, and it is very hard to deliver a baby in this position. I was alone - Guy works nights and wouldn't be home for a couple of hours - I was on my own with this one

Thankfully, Cleo is an experienced mare, and she worked really hard and we did get this baby out -- a sorrel filly with a blaze. Touch and go for this baby - didn't want to breath, and then once breathing didn't want to keep breathing - 3 hours of CPR and constant viligance to make sure she didn't fade - Cleo was in a lot of pain and cramping badly, 3 cc's and then 3 more cc's of Banamine finally took hold and gave her some relief. So for the next several hours I was monitoring the filly to make sure she didn't "expire" on me again - got about 45 cc's of colostrum into her while Cleo was still down to give her a little kickstart and by the time Cleo was able to stay on her feet for a few minutes the baby was finally up and looking for breakfast. Cleo is still quite sore, but it looks as tho all will be OK -- again thank God for the pager - I am sure that I would have lost them both if I had not had it on her. The moral here - NEVER expect things to bo OK just because your mare has not had a problem before - Cleo has had 13 foals with no problems!

Thankfully, this one worked out well, the filly is a keeper - she is Cleo's last baby which makes me kind of sad, but Cleo has more than earned her retirement - even at age 25 she doesn't show her age - doesn't have a grey hair on her face and can pretty much "out-trot" anything on our place.

So, now we need to name this little girl: mom is GG Cleopatra and dad is High Country Hi Tech -- any suggestions?

Stac

That must have meant some very stressful moments for you! Glad to hear that they are both going to be alright. I just love my older mares ( and my younger mares and my... well you get the idea). Please post pictures when you can.

Stacy,

You sure did a super job and I am so happy both mom and baby are doing well!

Congrats!!!!

Susan O.

WOW so very scary I hate foaling out for that very reason whole thing makes me sick once the mare starts labor until the foal is out and ok i feel like I am going to hurl.

Thank goodness you were there for both of them I cant wait to see pics!

Oh, Stacy, I am so glad you saved them both!

I know how scary all of that must have been, and I know you will find just the right name, but with her mom being a Cleopatra, I thought of Nefertiti
default_smile.png

Or Hi-Technique. I'm bad at naming..I still haven't named our little girl born back in March... yipes!

Congrats!

Liz M.

Good Job! Way to hang in there. It's so nice when all goes well......and so scarey when they don't. Especially when you're alone! Congratulations on your filly. I'm horrible with names. But since it's her last foal I think she should be named after mom. Cleopatra's Lasting Legacy....or something in that nature.

Good Job! Way to hang in there. It's so nice when all goes well......and so scarey when they don't. Especially when you're alone! Congratulations on your filly. I'm horrible with names. But since it's her last foal I think she should be named after mom. Cleopatra's Lasting Legacy....or something in that nature.

default_wub.png
: congrats,

thank god for miracles. She needs to be named miracle.

love to see photos.

GREAT JOB.

Yay!! :aktion033: What a relief that all turned out well! Congratulations on your new filly!

OH MY GOSH Stacy, I am so glad you were there for her, I almost cried reading your account...you must have felt so alone and near panic!!! I can't wait to come see Alladdin's little sister! What a blessing you got a girl! I wish for her to be of the same caliber as your beloved Summer Rose...

Name ideas:

Hi Time Cleo

Hi and Royal

Cleo's Last Dance (Dancer)

Cleo's Tech Nique

Hi Queen

Technically a Queen

Cleo's Swan Song

Thank heavens and congrats that it all worked out ok and you got a great filly to 'replace' her mama! I bet that got your blood pressure moving! Can't wait to see pics!

Wow good job getting her here alive!!! I know that sick feeling well, boy do I hate to be there alone when things go wrong. Congrats on your special filly!!!!
default_wub.png
:

Congratulations on a job WELL DONE in getting that little girl out alive!! It is so scary when things don't go "by the book"! Congratulations on your new filly, and hope she will thrive for you!

Oh my goodness, how scary! How about Hi Country Queen, High on Denial (De Nile), or Mountain Meadows River Queen, maybe Technical something? There are so many great possibilities!

Leia

Congratulations on a job well done in the face of great stress. That baby should have miracle in her name and I agree with others should have her moms name in there somewhere too. Maybe Cleo's Miracle.

Congratulations Stacey!!! :aktion033:

I am so glad that everything turned out okay!

How about MM Hi Tech Queen of The Nile (or DeNile)?
default_wink.png
:

Pics too please?

Nancy
default_smile.png

Thanks everyone - please keep those names comming -- I am finally "decompressing" from last nights adrenalin rush. I hate it when things like this happen - I pretty much go into overdrive and check out of everything but what must be done - haven't really had much time to think clearly today - I keep reliving what we went thru last night.

Stac

Glad to hear all is well now. Congratulations!!!

I Love Clickminis "Cleo's Tech nique" name or maybe something about "Hi Class"

Stacy,

Could sure read that adredalin rush all through your description! Thank god it didn't end in a crash......

Sounds like Cleo wanted to end her foaling career with a memorable one! LOL!

MA

Good job! I know it's extra scary when you're by yourself! I had one upside down this year. Congratulations on your baby girl! It sounds like she'll be a real moving machine! I'm so glad you were there for Cleo.

Back