Tail Help New to Forum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket8

Reaction score
I have always had horses. I just now downsized to a mini after having my daughter because I didn't have time to own a full sized horse. I bought my mini at an auction because she was severely underweight and scared. Later I found out after giving her a bath that someone had banded her tail and it was severely infected. The vet cleaned her up and her tail ended up falling off. He was certain she was going to die. Well here we are and now that she has gained weight back we would like to show her. What do I do with a bobbed tail for a show? It's growing but, I don't even know how long it will get. :/ Are there fake tails for minis. She's a Grulla Pinto. Very pretty and I would love to show her.

I also plan on breeding her. She is a grade mare but, I would love to get another one that looks like her. It's so nice having a mini. I can get 4 and it would equal to one full sized horse. They are really like potato chips!

Also I would like to enter a novice driving class. What would be a good outfit that I could use for halter and driving?

249167_10150934624859223_1132682086_n.jpg

Hello!

She looks well!

I come from a draft horse background, and plenty of them have docked tails, so I'd suggest looking into how the tails are tied up in a bun. Otherwise I'd leave it as natural as possible.

Fake tails are more or less illegal in the registered mini breed shows, but Shetlands have fake tails tied onto cruppers for driving.

Although its tempting to breed, please carefully consider rescuing another instead. Mares like yours end up in the auctions due to overbreeding and lack of registration papers, so you would only be contributing to the sad problem by breeding your mare instead of using your resources to rescue. Papers never guarantee a good home, but it does increase the odds. And although your mate is cute, she isn't really breeding quality by breed standards. She is "pretty looking" but not conformationally exceptional.

There are plenty of fun options for minis, I hope you enjoy her!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point of banding a tail on a horse? Is that like what is done on lambs??? I lead a sheltered life; I've never heard of that.

Thank goodness you have her now, and she looks fantastic! She is a good size for you and your daughter to enjoy.

Check into some local shows, such as 4-H, or open horse shows. What you wear will depend on the type of show, and what style of driving she does. Lots of good information on the Forum about those topics.

I am not sure how often a foal turns out the same color as its mother. There is a lot of scientific genetic color information available. You may want to do some research on the subject.

I love rescuing that's my problem I would rescue so many. She is like my other child. I just don't know how hard it's going to be to find another Grulla. My family owned an appaloosa breeding farm. A friend of mine has a Silver Dun with who is black homo. Not looking to sell just to keep as my own. I would eventually like to drive them together. Thank you for telling me about the tails. I had no clue. When you downsize and move to something that is completely different it gets confusing. I went from raising appy's to racing Standardbreds to downsizing to a mini. All of which is so different and somewhat alike in some ways. She was an Amish horse and my guess was never wormed because her coat was thick as thick could be and it was only September. She was 75 lbs underweight and her teeth were horrible. She seems to have a good bite but, is slightly cow hocked. She moves freely and seems to have enough space to where she doesn't hit. Cow hocking must not be too bad. Just took her out again today and she will do anything and everything I ask of her. Even drove her on the road. I line drove her for weeks while I waited for my cart and threw her in the cart last week. She has been previously driven before but, it has been forever. I have owned her Since Sept. of last year. The show that I plan to take her to is just an open backyard show and it's Pony Single Pleasure Hitch but, they do require proper equipment and wardrobe. Prayerfully I pick up on this quick.

Oh and who knows with the tail. Makes me furious! I guess now she just has character!

Minis come in so many colors it won't be hard for you to find a grulla or an appy or anything in between!

I have already started to look for a buddy for her since she is in a barn full of Standardbreds. But, I haven't been able to find anything that looks like her. When I bought her it was just for fun but, now I am starting to get more serious with it by buying a cart and selling my horse. I never thought about finding anything to match. And she is 36". Don't mind her terrible shave job. We needed to rough clip her for spring it was terrible! Last two photos of her was a week after we got her. The one right after her tail fell off... yuck!

154793_10150831423925864_1759302159_n.jpg

574963_371684916213161_100001149673371_976660_1788377573_n.jpg

318170_371682672880052_100001149673371_976653_1421742494_n.jpg

314509_10150390733479223_1812656813_n.jpg

385209_10150390727479223_1305514382_n.jpg

You should be able to find a match sometime! She's pretty!

I'd go and have fun and wouldn't even worry about her tail. If someone asks, just tell them the truth. No big deal!

I'd also rethink breeding her. You could very easily lose her and/or her foal. Foaling out MIniatures is not for the faint-hearted.

Thank you! We are still debating on what we want to do. If I don't decide by the end of this month we will be waiting until next year. We shoot for spring babies always. We just haven't bred anything this small before. We have a Standardbred that was just bred about a week ago which is going to be a very late baby if she takes. Currently we have a yearling colt, a 2 year old filly and, a 4 year old mare (Standardbreds). I have honestly been debating since we had a good friend who bred her mini years back the foal was huge got shoulder locked and we couldn't even get it out. Needless to say the filly died and the vet came and had to cut the filly apart to save the mare. I have seen complete gore. We have also had twins (Appy Mare) We didn' know or we would have had the other pinched off. One came out looked healthy and we thought the placenta had dropped and it was a colt instead and he was dead. The filly we noticed had issues with her back legs turns out she had no ligaments. We also had a Standardbred colt who was shoulderlocked who also suffocated. Tried everything. We got him out and he was around 100 lbs. BIG BOY! No horse breeding is for the faint of heart. And I am extremely attached to her so I am on the fence about it. Oh and she's 33" I just saw the mistake. I appreciate all of your comments. I would just need to find another that looks like her which has proven to be a very tricky task.

Latest posts

Back