Tall boy, Little girl

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Is it safe to breed a refined 38 inch stallion to a 32 inch mare?

This is a hypothetical question.

I don't have a 38" stallion but am looking at one that is 37" and was wondering what the smallest mare he could safely breed would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
When breeding a stallion, a lot does depend on his build. If the stallion is taller, he should have a smaller build/bone.

But as for your height difference, I would never consider doing it, no matter how the stallion was built. For me, that is way too big of a difference. JMO

I've learned that the important thing is to breed refined stallions to these smaller mares. If the mare is very refined herself I would say not to breed her to such a large stallion. In my opinion I feel this is a bit too much of a size difference. Breeding her to a 35", refined stallion would be better. This is, of course, my opinion... I hope that helps!

This is not one I would do, although I know it has been done. I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Worse case scenario, you could lose the mare and the foal. Best case, you will get a nice foal which will most probably go "B" anyway- is the stallion that good???

I truly believe nature will take its course. Clysdales bred to Ponies have been done. Proving that the pony mare will also allow the foal to get as big as her body will allow. Foal is born smalll but then grows at a rapid rate. Not saying I would ever bred a pony to a clysdale! lol

I have a 27 inch mini that I would like to bred someday. Because I like the mini's tiny I will bred her to a 32 or smaller. I bought a super nice weanling mini that is going to be a bit bigger. Probably 31 or 32. I would then prefer to bred her to a smaller stud. 28-30.

I know it has been done.. i do think the build of the stallion as well as others in his background need to be considered i am a chicken though so for me.. 34 and up for those larger stallions (which is why i went to a B program)
smile.gif

We enjoy having our mares around and feel breeding that height to a half a foot taller stallion would give me nightmares so wouldn't even consider it. But knowing both horses involved would breed 29 to 32.50 have done it with no problems but it still is a worry hanging over our heads just in case this is the one time it turns ugly.

I would say if the stallion has refined bone, yes.

Remember that in the sport horse world, the vast majority are the result of breeding draft stallions (Clydes, Percherons, etc.) to thoroughbred mares and they do this successfully.

Nature makes sure that the foal, while in-utero, will conform to the mare's capacity. The foal, after born, quickly grows to it's genetic size.

Would I do this? Only after carefully researching the stallion's refinement and his other offspring.

Jean_B said:
Nature makes sure that the foal, while in-utero, will conform to the mare's capacity.  The foal, after born, quickly grows to it's genetic size.

Would I do this?  Only after carefully researching the stallion's refinement and his other offspring.

490912[/snapback]

I agree that the stallion's bone structure AND background should be researched.

I also agree that Mother Nature does compensate....however, as in all things, sometimes Mother Nature "blinks" and there is always that one possibility of a disaster. Just be prepared.....

We personally have bred our 37.5" stallion to a couple of 34" mares more than once without a problem.

MA

Last edited by a moderator:
Jean_B said:
Remember that in the sport horse world, the vast majority are the result of breeding draft stallions (Clydes, Percherons, etc.) to thoroughbred mares and they do this successfully.

Nature makes sure that the foal, while in-utero, will conform to the mare's capacity.  The foal, after born, quickly grows to it's genetic size.

Would I do this?  Only after carefully researching the stallion's refinement and his other offspring.

490912[/snapback]

Agreed.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back