Terrible sign of the times

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
Got this today and thought I would pass it along, I'm sure any help would be appreciated.

Several rescue organizations in Nebraska are working to save over 300 horses that have been abandoned and are in dire need of food and medication attention. Approximately 150 have already died and several more are in very bad shape. As of today 4/23/09 many people are volunteering trucks and trailers to transport the horses from Alliance NE to the fairgrounds in Bridgeport, NE where several veterinarians have volunteered to do what they can. This is only a temporary place to keep them so we are looking for anyone who knows of any place available for these horses or if anyone knows anyone else who might have a place for these horses. Approximately 32 of them are Stallions. We have 2 semi loads of hay coming to help feed them for a short time, but much more is needed to be done before the horses can be put up for adoption or rescue. The man that owned them has not been located as of yet so there may still be some legal proceedings to be worked out with the horses. In the meantime, we could use any help with the pasture situation, feed situation, transport situation and anything else that may come up. If you are able to help or know someone who might, please contact us and we will be glad to get you in touch with the appropriate person or agency.

Thank you very much.

Linda Kurgen

605-745-7138

Laura Inman

605-745-7115

Margaret Maloney

KGE Farms 605-535-2158

This is horrible, unfortunately it is happening a lot around me too. There were just 20 horses dumped near me about a week ago and I am sure there will be more through out the year. I will contact some people and see if they might be able to help.

I wonder if these are the BLM mustangs that were at a "sanctuary" of course donations had been accepted all along and it has been found that there is a mass grave - many are at a body score of 1 or 2 and the guy who runs the place is claiming that is how they live survival of the fittest. There is more about someone who supposedly posioned a horse and it died and he needed more funds, a horse was stolen he needed more funds and in reality the stolen horse was found on his property and the dead horse is at a vet clinic in poor shape due to starvation nothing to do with anything else and is alive has been at the vets for over a week.

But might not be the same place which is actually even sadder
default_no.gif

That is so sad, but I think we will all be seeing alot more of this. We just had in our area, 2 yearlings that apparently were shot, and dragged into the national forest. Both we're horrible skinny. They were both found within hours of being "dumped" off, by a man walking his dog on the trail. The owners did turn themselves in, after about 1 week, claiming they couldnt afford to feed them. Both are now facing criminal charges. The sheriff's dept did some very good leads, ~~one of the yearling was a pinto with some very distinguished markings on him. I just dont know how someone could do something like this, I also know rescues are filled to the brim, but I know Midwest Rescue would of taken these two horses.

I believe this is the story

Published Thursday April 23, 2009

Rescue at Mustang Ranch: Dream became nightmare for horses

BY HENRY J. CORDES AND MAUNETTE LOEKS

WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE

People who know Jason Meduna describe him as a kind of horse whisperer.

Rescue workers and volunteers try to coax two horses close with grass at the County Fairgrounds in Bridgeport, Neb., on Wednesday .A wild palomino would arrive at his 3-Strikes Mustang Ranch near Alliance, Neb., and he soon would have the mustang eating out of his hand.

But some say that despite that knack, Meduna seemed to lack the know-how to actually finish a mustang and make it a sellable riding horse. And they say he was unwilling to take anyone's advice.

His ego, people who know him say, apparently also didn't allow him to ask for help this winter when things started to go very wrong at the 3-Strikes.

In the end, the results were disastrous for Meduna, for those who knew him and especially for the horses he professed to love so much.

"He thought he knew it all, and didn't," said Liz Lee of Alliance, who had volunteered to help out Meduna's ranch almost every weekend last year. "Jason's favorite saying was 'I'm not a poser.' Well, excuse me, but he has proven to be the worst kind of poser."

Meduna, 42, remains free on bail, facing a single charge of felony animal cruelty. He did not return phone messages seeking comment.

On Wednesday, local officials continued their investigation of alleged animal neglect on Meduna's ranch. The Morrill County sheriff for the first time confirmed that there were "a significant number of dead horses."

The head of an animal rescue group has said that he and the sheriff counted about 60 dead horses dumped and scattered across the bare Sand Hills ranch during a weekend fly-over.

Also Wednesday, two animal rescue groups, a 12-member crisis team from the U.S. Humane Society and others descended on the ranch to begin removing some 200 surviving horses and burros. They were to be taken to rodeo grounds in Bridgeport, Neb., for evaluation, medical care and feed.

