Tell me about your very first mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had riding horses before minis, and still do, but minis stole my heart in 1999. Just prior to that, I had the oportunity to drive a friend's mini. I'd been driving my Morgan for about a year at that time and had more fun driving the mini, so finally, I knew at least one thing "they're good for." Before then, I thought minis were cute, but didn't really think I'd do much with one.

We got our first mini, and he came home at just 3mos of age. He was the first horse we raised from a "baby". The most gentle horse you can imagine. Gelded, grew up, got trained to drive. He's a total blast!!! A black and white pinto named Eclipse, standing 33", who is to this day still a favorite of both H and myself. Some of our other minis may be fancier, but Eclipse gives them a run for their money in the FUN department
default_smile.png

Eclipse%20061808%20166.jpg

I was 12 and begged my mom,i was sleeping,dreaming,and crying...she was deathly afraid of horses,but gave in...my fkrst mini was a bay with a triangle on her forehead,and a rear sock,she was 36 inches amd a nut!!...mom had her delivered to our house in town,we kept her until neighbors complaimes,so she stayed at my aunts far, with me buying feed and hay,,when my aunt went on to say she was eating $50 a week in feed,,,which was not,true..my dad traded ner for a four wheeler for himself one day while I was in school..i was heartbroken,,i had trained her to ride,pull a cart,and she was my babh

I met my husband in 2003,& was hired by him to break horses,it went well until a bad accident where I broke my jaw and had hip surgery due to a stupid mustang...we had 52 big horses...when I got put of the hospital in 2005 my then fiance bought me domino,she was a black and white paing mini with a white breastcollar...she had never been handled..i broke her to ride and to a cart,and she was my baby....she stayed at my inlaws house..by this time we sold all of our big horses..my in laws starved their horaes and the state came in and took most of them,my mini included...she was not poor,and was well taken care of.they left,the stallions andthe old horses and took what,they wanted...i could not,get her back as she was on their property..

Now I have my own land,my own minis whom I take care of every day myself...i do not get aling with my inlaws anymore due to the way they treat their animals,it makes me sick...but anyway,thas my story

I have to say, I was at the sale barn and heard someone say, he was a kicker. Peanut couldn't have been more than 3 months old and had a foot that needed help. I bought him and the mext day I held him in the cab of the pickup while we drove to the farriers. He used a special epoxy and Peanut is a happy normal mini today. His best friend is an Alpaca who love to frolic in the pasture with him.

Good Morning, First I would like to give a big THANKYOU to everyone that shares and helps on this site! YOU ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
default_yes.gif

My first mini, Lucky, I purchased in September at an auction. That morning I had no idea I would be getting a mini horse. I have absolutely no horse experience.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I really enjoy Lucky soo much! Then, I was out this spring and saw babies and mares and ended up getting a mare that is in foal. She picked me, I sware
default_biggrin.png
, for real!

OMG, after reading links, marestare and posts, I feel like I jumped over a cliff
default_oops.gif
. The lady I got her from has no idea when she is due. I am taking her to the vet Friday to get an ultrasound. I'm reading, I'm sweating, I have watched red bag and the normal delivery. She is also a maiden mare.
default_ohnoes.jpg
I think I can, I think I can.....!

I'm trying to figure the picture thing out again. Not sure if I got it right or not.

I had always wanted a horse and finally my father gave in when I was 18, as long as I paid for it and did all the work to prepare for it. My uncle always had at minis and I fell in love with them. He is a farrier and did not have any for sale at the time but one of his clients was a breeder. So the journey began as we headed to her place to take a look at her horses for sale. She had a 2 year old filly, and 2 weanling colts for sale. I was looking for a filly, but one of the colts stole my heart also. My father said I was only supposed to get one. I was so torn between the filly and the black colt. My mother also fell in love with this colt, he was quite the character. When The time came to make my decision I asked my mother which one I should choose, my father said nothing but, elbowed my mother and stuck up 2 fingers. I was surprised not sure if I knew what he was implying, he replied get them both you have the money, and we have plenty of pasture and the price is right. Besides what if one got too lonely by itself. That was all I needed to hear I was ecstatic, I counted out the bills and loaded them on the trailer to their new home.

Like they say minis are like chips... you can`t have just one. Duey the colt I bought hardly ever leaves my father`s side. I think he`s more my father`s horse then mine. haha Last June I added a third member to my pasture, my uncle had 2 foals born, and one of them caught my eye. A little paint filly, that is a half sister to my other 2 horses. So now my herd consists of Hope who is now 4, Duey gelding age 2 and Pebbles 10 months. I`ve never been happier now that I have added had these little guys in my life.

100_5436.JPG

100_3591_picnik.jpg

715.JPG

Latest posts

Back