Teaching Halter Horse to "Set Up"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhorses

Reaction score
I am wondering if you can tell me how you teach your halter horses to set up and stand still, with their back legs parked. I guess first thing I need to teach my guy is how to stand still, which we have been working on. He is getting the hang of that, but anytime I move to adjust his legs, he moves too. Especially when I got to move his back legs, he just side steps and we have to start all over. Also he wants to stand more up under himself than to keep his back legs back where they should be. I have always liked when people bring their show horses out and that horse just knows how to set up and stay set up...wanting to teach my boy the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I had a lot of trouble too when I started.. Had some very helpful friends give me tips!!

It's really hard to top Mike's article-- hes quite the halter king and his article is very good!! And I've only done this for two years!

The horse has to know that your space is YOUR space, he must know not to break that barrier. If a horse does that to me I step towards him with aggressive body language, often he will step back. Kind of like inserting yourself as the boss horse.

My favourite tip that I was taught is 'the halter slide'. You have a treat in your hand and slide your hand down the lead shank for the horse to smell, and then you slide your hand back up the lead, (however slowly that is needed) to get the neck stretch effect. I don't like the 'straight out' neck stretch because it looks like a alligator neck
default_laugh.png
And this leadshank slide is a good way to get a arched neck.

Heres a shot of what it looks like in case my description doesn't make sense?

317659_163367013744022_100002121721092_320802_2463136_n.jpg

Back