Rescuers were being careful, given the weakened and emaciated condition of the animals. Tom Furman, an Alliance veterinarian, said all the horses showed signs of starvation.

"We want to take our time," said Jerry Finch of Texas-based rescue group Habitat for Horses. "It's going to be a slow process."

Acquaintances of Meduna's speculated Wednesday that when he got in over his head, he was just too proud to reach out.

Meduna had come to the Sand Hills about two years ago to establish his "mustang outpost," dedicated to adopting wild horses and giving them room to roam. His plan was to obtain wild horses from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, tame them and sell them, Finch said. Meduna also took in horses from private individuals.

Furman, the Alliance veterinarian, said he talked to Meduna about establishing a health program for his horses shortly after Meduna arrived in the area. Furman said Meduna was not interested in working with a professional vet.

Lee said Meduna was charming, and many people like herself "wanted to believe the dream."

Jill Lane, a Florida woman who visited the ranch with her husband last fall and befriended Meduna, remembers being amazed at how the wild horses responded to him.

"He had this wonderful rapport with them," she said. "I don't think he's a cruel man in any way, shape or form."

Lee, who runs a museum in Alliance, said Meduna did seem to love the horses and was proud of what he was doing — probably too proud. In the end, she said, she now thinks the 3-Strikes Mustang Ranch was mostly about him, not the horses.

Lee watched as Meduna's herd grew to more than 300 horses.

Whenever he was asked about the horse's care, Lee said, his frequent response would be, "This is not my first rodeo."

"His arrogance was incredible," she said.

Lee didn't think he was much of a businessman. In the year that she was around the ranch, she hadn't known him to sell a single horse.

She doesn't think he was skimming money at the expense of the animals. He drove a 13-year-old pickup and had a modestly furnished home. He never went anywhere, and his wife worked two jobs.

"Whatever money came in was literally spent on the ranch and horses," Lee said, "but there wasn't enough."

In December, Meduna pushed all his volunteers away. He said he just wanted to work on his own and get some stuff done during the winter. She now thinks it was the first sign that things were going over the edge. It didn't help, she said, that it was a harsh winter, with winds burning the thin vegetation down to nothing.

By February, Meduna was making accusations in the local paper about his horses being poisoned. He also said a well-known horse of his had disappeared from his ranch.

Lee said she called Meduna and asked if she could help. She was again brushed off. And now, she said, everyone knows why. The events of the past week have forced her to totally reassess a man she thought she knew.

"He was always so kind and gentle with his horses," she said. "But to let them sit on the range and starve is a whole other thing."

While defending Meduna's intentions, Lane, the Florida woman, agreed that it was likely arrogance and pride that didn't allow him to reach out for help.

"It's a dream that could have been so magical," she said of the ranch. "And it's not anymore. It's just a horrible situation."

I just got off the phone with Jackie who is working with the sheriff's office. They are being taken to the fairgrounds about 50 miles away. The area vets will be checking all the horses for infections, skin problems etc. Shots, wormers and any meds they need are being overnighted and will arrive sometime tomorrow. The fairgrounds will only be a very temperary place as they have events coming up and need the facility. From what she told me that as soon as the health checks out they will be up to go to temp or adoptive homes. Last count the dead were over 150 horses. This is just disgusting!!

They have 18 large round bales of hay but will let people know if they need more. She also said there are some beautiful horses in this group

If you call Jackie she will take your # and have the person in charge of feed, health etc call you back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this does not sound like a "sign of the times" or anything to really do with the economy but purely a case of animal hoarding. I am sorry but 300 horses and 32 of them stallions? That is NOT a rescue, sanctuary or anything that resembles actually "helping" horses.

Hoarding is a very real mental illness for which there is no cure. And from what I read this guy fits the profile to a T.

Given a chance these folks will pull up stakes and do it again. Lets hope the courts make sure his is never allowed to own horses again AND he is carefully watched.

How sad for the horses. If he was getting the horses directly from the BLM I don't understand why they would allow one person to adopt so many mustangs--I don't know their rules, but it just seems kind of weird. It's too bad so many had to die before they got help.

I agree, this is nothing to do with the times or economy--he was hoarding.

Latest posts

Back