taking mini for walks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We live in a residential area and this is the only exercise my mini's get. We take them for walks most evenings and it can take up to an hour or more to circle the long block! Everyone comes out and see's the horses. Some even have treats ready. I hear little kids say "mommy..the horses are coming!". We've met neighbors from 3-4-5 blocks away and know everyone on our long street. This would never have happened had we not walked our minis. They adore the attention, exericise and I can tell when they know they're going home. They start walking faster, with a little spark in their step....because I always let them graze a little on the front lawn.

My mares are not afraid of anything. Cars, motorcycles, dogs barking, sirens, etc. Nothing gets them riled. I'm now looking forward to walking my filly and colt. I'm sure it'll take much longer than an hour now that some people will be seeing a baby mini. If you can believe it, some of these people and/or their kids have never even seen a live horse, let alone a miniature! The babies will blow them away!!

Yup, today I took my miniature for a walk...its quite relaxing and fun! They seem to enjoy it too and it can be good exercise too.

I agree with the others.

It's fun to take my guy for a walk and I think he enjoys it also. It exposes him to different things, plus he gets to see life "away from the barn". It's relaxing for both of us... I talk to him and point things out to him like he's a toddler - lol
default_yes.gif
: (well, he IS my little toddler boy) :lol:

I'm glad this thread was started because taking my guys for walks when they come home is one of the things i'm looking forward to. :bgrin

Genea

Is anyone concerned about dogs running out of people's driveways and hassling there mini when taking walks? I was walking my yellow lab yesterday and these 2 dogs raced out from someone's house. This scared me and made me think that these dogs might bother the mini. Would a dog bite a mini horse. I just don't know what I would do exactly if in this type of situation.

Well the other day I was walking my mini, and a few dogs did start barking at us...luckily though they were chained up and didnt come and try to bother us. I dont quite know how loose dogs would react though...people should keep their dogs on leashes, even if it is just in their yard.
default_yes.gif
:

When we lived in CA we took our minis for walks around the block every night. They loved it!
default_yes.gif
: They never acted barn sour and they have much better manners than our dogs!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: They don't drag you,(most of the time
default_wink.png
: ) like some dogs do, and the people driving down the street loved to stop and watch them, lol. Ours were three yrs old when we got them, but even if they had be older/ younger, I don't think it would have made a difference. My first horse(a big one) was very sick at the time, and we later lost him. Being able to grab a mini and go for a walk, to get away from everything, was very theraputic and really helped me get through it. I don't see why you would have any problems, just have fun!!!

[SIZE=18pt]I take mine for walks all the time. We go for a 3 mile walk 3 times a week and we lunge and do ring work 2-3 days a week and then they will get 2-3 days off. Depending on the weather. They love to go for their walks. It also helps them get used to vehicles, and other noises, and people. [/SIZE]

Christy

What a great idea--I am a dummy. I was walking 2 miles 4 x a week until I got my minis--I stopped because I was busy taking care of them--it never occurred to me to take them on a walk. I miss my walks.

I live in a equestrian neighborhood where every one has 3 or more acres. Not a lot of traffic--perfect for walking a horse. Thanks for this thread. and DUHHHHH
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks,

Robin

Latest posts

Back